Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to go after Korea - 2 years experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samgakji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Where to go after Korea - 2 years experience Reply with quote

Hi I'm wondering if you guys can steer me in the right direction.

I am done with Korea.
I will have 2 years of experience when it's up.

I have a TEFL 120hr certificate. University degree in Sociology. Canada, young, white male.

Where should I go next for teaching in Asia?

Hong Kong? Heard it's expensive.
Taiwan? Heard it's "dead"

I'd appreciate it if you work in either of those 2 places and enjoy it if you could tell me why. If you work in China, Vietnam, other places could you talk about what you like about your position.

Sorry that this is a vague request but hearing about other teachers' experience couldn't hurt. It might help others beyond me too. Thanks!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Where to go after Korea - 2 years experience Reply with quote

samgakji wrote:
I'd appreciate it if you work in either of those 2 places and enjoy it if you could tell me why. If you work in China, Vietnam, other places could you talk about what you like about your position.

Sorry that this is a vague request but hearing about other teachers' experience couldn't hurt. It might help others beyond me too.

You won't get much in the way of responses on this general forum. Best to post your questions on those specific country forums.
samgakji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Where to go after Korea - 2 years experience Reply with quote

Hey nomad soul, where do you work are you a teacher?

nomad soul wrote:
samgakji wrote:

Sorry that this is a vague request but hearing about other teachers' experience couldn't hurt. It might help others beyond me too.

You won't get much in the way of responses on this general forum. Best to post your questions on those specific country forums.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtually anyplace in the east Asia region outside of mainland China and Korea the jobs are largely found as boots on the ground opportunities.

In Taiwan the requirements are similar to Korea. Jobs are usually buxibans unless you are actually certified as a teacher (you are not by your description). Hourly rates are not uncommon. Visa issues can bite you in the azz.

In HK you don't qualify for the NET program so you would pretty much be stuck working in language centers. Conditions are similar to working in a hagwon in Seoul without the benefit of housing.

samgakji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thank you.
I was chatting with someone about working at a language center in HK and doing private tutoring on the side.

Have you worked in Taiwan though?

suphanburi wrote:
Virtually anyplace in the east Asia region outside of mainland China and Korea the jobs are largely found as boots on the ground opportunities.

In Taiwan the requirements are similar to Korea. Jobs are usually buxibans unless you are actually certified as a teacher (you are not by your description). Hourly rates are not uncommon. Visa issues can bite you in the azz.

In HK you don't qualify for the NET program so you would pretty much be stuck working in language centers. Conditions are similar to working in a hagwon in Seoul without the benefit of housing.

suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samgakji wrote:

Been there, didn't like the buxiban offers and moved on. That said, it isn't that hard to put something together that would leave you with a net after basic expenses that you earn in Korea. 55k TWD is a pretty common wage offer (about 2 million krw) for non licensed teachers.

I currently work in Thailand and earn about 4 million krw for a 160 hour work month as an admin. It goes a long way here considering most EFL teachers earn about 1.1 million krw/month paid in Thai Baht.

I am a little above the entry level for qualifications though.

samgakji

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, suphanburi it sounds like you are living an ESL dream. Great country and good job. I am taking a vacation in Thailand next month I can't wait

suphanburi wrote:
samgakji wrote:

Been there, didn't like the buxiban offers and moved on. That said, it isn't that hard to put something together that would leave you with a net after basic expenses that you earn in Korea. 55k TWD is a pretty common wage offer (about 2 million krw) for non licensed teachers.

I currently work in Thailand and earn about 4 million krw for a 160 hour work month as an admin. It goes a long way here considering most EFL teachers earn about 1.1 million krw/month paid in Thai Baht.

I am a little above the entry level for qualifications though.

Jmbf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samgakji wrote:
Hey thank you.
I was chatting with someone about working at a language center in HK and doing private tutoring on the side.

I know quite a few teachers doing this in HK. Conditions vary, naturally the more experience you have, the more picky you can be with teaching positions and the more you can charge private students.

Yes living expenses in HK are high, but there are signs that accommodation costs (which are the main expense here) are coming down. Moreover, the earnings potential here is very decent. For example, of the teachers I know who combine language centre work or local school work with private tutoring, the majority earn over HKD 30K / month, a significant percentage earn over HKD 40K / month and some high performers easily earn well over HKD 60K / month.

Small caveat, you can't expect to earn similar amounts FOB, but over time and with a bit of hard work, some local experience and networking you can also earn a decent amount.
Sudz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work in Vietnam, and had quite a positive experience. I landed a job at a private school, and the money/benefits were above average. However, I think competition might be more fierce now, and you might need slightly more in the way of qualifications to get in hired (actually though, you might be okay with your experience and cert).

China might be the way to go. Tons of work there at the moment, including private schools. I have worked in a few different teaching contexts, and generally prefer this line of work to that of language centers (in terms of hours, job satisfaction, and time off).

HK is cool, though I wouldn't want to scrape by there while working at language centers - a possible exception might be the British Council. I guess the private tutoring would help.

I'm currently in Japan working at a private high school, though have also worked at an eikaiwa and as an ALT. Eikaiwas are very hit or miss, and ALT is generally low paying and flat - unless you get into the JET program, or work directly through the board of Education (and not through a crappy dispatch company). I would honestly only recommend Japan for those who really enjoy Japanese culture (how it really is, and not how it is imagined) or for those who are qualified for the higher level jobs. I was fortunate to get a good gig, though I also have a lot of experience, and an MA TESOL (others here usually have some combination of significant experience working in Japan, a teaching related degree, or Japanese proficiency).

I think I'd lean towards China if I were you, though Vietnam might be a good bet as well! Thailand seems to be fairly low paying based on my research, though there are exceptions. One great thing about Vietnam isthat travel around SE Asia is quite cheap should you want to get out. As Korea and SE Asia are quite different, though contrast might be interesting for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: