Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opportunities in Burma for qualified EFL teachers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sudz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Opportunities in Burma for qualified EFL teachers Reply with quote

Hi there.

Any recommendations out there for someone with decent qualifications: MA TESOL, several years of experience, IELTS certificate etc.

I think the majority of schools I've encountered aren't too fussy about such things - and I'm not sure whether or not I qualify for an international school without a PGDE.

Anything info would be great.

Cheers
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most jobs in Burma for TEFL teachers pay around $1,000 = $2000 a month...with an MA expect around $2,000 a month with international schools but you will get shared housing....but be careful who your roommate is...he could by a spy!!! Shocked Shocked
Sudz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roommate portion is the part that scared me off : )
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a roommate is one thing if you know the person...but being told you are going to share an apartment with a total stranger is a real wakeup call...do not share and say NO WAY...you will most likely regret the decision if your roommate turns out to be a plant aka spy...even when he and/or she befriends you! You are forewarned! Shocked Shocked
simon44

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught in Yangon 2 years ago, and have just checked up on rental prices for living in Yangon right now.

It is very true that condo rents have increased a lot. But if you rent a 'flat' in an old tenement building, then the rental amount is still very reasonable. It is possible to find somewhere for $150 per month.

But bear in mind that these flats are local accommodation, absolutely not up to 'Western' standards. It depends on whether you can do without your western comforts and want to enjoy living amongst the locals.

I did this and enjoyed it very much. I rented a flat on the 3rd floor of an ld building near to the river (in Lamadaw), for about $120 per month. Bedroom, living room, kitchen and bathroom. No air-con, no generator, interesting brown water from the shower pipe etc.

I don't think you need to worry about 'spies'. When I used to work in south Myanmar about 5-8 years ago, there definitely were spies who followed me around and asked me in a friendly manner as to which locals I had chatted with today. The locals themselves would voluntarily report any conversations that they had with me, fearful that they would be targeted by the police if they did not do so.

But in Yangon in 2012/13, I never had any feeling that I was being watched or followed. The local police were friendly, but avoided chatting with me because (I assume), they spoke no English at all.

At no time when I lived and walked at night in the worse slum areas of Yangon did I feel threatened or apprehensive - teachers were (and still are) respected.
Sudz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slumming it local style wouldn't bother me much - it's not like I'm balling it in my shoe box apartment here in Japan.

Is there much in the way of uni work in Burma? Also, might anyone know if an MA TESOL could perhaps get me into an international school?

Really appreciate it.
Tarantogosh

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are American, their embassy has a programme similar to the BC.
piglet44

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: