Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nizwa College of Technology and TATI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Man I too really dread driving in Oman....especially when seeing the EFL spirits that drive along the road between Muscrat and Nicewa! Laughing
Tazz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen it as anything more than a 'dread-end' job..... Laughing
parched

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first couple months of driving here you're on high alert, and rightly so, as you're getting used to the ways of locals. Gradually, you settle in and become more comfortable, as I now am.

There is a lot of negative commentary about living in the hinterlands and working for the COT on this forum, but this past year I've had an experience that I'd characterize as fairly positive overall, so know that it's not all bad if you come with an open mind and an ability to adapt to new circumstances.
balancedsentiments

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second all of parched's posts - they're 'balanced'. Yes, there are negatives, but you can find positives to balance them out if you look for them. It all depends on your personality and how you approach things.

Tazz says this is a dead-end job. That's true if you're looking to be promoted. The higher positions are filled by Omanis. However, once you've established your street cred, so to speak (which can take a while or not, depending on a lot of factors), there are opportunities to make your voice heard and make some changes, but you need to have a proven track record first, as in most organisations.

There are positions available again. Some of them are unfilled from last year. Not because there weren't any suitable applicants or lack of acceptances, but because of an unfortunate confluence of events. Pretty much nothing in the way of labour clearance and the subsequent visa issue happens during Ramadan and the week or so after it. It was a problem. (Not that that should be a big surprise - try getting things through government departments or anything but the lowest courts in Dec/Jan in Western countries and you'll find that patience is a very big virtue.)

A number of people took other jobs and were no longer available by the time all the paperwork came through. TATI and Nawa (spelling?) were fastest off the block once processing started again and filled their quotas. A couple of other lecturers turned up later from I'm not sure which agency, then we were too far into the year to take on any more new people.

Don't be despondent if you've applied and haven't heard anything. We all think that we're the centre of the universe and our needs should be addressed immediately. You'd be very surprised if you knew how many things the HoC has to deal with and how much time they can consume. Based on a couple of comments, i think interviews are about to start.

Last edited by balancedsentiments on Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:08 pm; edited 4 times in total
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that TATI are advertising again-but now their advertisement comes minus any details about salary...'attractive tax free salary' whereas before the actual amount was mentioned. A sign that maybe either the salary-or some of 'the package' being offered-is about to be reduced?
No Place Like Home

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The salary does not seem to be going in any direction since I was last in Oman in 2014. At that time I was with Globnet and the salary was around 1,400OMR, now I'm applying to go back with TATI and it's exactly the same. Same package, same T&C, same holidays. Can't wait to come back regardless of this, lovely country, lovely people Smile
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I suppose 'loveliness' is in the eye [or mind] of the beholder....I personally can't see much that is 'lovely' about the Omani interior-either the place or the people.Rolling Eyes Maybe that's why I'm leaving. Very Happy And let's face it-the focus on the Omani forum discussion is so often salary orientated because many of us are here for the money. I think that the recruiters-or the Ministries should be made aware of the 'lovely' nature of the place.....who knows-maybe they can get away with offering vastly reduced salaries and still get sufficient applicants? now that truly would be 'lovely' for them! Razz
No Place Like Home

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The experience is what you make it. I had been in Saudi for 18 months before that, so anything was an improvement!

I had a really nice time, worked at an average college with average students, had no particular problems with the place or my agency, enjoyed my proximity to a resort where I could hit the pool after work, had a great Omani landlord, was very well treated in banks and shops, and the college is very happy to have me back.

Considering in my country of residence I have to work 40 hours a week before I even look at admin, for 1/4 of the salary I was earning there (ie equates to 8x times my current salary if you consider a 20hr teaching load), I do not have any problems going back and TATI have been very efficient processing my application so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: