Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the possibilities for someone with M.Ed (TESOL)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paris teacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: What are the possibilities for someone with M.Ed (TESOL)? Reply with quote

Hello, everyone!
I am currently employed as an EFL teacher in Paris; although I love the city, I work very long hours just to get by. I would love to settle in Paris, but I am seriously entertaining the idea of going someplace where the wages are high and teaching/saving for two years.

Regarding my situation, what do you recommend?
1. B.A. in English literature.
2. M.Ed. in TESOL (not by distance learning; I was in residency for 18 months to get this degree)
3. Second B.A. in Spanish with a minor in French
4. Second M.A. in Spanish (Latin American literature)
5. I taught two courses in English composition and ESL at the community college in the US for two consecutive years.
6. I taught English composition and literature for two consecutive years at a private college in the US.
7. Since 2013, I have been teaching EFL at a university part time and working at a language school.

So, M.Ed. in TESOL (2001), age 42, no children, single status, and a total of 5 years teaching English/ESL at the tertiary level.

What do you think? What would be the most lucrative place in the region to work for two years?
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should go directly to the home pages of various universities in the Gulf and send off your CV. TESOL job fairs are a good way to get the decent jobs but you need to fly over. Keep scanning the main job sites like TES and the various sites for university gigs like higheredjobs.com.

To be honest, you may need a couple of years of teaching experience in the Gulf to get a stab at a direct hire university position.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi Arabia offers the best opportunity for saving. (You wouldn't need Mid East experience for a direct-hire position in KSA.) Since you have solid qualifications, avoid the Saudi job listings on TEFL job boards unless they indicate they're direct hire (nearly most are not). Instead, consider attending TESOL Arabia 2017 in March; major employers in the region recruit directly and hold in-person interviews during the job fair.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think employers would look for someone with previous experience in the Middle East in the first instance. Almost every job that I have gone for in Saudi the question is asked about my previous experience and ideas about teaching Saudi students.. That is not to say that you couldn't get a direct hire job but to say previous experience wouldn't be needed is something of a blanket statement that is probably wrong..
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
I think employers would look for someone with previous experience in the Middle East in the first instance. Almost every job that I have gone for in Saudi the question is asked about my previous experience and ideas about teaching Saudi students.. That is not to say that you couldn't get a direct hire job but to say previous experience wouldn't be needed is something of a blanket statement that is probably wrong..

I didn't make a blanket statement; the "you" in my response was directed specifically to the OP and his/her qualifications. An MA TESOL hits Saudi employers' main mark in terms of a TESOL-related master's degree, and experience teaching multinational students (including Arabic L1s) in a US college/university IEP scores additional bonus points. So unless the job ad states previous Mid East experience is a must, the OP isn't likely to have any issues securing a direct-hire spot in KSA.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blanket statement is you stating that previous experience isn't required when it often is.. How many teachers now have an MA in TESOL? More than before and employers are always looking for experience in the Middle East.

Although informative, you have a habit of somehow presenting yourself as the know-all of all things Saudi and somehow you can never be wrong!

To be clear, there is nothing wrong with well qualified applicants applying for jobs in KSA or elsewhere in the Middle East. But, to say that previous experience has no bearing at all on being employed is a real stretch or blanket statement to be quite honest with you!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those same direct-hire Saudi employers also attend TESOL International each spring to recruit qualified American teachers with US tertiary experience. That's no different than job fairs in the US and UK targeting experienced k-12 teachers for the Gulf. Obviously, Mid East experience isn't high on their list compared to relevant experience/competencies.

Anyway, no need for any ad hominem attacks on me. This is a forum for discussion; you questioned my comments and I responded with my reasoning.

Seems we'll have to agree to disagree.
Paris teacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your replies. I do plan to attend TESOL Arabia in Dubai in March. In fact, direct flights from Paris are fairly reasonable.

You are correct in that I do not have experience in the Middle East, however, many of my students have been from that part of the world, and I have traveled in majority-Muslim nations before. I am also interested in studying Arabic; in addition, I can live without alcohol, and I do not eat pork.

What I am hoping to find is a university position that pays at least US$4,000 per month and provides one with rent-free accommodation very close to the campus. I do not mind having a studio. I do not plan to drive in this part of the world, so proximity to the campus is very important.

Once again, I thank you for the advice, and I shall be in Dubai in March; in addition, I plan to look into recruiters and direct hire.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris teacher wrote:
What I am hoping to find is a university position that pays at least US$4,000 per month and provides one with rent-free accommodation very close to the campus. I do not mind having a studio. I do not plan to drive in this part of the world, so proximity to the campus is very important.

I suggest you check out The skinny on direct-hire university opportunities over on the Saudi forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: