Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visas And Work Permits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
General Incompetence

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Visas And Work Permits Reply with quote

I need some general information about visas and work permits.

What is required for a work visa, and how difficult is the process, i.e., criminal background checks, etc.?

How common is it to work on a tourist/visit visa as in KSA?

Thanks!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For starters, be aware that qualifying degrees that entailed online coursework are not accepted by the Qatari government.
lodzubelieveit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
For starters, be aware that qualifying degrees that entailed online coursework are not accepted by the Qatari government.

This isn't true for all distance learning degrees, as I had mine accepted last year.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lodzubelieveit wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

This isn't true for all distance learning degrees, as I had mine accepted last year.

To teach at which university? Also, what year did you graduate; older distance MAs might be grandfathered in.

The job ads for Qatar are very likely to indicate what's acceptable. For example:

From the last job posting for the Community College of Qatar:
Quote:
The Community College of Qatar seeks highly qualified and experienced instructors in the following fields for the Academic Year 2016 – 2017. All applicants must hold at least a Master’s Degree in a relevant field, PhD preferred, plus a minimum of three years college level teaching experience. Applicants must indicate whether any of their credentials were earned wholly or partly online or by distance learning.

And according to Georgetown Univ. Qatar:
Quote:
For university diplomas issued by U.S. institutions, the steps are as follows:

Obtain from the registrar of the university an official copy of the diploma and a letter confirming that the degree was earned in the classroom as opposed to online. If your degree is blended (some classroom instruction/some online instruction), the letter must confirm what percentage took place online...

Source: http://qatar.sfs.georgetown.edu/employment/employee-immigration/immigration-documents
lodzubelieveit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't for teaching at a university. The MA was from 2012.
helenl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work permit/residence visa requires a Qatari sponsor, usually your employer. It is illegal to work without the required sponsorship. You cannot rent an apartment, get a driver's license, or access other necessities without the requisite paperwork.
General Incompetence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't asking about university jobs, and I am still interested in learning how tedious the process of getting the visa is: How much paperwork, e.g. criminal background checks, etc.?

helenl wrote:
Work permit/residence visa requires a Qatari sponsor, usually your employer. It is illegal to work without the required sponsorship. You cannot rent an apartment, get a driver's license, or access other necessities without the requisite paperwork.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General Incompetence wrote:
I wasn't asking about university jobs, and I am still interested in learning how tedious the process of getting the visa is: How much paperwork, e.g. criminal background checks, etc.?

See the link to the "Immigration Process and Documents Needed" posted in my second response for a general idea of what's required.

Edited to add:

Qatar previously accepted degrees/credentials that entailed partial online study. However, from the Qatari Embassy in London:

Educational Qualification Rules

Please note that according to the request of the concerned authorities in the State of Qatar as of 1st June 2016, all Educational Qualifications (Level 5 and higher, see appendix) must be supported by the 3 items below:

1. Certificate/Diploma
2. Supporting transcript
3. A cover letter from the issued educational provider confirming ALL the points below:
    • The mode of study: whether full-time or part-time
    • The type of study: whether distance learning (E-Learning) or Face to Face learning (on campus learning)
    • Location of study
    • Location of examinations
    • The actual dates of study (start date and the end date)

Kindly note:

• All 3 items mentioned above have to be attested by the UK's Foreign & Common Wealth Office (FCO) prior to submitting it for legalisation at the Embassy of State of Qatar - London.
    • Any certificate obtained via distance learning (Online) will NOT be accepted for legalisation.
    • For any certificate, where the place of study and examination are outside the UK will NOT be accepted for legalisation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: