Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

learning French

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ericjohns

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: learning French Reply with quote

Bonjour! I just wanted to ask if those of you working in France spoke French before you moved there and if not how long did it take you to learn? Which methods did you use (self-study - lessons - lang exchange)?

Due to the recent harassment of new members on this forum for asking questions Infeel a need to have to explain (which I shouldn't) but I got a job offer from France which I have accepted. Will be moving in the next few week Smile
Merci a tous!
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ericjohns

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Report Post

I have a holiday at the end of April and am going over to Poland to visit the country with a friend. I plan on visiting the two cities to get a feel for the place.

So, you're cancelling your visit to Poland, eh?

Interesting that so many 'new members' on this forum who write exactly as you do have in fact been banned over the past few weeks. Clearly the mods don't think this is so innocent.
Ericjohns

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not cancelling my trip to Poland but I won't be going with the idea to get a feel for the place as a potential to move. This opportunity came up and have decided to take it. It's strange how things work out. and I asked a few questions about Poland to get a feel for the place and life - it's good to be secure before moving and doing as much research as possible before making a life changing move. I guess my university taught me well...
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are both moving to France and taking a trip to Poland in the next few weeks? That seems unreasonable.

It would also be interesting to know what sort of school gave you a job at this highly unlikely time of year. As contracts are usually Sept/Oct through June, April/May is normally totally dead time in terms of finding new jobs.

I am highly doubtful that this poster is genuine.
Ericjohns

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
So you are both moving to France and taking a trip to Poland in the next few weeks? That seems unreasonable.

It would also be interesting to know what sort of school gave you a job at this highly unlikely time of year. As contracts are usually Sept/Oct through June, April/May is normally totally dead time in terms of finding new jobs.

My trip to Poland is planned for the end of April and my move for the beginning. Yes, it's very possible. If you like I can upload pictures of my tickets etc if that will get you off my case...
Ericjohns

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

There have been quite a few jobs in France recently published and jobs are always available for the right candidate. You know nothing of my situation, contacts or qualifications...

You playing sherif HAS TO STOP!!
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, there are quite a few of us who are onto this sort of thing these days. I'm by no means alone in being suspicious.

In any case, you are betraying the fact that this is not your first or only identity by being so aware of 'sheriffs' on the boards.
Ericjohns

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Oh, there are quite a few of us who are onto this sort of thing these days. I'm by no means alone in being suspicious.

In any case, you are betraying the fact that this is not your first or only identity by being so aware of 'sheriffs' on the boards.

Not at all. I was referring to a post I read on the China board where someone referred to you as a 'sherif'. This is my first 'identity' on here... what are you talking about? Sad
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troll Season.
Ericjohns

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is ridiculous
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: learning French Reply with quote

Ericjohns wrote:
Bonjour! I just wanted to ask if those of you working in France spoke French before you moved there and if not how long did it take you to learn? Which methods did you use (self-study - lessons - lang exchange)?

I got a job offer from France which I have accepted. Will be moving in the next few week Smile
Merci a tous!

If you're moving to France in the next few weeks, asking about learning the language prior to working/living there is moot at this point. Once you get to France, ask your employer if language lessons are provided. Easy breezy.
Ericjohns

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: learning French Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Ericjohns wrote:

I got a job offer from France which I have accepted. Will be moving in the next few week Smile
Merci a tous!

If you're moving to France in the next few weeks, asking about learning the language prior to working/living there is moot at this point. Once you get to France, ask your employer if language lessons are provided. Easy breezy.

Thanks for that. I have GCSE and AS level French from 14 years ago (16 for gcse) and haven't spoken it since then.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: learning French Reply with quote

Ericjohns wrote:
I have GCSE and AS level French from 14 years ago (16 for gcse) and haven't spoken it since then.

There's no reason why you wouldn't quickly pick it back up since you'll constantly hear it. Just like we tell students their English improves the more they hear and use the language. Shocked
Paris teacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied French on my own before I arrived here. I used the text Colloquial French by Routledge, as well as Hugo's French in Three Months. Another one I like is Teach Yourself French. In addition I use to make flash cards and study them on the metro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: