Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High yield savings account -- 3%

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie123

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: High yield savings account -- 3% Reply with quote

My bank is offering 3% for a savings account. Does anyone know of a better offer in the Sultanate. Also, where else are expats putting money away, perhaps at a better rate? I'd like to get 6% on a safe investment if possible.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never invest my money in any of these countries. Though Oman is relatively stable, I always transferred my money out every couple months to my investment accounts in my home country.

I have known too many people who lost most of their life savings when a country imploded or was invaded... (such as Iran or Kuwait)

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would invest a small amount in gold coins such as the American Eagle, Canadian Maple Leaf or the Australian Kangaroo.

While you will not get a massive increase on your investment, it is a stable emergency stack if you want to escape a country that might become unstable (e.g. death of a ruler without succession, neighboring country at war...). Cash money may not be accessible if ATMs are empty and banks are closed. Gold will buy your way out of trouble.

For a large amount of money, I would buy a property in the home country and rent it out while working overseas and then use it as a retirement place.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: