Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How is the teaching Market - Chile late 2016

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ham Sandwich

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: How is the teaching Market - Chile late 2016 Reply with quote

Hello and thanks for your time to read my question.

I've read threads about teaching English in Chile (mostly in Santiago).

Brief Background:

15 years teaching experience: kids, teens, GE, TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS, study abroad programs in 3 countries. Two in East Asia.

IELTS Examiner in speaking and writing for almost 3 years.

*Caucasian/white male (sorry for ethnic but in some countries it's an issue).
*Age 46 (but people think I'm late 30s.
*BA + 1 TEFL cert
*Started MA Ed/TESOL years ago but stopped after 1 quarter b/c of cost and heavy theory in program (in the US).
*Privately taught mostly Korean children, teens, business people for 6 years.

Perhaps this is not relevant but I'm between B1/B2 in Spanish speaking, listening and reading.

I cannot / do not teach children anymore (ages 5-12), but can do all other ages.

1. Will I find work in Santiago in bilingual schools, language centers quickly? (Yes, I have savings)

2. Do privates take some time to find (I understand word of mouth, referrals and reputation are important.

3. On average what are monthly savings?

My lifestyle: casual, local food, a couple of local beers a couple/few nights per week, and I am content with a clean studio apartment if necessary.

I'm not a money-grubber, but an average monthly savings for old age needs to be calculated to give me a sense of the situation.

Reason for wanting to go to Chile: I've been to Mexico, Central America and Columbia, Ecuador, and Peru, and like the culture. Never to Chile.

Also, I've been in Asia a long time and a change would be interesting and new for me.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
dackinator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your experience it may be worth looking at British council in chile. They dont teach, but they are involved in ielts and examinations, and may have something that would interest you.
Ham Sandwich

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dackinator wrote:
With your experience it may be worth looking at British council in chile. They dont teach, but they are involved in ielts and examinations, and may have something that would interest you.

Thank you for the response.

I am currently an IELTS examiner.

There is a demand for examiners?

The testing jobs may be filled.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: