Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best areas to rent as a foreigner,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amnail

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Best areas to rent as a foreigner, Reply with quote

I am going to Hong Kong next week to teach. I have never been there before, so I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the best areas to rent for about 8K or less! (I will earn about 21K)
Jmbf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, tons of variables to consider. Expats live all over Hong Kong. Some expats tend to congregate in the Mid-levels, Central, Wan Chai and Discovery Bay but even then the % of westerns vs locals is quite insignificant (apart from DB). Pricing in these areas is also quite high, probably out of your budget for anything other than a cage home.

Ask yourself - what are your priorities?

1. Convenience for work? (how much of a commute can you handle?)
2. Access to western shops / bars / restaurants?
3. Preference for space? (tiny studio, 1 bed apartment, more?)
4. Preference for estate facilities (swimming pool, gym, clubhouse etc)
Kowloon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you will be looking for a flat share of some sort? They are generally around 7-8k per month anyway. Depends on where you will be teaching
Spelunker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: re: accomodation is a problem in HK Reply with quote

A bachelor room can go for anything from 4-5000 hkd a month, but it will be literally just that....a room. A british guy I knew was paying 3,000 hkd to a vulture of a landlord who was a HK woman, and who had his flat (room) robbed once. It was in a very seedy area tho Embarassed

I paid 4,000 a month for a bedroom with small shower room (too small to turn around!), but no bills and free high speed internet, and right in between two mtr station exits, 7/11s, western style supermarkets all downstairs and outside....location wise could not be beaten. The higher end will get you nicer flats, but I seen one that was 20,000 a month in the mid levels, and it was still shoeboxy, but nice. I suppose you get what you pay for.....outlying islands will be cheaper tho, thats for sure.
RedLightning

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: re: accomodation is a problem in HK Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
A bachelor room can go for anything from 4-5000 hkd a month, but it will be literally just that....a room. A british guy I knew was paying 3,000 hkd to a vulture of a landlord who was a HK woman, and who had his flat (room) robbed once. It was in a very seedy area tho Embarassed

I paid 4,000 a month for a bedroom with small shower room (too small to turn around!), but no bills and free high speed internet, and right in between two mtr station exits, 7/11s, western style supermarkets all downstairs and outside....location wise could not be beaten. The higher end will get you nicer flats, but I seen one that was 20,000 a month in the mid levels, and it was still shoeboxy, but nice. I suppose you get what you pay for.....outlying islands will be cheaper tho, thats for sure.

How did you go about finding your apartment?
Jmbf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy! Canvas the areas you are interested in. Once you have found an area you like, approach some of the real estate agents (they are everywhere, usually street side G/F) and give them your requirements. They will show you around apartments until you find one you like.
RedLightning

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:
Easy! Canvas the areas you are interested in. Once you have found an area you like, approach some of the real estate agents (they are everywhere, usually street side G/F) and give them your requirements. They will show you around apartments until you find one you like.

I appreciate it
Spelunker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: re: as jbmf said... Reply with quote

I saw an advert in an estate agents window that had some english on it, but I did not rent that one. Instead I stayed in a long term stay in a guesthouse, but it was NOT the usual guesthouse style rooms, they were small, but a bit more spacious, and cleaned more regularly/thoroughly. Also, word of month, can be another source. Keep looking and you will find, good luck.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rents are down compared with last year and the general market outlook isn't that great so don't forget to bargain!
travelbuguk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Best areas to rent as a foreigner, Reply with quote

amnail wrote:
I am going to Hong Kong next week to teach. I have never been there before, so I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the best areas to rent for about 8K or less! (I will earn about 21K)

How did you get on with your search? Serviced apartments are also an option, on Kowloon side they can be affordable.
amnail

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Folks, for your replies. I did finally rent a small (very small) studio in Causway Bay for $6800, not including bills or internet.

I am quite happy with it since it is right in the center of things! Still trying to get my internet set up. They say they will come on Sunday and it will cost $385 a month, which includes a few tv channels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: