Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My experience at Sakkara Lang. School, Cairo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gorria

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: My experience at Sakkara Lang. School, Cairo Reply with quote

There have been some questions posted about SLS. I worked there last year. Its in Maadi. Its a private K-12 school, not a "language" school meaning its a regular school but the kids also study English and French. You'll probably be teaching three classes, all the same grade so easy planning, 6 hours per day. Personally, I loved working there. The English department is small (7 teachers) and the staff room becomes a second home. It is a great school for new teachers to Egypt. They do post a lot on this website, but that makes it a lot easier to break into Egypt. Some of the other jobs are hard to get unless you are already there.
The turn over is high, but its circumstantial. Most of us wanted to stay last year, but then we found higher paying jobs in the international circuit. Other schools will hire after you work there because you learn so much - there is very little curriculum support. Its a challenge getting everything together. The parents can be very sweet or obsessive. Basically, we had a lot of fun last year and the kids are so sweet. I can't say enough about the kids. They make all the little problems (that you'll find anywhere and everywhere) worth it. The problems are basically the administration asking you to do too much - and there's an easy solution, say no and don't feel guilty about it. I really recommend Sakkara for new teachers or anyone who really is looking for a job in Egypt.
rahma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did they hire you? I've seen postings from them as recently as a few weeks ago, and just sent in my cover letter/resume/pic thingy a few days ago.

Also, what is the reason they ask for a picture? And are there any teachers there that wear hijab?
gorria

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: SLS Reply Reply with quote

They hired me in June, about a week after I sent in my information, but others were hired at the end of August. Some people apply then drop out so there are often late hires. The kids don't come to school till mid september so even if you're hired now you won't be less prepared. They might call you for a phone interview, but might not. They hired me without an interview. I'm not sure why they ask for a picture. The man that does the hiring was not at the school last year (one of the owner's sons). None of the foreign teachers wore the higab - we were from the US, Canada and Ireland. They do sometimes hire Egyptians to teach English, and then they might wear higab, but they prefer to have native English speakers for 1st grade and above (nursery and KG are also in English but most of the teachers are fluent but just not native speakers). Most of the women teachers at the school wear higab, but not all. Some are Coptic Christian (btw 5-10% of the population) or Muslims but don't wear higab.
Good luck!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rahma,

I have never applied for a job in the Middle East without the employer requesting a photo with the rest of the application papers. It seems pretty standard. What, if anything, they are looking 'for' probably depends on the institution.

It never bothered me, even though it would be illegal here in the US for them to do that. Smile

VS
sonicdude

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, asking for a photo with the resume is standard practise in Egypt. Egyptian job seekers themselves have to do this, not just foreigners.

Although for sure employers justify it with a wide assortment of rationalizations, in my 5 years living and working in Cairo I observed a tremendous amount of male managers did seem to hire certain females based on looks. Of course I could never accuse them of this as it would be met with various denial techniques (or anger, which is often a red flag for guilt). Obviously I am not trying to imply that all hiring males do this, but I found it very interesting at the companies I worked for to see that a lot of young women brought into the company were pretty or cute although lacked proper skills or experience. It all boils down to lack of sexual control, male ego, subtle perversions, and the inner desire to want to flirt with the employee. I think you know what I am getting at.
xnihil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think just about everything Gorria wrote in her post was accurate. My wife worked there last year and had exactly the same feelings. If it weren't for a job more in her field that came up, she would have been happy to stay on for another year. Despite all the iffy posts on Sakkara here, she'd reccomend it for most anybody with the right outlook, especially new teachers.
CherubRocker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just this moment been offered a position, and after reading all of this I definitely feel tempted!
Was the night life good in Cairo?
elrasho

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CherubRocker wrote:
I've just this moment been offered a position, and after reading all of this I definitely feel tempted!
Was the night life good in Cairo?

Hi did you respond to the Job advert in the Jobs section? I did but had no response
ksolo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cherubrocker, I was thinking of applying also. Did you get accepted for the position yet? And if so, would you mind sharing any details? Thanks!
ksolo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes, the nightlife in Cairo is great. Everything is open very late, and the city is beautiful at night. There are a decent amount of clubs and bars and tons of cafes, some things are open 24/7. You wont be bored, believe me!
mstiff84

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied for the school back in May! I had a friend who worked there a year or 2 ago and she suggested the school. I even had regular contact with the administrator and was promised a position. I got a random call one day from an Admin. asking if I still wanted the position about a month ago, told him of course and haven't heard anything since! My friend hasn't either.

Just to see that they are looking for teacher, but wont call and tell me " sorry you are unqualified" or " no you didn't get the position." is a kick in the face! Yeah not a slap, a kick. I just like people to be honest with me.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mstiff84 wrote:
Just to see that they are looking for teacher, but wont call and tell me " sorry you are unqualified" or " no you didn't get the position."

I didn't think that they were all that demanding of qualifications which is why many people use it as an entry level job in Egypt (with rather dependable conditions - not great, but not awful). BUT... employers in the Middle East are known for this type of non-communication. It is a pain. On the other hand, I found US colleges to be little better in this area.

ksolo wrote:
You wont be bored, believe me!

It is impossible to be bored in Cairo... even if you aren't the least interested in the Night Life. Laughing

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: