Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maybe be in Phnom Penh this autumn. Experience in Korea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaz47

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject: Maybe be in Phnom Penh this autumn. Experience in Korea. Reply with quote

Hello again Cambodia board, I haven't posted here in quite some time! I've been home in the US for a few months after finishing a 10 year stint in Korea. The pay was stagnating even though most things at my school were pretty good. It's been a nice visit home as well, but the US is way more "interesting" than I would prefer and winter is coming...

Anyway, a few questions for you all:
1.) With a BA + TEFL + 10 years of experience what are my options?
2.) What are the general pollution levels like in Phnom Penh and could I find flexible work there with my present credentials? I would ideally want to tutor adults and don't estimate needing more than 20 hours a week.
3.) How expensive is organic, gluten-free, etc. food there? After 10 years of instant noodles my digestion is terrible and I've been trying to eat healthier.
4.) I just turned 41 and have a decent vacation beard going. Is this going to complicate finding work? Additionally, is there a strict dress code in many places? I don't want to "suit up" in SE Asia.

Much thanks in advance. Very Happy
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't mention if you have been there, but Cambodia is still pretty much a basketcase that is still mostly undeveloped and living off foreign aid. There are very high tensions there now following the recent murder of a prominent political activist. Crime is fairly rampant. Read the news.

So, in general, I wouldn't recommend going there to teach unless you're looking for adventure or a chance to live on the edge. There is a "scene" there though, mostly kids, alcoolics or the terminally insane, and some fun to be had. However, there's very little money to be made and not much in the way of stability and security.

1.) With a BA + TEFL + 10 years of experience what are my options?

Language schools or "universities" that pay about $10 per hour (minus tax). There are also many unaccredited "international" schools where you might get a monthly salary.

2.) What are the general pollution levels like in Phnom Penh and could I find flexible work there with my present credentials? I would ideally want to tutor adults and don't estimate needing more than 20 hours a week.

Still a lot of aging vehicles on the road and traffic is quite heavy during rush hour. Piles of rubbish abound near market areas.

Again, the money is just not there and there aren't a lot of adults studying English. You might find some Korean/Japanese expats.

3.) How expensive is organic, gluten-free, etc. food there? After 10 years of instant noodles my digestion is terrible and I've been trying to eat healthier.

You'd have to cook for yourself. There are some western style supermarkets in PP, but I doubt that they have much that is truly organic.

4.) I just turned 41 and have a decent vacation beard going. Is this going to complicate finding work? Additionally, is there a strict dress code in many places? I don't want to "suit up" in SE Asia.

Looking sharp will increase your chances of getting the "better" jobs just like in any country. Most schools take anyone they can get though, people who are willing to work for very low pay and in terrible conditions with no benefits and plenty of unpaid holidays.

As I said, read the news:

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/

In addition, there are several expat forums and job websites. Search for
"expat forum cambodia" and "jobs cambodia" to get more detailed info about life and work there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: