Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

family friendly schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toyiki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: family friendly schools Reply with quote

I have a degree in English lit and a PGCE. I'm currently teaching high school students.I have a British passport. I'm looking for new opportunities which will enable me to teach language arts/literature. My main concern is for my two children. One will be kindergarten age and one will be in primary school. Any suggestions for schools which provide accomodation on campus and free or discounted tuition?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you... Male/female? Single/married? (It matters.)
toyiki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm female and married to a Turkish citizen but I think I will go with my kids, I don't know if my spouse will come with me.
izmigari

Location: Rubbing shoulders with the 8-Ball in the top left pocket

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your husband is Muslim, which I suspect, you could have a big problem bringing them w/o him if your relationship is not good.
toyiki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We havent really discussed it. He has a good job in Istanbul. And I think it would be difficult for me to sponsor him as I have heard it's harder for husbands to be sponsored.
desertdawg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of the exact requirements, but at the least you would require written approval from your husband to take the children with you if he were to stay in Turkey.

I'm not familiar with the current job scene in the Middle East in your area, however with a PGCE and experience I'm sure you could find work and your employer would either provide free or heavily subsidised schooling and childcare or an education allowance. As far as I am aware an allowance for kindergarten is pretty rare.

Good luck!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mid East isn't one size fits all. It would help if you can pin down which countries you're most interested in (or prefer to avoid).
Gulezar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: family friendly schools Reply with quote

toyiki wrote:
Any suggestions for schools which provide accomodation on campus and free or discounted tuition?

Not many places in the UAE, Qatar, Oman or Kuwait provide accommodation on campus. I wouldn't want to hazard a guess as to KSA. In Abu Dhabi you could get a place near the British School or the American School, walking distance. Those apartments tend to be over-priced. Due to the heat, most people get a car, and if that is an issue, they rely on buses or taxis.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that there are any international schools that offer on campus accommodation. Possible, but highly improbable. The majority of universities do not even offer that.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toyiki wrote:
I'm female and married to a Turkish citizen but I think I will go with my kids, I don't know if my spouse will come with me.

This is why I mentioned China and Hong Kong (on your general forum thread) but not the Mid East. It's too complicated a region for a solo parent (especially a female) with young children.

The responses you've received so far on both the China and Hong Kong forums are promising.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: