Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HCT: Compensation Package
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SC30

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is the salary package in HCT for 2016 new hires?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one knows... none have been reported. I don't know if any offers have even been made.

One thing for sure, no one in authority who knows is talking about it.
The whole place is just a total mess these days... from frustrated angry scared teachers up to the very top.

VS
RunHome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC30 wrote:

There are no new hires that is why the info is so hard to come by. Indeed, the opposite is the case. People with still enough of a pulse to claim they are alive are running away in their droves from HCT; while the pulse-less are clinging on in the hope that if they do so, they might get 30% of their earned gratuity 4 months after they get kicked out.
2buckets

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RunHome wrote:
SC30 wrote:

while the pulse-less are clinging on in the hope that if they do so, they might get 30% of their earned gratuity 4 months after they get kicked out.

Fat chance.
robinbanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: HCT-Compensation package Reply with quote

Are there any MLiars-sorry...MLI'ers who remember around ten or eleven years ago they were offered about a quarter of their full package.still the "old school"cling on,and play on-like the orchestra on The Titanic.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How nice of you fellows to insult people who just might need a decent paying job with benefits... teachers with families and kids in school. You can hardly be so callous as to blame them for trying to hold on for another year or two or three. The good jobs are few and far between right now.

Single people have so many more options around the world. A bit less gloating would be... more polite...

VS
robinbanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: HCT-Compensation package Reply with quote

Good point,veiled sentiments.There's not much out there.Perhaps my analogy was a little harsh.I think they're more Homer's lotus eaters,who cannot envisage life anywhere else and can still pretend UAE is pre-2005 "good old days".[/i]
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: HCT Compensation Package Reply with quote

RB,
Many of my former colleagues teaching at HCT actually arrived in 2009, not pre-2005 golden days, so we can dispel the lotus eaters analogy. Also, as VS has commented, many in their 30s and 40s are still there because they have families to support and few FT prospects back home that would provide benefits (particularly in the US where health care costs can be prohibitively priced for a family). For now, at least, there are no better options for many of them.

On the other hand, I can't imagine how much one could save when having to pay tuition for 4-5 children since fees far exceed the allowance.

PS
intedu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: in general they pay quite well Reply with quote

There is a lot I do not approve of from the HCT. More than a lot. One good thing is the package. The pay and terms of payment are exceptional and this is for anywhere. If you are going in as an English Teacher in Foundations, there may be some uncertainty in the near future but since the place is such and administrative quagmire that is also uncertain. The HCT is unpredictable weird. Many experienced long-term faculty feel that foundations is phasing out and is currently being dismantled, however; you could return to a fireworks display and pay raises in September. I doubt that, but it is possible.

If there is one reason to go to the HCT it is because in general they pay quite well, and conditions are good – in this sense.

If you had other options elsewhere I would go there – but if you don’t, you will get a pay check. The good thing about being new, honestly, is that if you are unaware of the past it can be a reasonable place to work. I say this in all sincerity as I have watched new colleagues arrive and enjoy the last 2-3 years while more veteran faculty watch the sky fall. I imagine a 3-year contract could be fine, but beware – it is not a perfectly functioning organization.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: