Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

interest in the middle east

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rms08

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: interest in the middle east Reply with quote

Hello, I have 6 years teaching experience in Japan and South Korea. I have a Trinity cert and I'm almost finished my MA TESOL.
I'm looking for job opps in the TESOL industry that require a masters, such as teaching positions in Universities etc.
any leads or info would be appreciated.
thanks
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oman is a possibility; however, Saudi Arabia offers the best opportunity for saving. Check out The skinny on direct-hire university opportunities over on the Saudi forum if KSA interests you. For Oman, TATI and Hawthorn recruit teachers. The UAE might suit you in terms of teaching for ADEC or ADVETI, although salaries have dropped and don't offer much in the way of saving. The other Gulf countries expect 2-3 years of experience gained after MA conferral. Anyway, check out the numerous country-specific forum threads about working in the UAE, KSA, and Oman.

Be aware that the governments of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, and Kuwait will not accept degrees/credentials that entailed any online coursework. This info gets verified with your uni registrar as a requirement for an employment/work visa. Job seekers tend to use their on-campus BA if their MA gets rejected. However, the BA may not qualify for the better, direct-hire jobs. If that's your situation, then look at the numerous postings with Saudi contracting companies on TEFL job boards. Ditto for Oman and the UAE.
rms08

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Hello, thanks, I appreciate the info. My masters has no online component.
I'm not sure where I'll go, but i've been looking into options in various countries. However I'm thinking, am i just going primarily for the money? I know places like the middle east are a hot bed for teaching, but lifestyle can be the drawback. So I may go somewhere back out east in Asia where I enjoyed the lifestyle.
rtm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

rms08 wrote:
I know places like the middle east are a hot bed for teaching, but lifestyle can be the drawback. So I may go somewhere back out east in Asia where I enjoyed the lifestyle.

Be careful about overgeneralizing, though. Just as life in Korea or Japan is different from that in, say, Laos or Vietnam, life in the UAE is different from Saudi Arabia. I taught in Japan and also in the UAE and Qatar, and absolutely loved the lifestyle there.
David S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: General question Reply with quote

Have tried to send 4 private messages, but they are trapped in my outbox, even though by==my sentbox is only 56% full and my invox is 70% full.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: General question Reply with quote

David S wrote:
Have tried to send 4 private messages, but they are trapped in my outbox, even though by==my sentbox is only 56% full and my invox is 70% full.

FYI: They're not "trapped." It's because your PMs haven't been read by the recipients.

A PM initially sits in your "outbox" until the recipient actually clicks on it to read it. Once it's clicked on, it then moves to your "sentbox."
David S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

del

Last edited by David S on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAe ? May God have mercy on you ! Few come through that experience unscathed.
Wolfsong

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

rms08 wrote:
I'm not sure where I'll go, but i've been looking into options in various countries. However I'm thinking, am i just going primarily for the money? I know places like the middle east are a hot bed for teaching, but lifestyle can be the drawback. So I may go somewhere back out east in Asia where I enjoyed the lifestyle.

Yes it really depends on your main reason for going. If it's for the money then ME is the place. If lifestyle, then Asia is better. Saudi Arabia is a good place for saving money because there isn't much to spend your money on unless you go to Dubai every other weekend or spend money traveling around the region during vacations. S.E Asia is cheaper and more interesting but the pay is much lower so you can't save as much. It just means you have to be clear about your reason for going to one or the other.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: