Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming from Korea. Clarity on the VN ESL Scene
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually in the process of getting certified teaching status and a lot of what SinaloaPaisa has been saying concurs with what I've learned/heard.

The first-tier prestigious international schools, especially in desirable locations, can afford to be picky, as their conditions are often excellent, but, they invariably work you very hard for it. Lots of admin, meetings and extra-curricular activities. Like I said, they often take very good care of you, and competition for positions can be fierce, but it's not all gravy. Furthermore, as has been said, you need experience to crack that nut.

Besides, from everything I've heard, there is nothing wrong with a decent, second-tier international school, at least to start with. Like SinaloaPaisa, I also know someone who went straight from certification to teaching in Kuwait, (only see her occasional Facebook posts, but she appears to be renewing, so she mustn't hate it). Another guy I know, an Aussie, went to China to teach in a second-tier school straight after graduating, gained experience, and is now living and working in Oslo.

Anyway, I'm not discounting the benefits of getting a few year's experience at home and this is something that I am seriously considering doing. This is despite the fact that I have no real desire to work in Australia and I'd just do it to have it done with and gain the experience so I can go international. However, there appears to be more than one way to skin a cat and I'd certainly be open to a decent second-tier international school, especially if it's in a country I'd like to live in.
SinaloaPaisa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
SinaloaPaisa wrote:
I always see questions like "What are my chances etc etc"

As a general rule of thumb

So long as you have a license and are not picky about school or location, you will find a job. Math and science teachers have more leeway as those licenses are harder to find compared to say primary teachers and social studies.

Newb teachers with no experience usually start out in lower tier schools or good schools in unpleasant locations that more experienced teachers will avoid esp ones with families. China and the ME are usually very good starting points. No I don't mean the elite schools in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Dubai, Abu Dhabi etc.

Don't fear though, after you get those first 2 years under your belt (hopefully with good references) you can move up to better schools and better locations.

I'm curious as to what you believe "experience" should entail. In other words, references aside, what specific experience do you expect to bring employers at the better schools?

Similarly, from The International Educator (TIE):
    Education Requirements
    International Schools are looking for teachers who hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher in their subject area. Therefore, if you are planning to teach Social Studies at the middle or high school level, you should have a degree in history, political science, anthropology, sociology or any of the other social sciences. The same applies for secondary teachers of English, Mathematics, Science and other subjects. Elementary school teachers should hold a degree in education, childhood development, or other related subjects.

Experience
    Is overseas teaching experience required to get hired by an international school? No, you need not have taught overseas before! But you do need a minimum of two years of teaching experience before you can teach at an international school. Contrary to a common misperception, teaching abroad is not the place to learn how to teach and to get your first experience running a classroom. International schools are looking for proven performers who can hit the ground running and are capable of managing their own classroom independently.

And from a top int'l school in Qatar:
    For faculty positions, preference is given to candidates with advanced degrees, certification, at least two years of experience in an accredited elementary or secondary school and experience in teaching the specific subject area for which they are applying. All teaching candidates must have an undergraduate degree. Transcripts are reviewed for breadth and depth of courses taken, as well as scholarships.

In a general sense, experience just means you have proven to be able to teach your subject to a satisfactory level.

Don't believe those adverts and supposed requirements you see online.

Go off real world info from people in the know.

Just look at that advert saying you need minimum 2 yrs experience to work at an international school.

International schools hire newbs every year.

Can pretty much disregard all of that overtop dream world employees schools write on their vacancy postings. Only the top 1st tier elite schools can afford to be that picky. Outside of some 2nd tier schools in really desirable locations.

Best to stick to my general outline for teaching in IS schools which the poster above has heard also.

Many of the newb teachers are from alternative certification programs.

Maybe it's good people think its hard and stringent to teach overseas. Keeps people at home lol

@1st Srgt. Welsh

I would recommend you not teaching in Aus. Unless you plan to live at your moms you will be able to save a lot more and have more fun at an international school.

Last edited by SinaloaPaisa on Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also not sure what the obsession with 'experience from your home country' on these boards seem to be.

Let me honestly ask you if an international school in say Laos or an Indonesian Island would prefer someone who

a)has taught in the UK/USA to a majority of English first speakers
b)Good materials, curriculum assistance, white boards in every classroom, student's who know the rules/regulations [don't talk etc.] where there is some discipline
c)Have good housing and a whole host of food options
d)Don't require paperwork to work there except maybe a social security number
e)All staff from a similar/same country with similar interests

OR

a)A guy who has taught in an international school where every pupil is a second language English learner
b)Where they have taught students who have been through Asian schools i.e rote learning
c)Who are familiar with Asian/local cultures
d)Who speak a separate language which is useful locally
e)Who is used to power outages
f)Who is aware of all the paperwork required to obtain a visa
g)Who can handle local customs and the heat
h)Who is laid back about not having materials
i)Who can create things out of nothing because there isn't a whole host of curriculum assistance.
j)Who can accept that in Asia alot of things are done last minute or just cannot be done

Tell me which teacher you will, as a principal of a school, have to spend more time integrating into your IS culture?
SinaloaPaisa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no obsession with it in the real world.

It's just most IS think people go the typical route ie education degree. They would prefer non newbs so they just say get 2 years in your home country.

An actual principal isnt gonna care where your experience came from for the most part. And I'd wager as you said he will actually put more stock into the teacher who has taught abroad.

Adjusting to life abroad is not easy for everyone. Many teachers from the states can't hack it and end up quitting. Which cases schools a lot of headaches.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine going from a nice small village middle school in the UK to a crazy, hot, non organised school in the middle of a bustling Asian city would be a massive change of pace for most people.

If you've shown you can do it then that's got to count for something surely?
Spelunker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: re: all fair points Reply with quote

EDITED-Duplicate post

Last edited by Spelunker on Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Spelunker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: re: all fair points Reply with quote

I knew an English girl who was teaching in the same rural chinese city as I was teaching in. Me, only, degree, tefl, and still the same....but more experienced now. Her, career teacher, go getter, went back home to do PGCE in the UK. She walked out of one class at the college we were at, and was always griping about teaching. Now, is it just me, or, if you are going to teach students at some tough inner city school in England or international school abroad after obtaining said PGCE, and you can't even handle a class of chinese students (out of the two classes, I would choose the latter!) ,before you have even begun to study it, perhaps, just perhaps teaching or at least TEFL is not for you, I don't know, she may well have go on to make a very good teacher of writing or another subject in the UK and/or abroad, but if you can't handle 14-16 classes a week at a chinese college without an axe to grind, then it sticks out like a blind cobblers thumb doesn't it? PS. Did not go to Uni until I was 25, and worked all manner of jobs before then....and I could still make the students like me in China, unlike many other qualified to the hilt teachers from the UK,who gave up, packed up, and went back to boring life in the UK, or teaching in other 3rd world (compared to china) destinations because they did not want to return home.....the PGCE mob can talk a good talk, but they should do it back home, in the UK, and leave TEFL to those of us who want to and can do it.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SinaloaPaisa wrote:
In a general sense, experience just means you have proven to be able to teach your subject to a satisfactory level.

Just lol at that advert saying you need minimum 2 yrs experience to work at an international school

"Proven to be able to teach your subject to a satisfactory level" is both vague and ambiguous because there are no measurable benchmarks or standards. That won't cut it if you expect to impress top American-curriculum, accredited schools. If that's your response on your cover letter as to why you're the best person for a position at a top international school, then... Anyway, this goes back to my point about accreditation. It's analogous to attending for-profit Westwood College versus a regionally-accredited institute of higher ed.

I recently completed my second, education-related master's degree. My emphasis is in eLearning/training at the adult level; however, the majority of my classmates were licensed k-12 teachers, so I have a very good sense (and experience) of US teacher competencies. This includes using technology and Web 2.0 tools for teaching and learning (per ISTE Standards), developing lesson plans with learning objectives tied to Common Core Standards, differentiating thinking and learning using Bloom's taxonomy, incorporating learner-centric strategies, creating scoring rubrics, regularly participating in continuing professional education/development, maintaining a teaching portfolio, and so on. In other words, teaching is multifaceted rather than one dimensional.

By the way, that top-tier job ad refers to two years of teaching experience in an accredited elementary or secondary school. You seem to be picking/choosing what you think fits your situation rather than looking at the big picture and focusing on what you need to do/have in order to be a well-rounded teacher.

We'll have to agree to disagree. If you're serious about becoming a credible educator at top tier schools, consider conducting several informational interviews rather than relying solely on IS discussion boards.
SinaloaPaisa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
SinaloaPaisa wrote:

Just lol at that advert saying you need minimum 2 yrs experience to work at an international school

"Proven to be able to teach your subject to a satisfactory level" is both vague and ambiguous because there are no measurable benchmarks or standards. That won't cut it if you expect to impress top American-curriculum, accredited schools. If that's your response on your cover letter as to why you're the best person for a position at a top international school, then... Anyway, this goes back to my point about accreditation. It's analogous to attending for-profit Westwood College versus a regionally-accredited institute of higher ed.

I recently completed my second, education-related master's degree. My emphasis is in eLearning/training at the adult level; however, the majority of my classmates were licensed k-12 teachers, so I have a very good sense (and experience) of US teacher competencies. This includes using technology and Web 2.0 tools for teaching and learning (per ISTE Standards), developing lesson plans with learning objectives tied to Common Core Standards, differentiating thinking and learning using Bloom's taxonomy, incorporating learner-centric strategies, creating scoring rubrics, regularly participating in continuing professional education/development, maintaining a teaching portfolio, and so on. In other words, teaching is multifaceted rather than one dimensional.

By the way, that top-tier job ad refers to two years of teaching experience in an accredited elementary or secondary school. You seem to be picking/choosing what you think fits your situation rather than looking at the big picture and focusing on what you need to do/have in order to be a well-rounded teacher.

We'll have to agree to disagree. If you're serious about becoming a credible educator at top tier schools, consider conducting several informational interviews rather than relying solely on IS discussion boards.

Obviously someone is not gonna write that on their cover letter.

Experience is not needed starting out. Just not even a debatable point. People can easily get 3rd and 2nd tier jobs without it. Now it helps for sure and the elite schools will usually not consider one without experience. Generally speaking, but even then it's not always set in stone. If you know an admin then regular protocols can be averted. But if you are a newb expecting the best of the best then you will probably end up disappointed.

Plenty of 2nd tier accredited schools out there. There are even some newly accredited 3rd tier schools out there. Definitely recommend newbs sticking to accredited schools.

After getting your feet wet people usually move up the ladder to better schools and locations.

I rely off my friends and colleagues. Even know an assistant principal at an international school.

They only affirm what I read on ISR.

We will definitely have to agree to disagree. I have friends working in IS with no experience and no relevant degree. Same with the other poster above.

Get that license and you are good to go.

The IS scene is quite varied. Not always black and white.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day this is still Asia.

Things are still done on 'who you know'.

Guess what? You earned your teaching license and have been working in Vietnam/China/Cambodia whatever for a year to introduce yourself to Asia and you've had the pleasure of drinking every single weekend with the principal of the British/American/Canadian/Insert International School name here. You'll likely get the job over someone he doesn't know.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: re: agreed Reply with quote

Quote:
Things are still done on 'who you know'.

If anyone thinks the "old boys network" back in the UK, or the royal system and the hierarchy of sycophants who serve it is bad, it is nothing compared with the elitism and hierarchy of things in Asia. Expats looking down on other expats, FT's looking down on other FT's, and Asians looking down on foreigners.....it's all explained by the oppressed minority syndrome. It's a condition that exists, is real, and I know it to be real because I have been on the receiving end of it.
twowheel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: re: agreed Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
the oppressed minority syndrome

...which is?

twowheel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: