Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work as a primary school teacher in HK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
travelbuguk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Work as a primary school teacher in HK? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I’m thinking of returning to Hong Kong, I was there for 3 years and worked in a language centre before getting a job at an international school as an EFL Teacher. At the time, my qualifications were a CELTA and a few years EFL teaching in the UK and Japan. I was accepted into the NET scheme pool but this didn’t result in finding a NET job.

I returned to the UK (where I am from) and completed a PGCE Primary qualification. I enjoyed my EFL teaching so much I decided I wanted to take the ‘next career step’ to become a qualified primary school teacher. Now I work at a UK primary school teaching 5-6 year olds all subjects. As much as I love this job the workload is crazy and I’m working at least 10 hours weekdays in school followed by 1-2 hours at home. On weekends I work around 5-6 hours at home on a Sunday.

I am thinking of completing this year academic year in my current job and then looking for work back in HK. Does anyone know what the workload and salary are like in international schools in HK as a primary teacher? Also what would my chances be with only 1 year of experience as a primary school teacher?

Thank you
Very Happy
kpjf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your best bet is posting this somewhere like http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=259cb19a31670a9cdd6a91bac10ea548

This HK page isn't so active and on Dave's it's generally not the best place for international school advice. The people on that above forum are usually pretty fast to reply.

However, from what I have read international school jobs seem to be pretty competitive in HK (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that).

I am doing my PGCE in secondary at the moment. I was also thinking of just doing 1 year post-pgce in the UK and then going to Asia, due to all the comments about the stress, long working days, average salary etc. But, for the really really good international schools I think you'd need more than 1 year post-pgce.
travelbuguk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you kpjf I'll check out the link x
travelbuguk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made it one year post-PGCE and have decided to stay one more year before I start looking for work in Hong Kong. Does anyone have advice on job market there at the moment and what type of salary I could expect?
Jmbf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EDB NET scheme is as competitive as ever. As before the best bet is to secure a local school job and then transfer after a year or so into the scheme. The salary scale is here: http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/sch-admin/admin/about-sch-staff/net-scheme/remuneration-package.html

Basically the current salary range (including allowance but excluding retention bonuses and flights etc etc) is approx 47 - 73K / month.

Assuming they accept your UK experience (which they should as long as you have all the documentation) you could probably start at 50-55K / month.
travelbuguk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:
The EDB NET scheme is as competitive as ever. As before the best bet is to secure a local school job and then transfer after a year or so into the scheme. The salary scale is here: http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/sch-admin/admin/about-sch-staff/net-scheme/remuneration-package.html

Basically the current salary range (including allowance but excluding retention bonuses and flights etc etc) is approx 47 - 73K / month.

Assuming they accept your UK experience (which they should as long as you have all the documentation) you could probably start at 50-55K / month.

Thank you. I would hope I would be able to get onto the NET scheme again, as I managed to get on it before my PGCE (on the lowest tier). I think to be honest though I would be holding out for an international school.

I think my chances would probably be better if I was in HK rather than trying to be recruited from the UK, but financially I'm not sure if I would be able to do that.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

travelbuguk wrote:

I think my chances would probably be better if I was in HK rather than trying to be recruited from the UK, but financially I'm not sure if I would be able to do that.

You are correct that your chances are much better of securing a position while you are physically here. There are so many other highly qualified candidates applying for the same positions that the whole situation is very competitive. Being here on the ground available to come to interviews on a moments notice gives you an advantage.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: re: hmmmm Reply with quote

Quote:
Thank you. I would hope I would be able to get onto the NET scheme again, as I managed to get on it before my PGCE (on the lowest tier).

And just what qualifications did you have to "get on" at the lowest tier? They would not accept my B.A. in English Literature and 100 odd hours TEFL certificate from the same UK uni, even for a work visa Rolling Eyes Agree it is probably better to be there on the ground looking for work and at local schools, but it is still no guarantee, and will they provide you that elusive HK work visa? I left empty handed with no work visa.......but then I heard from other FT's and the imported help (domestic maids), they make it difficult for everyone.
travelbuguk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: re: hmmmm Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
Quote:
Thank you. I would hope I would be able to get onto the NET scheme again, as I managed to get on it before my PGCE (on the lowest tier).

And just what qualifications did you have to "get on" at the lowest tier? They would not accept my B.A. in English Literature and 100 odd hours TEFL certificate from the same UK uni, even for a work visa Rolling Eyes Agree it is probably better to be there on the ground looking for work and at local schools, but it is still no guarantee, and will they provide you that elusive HK work visa? I left empty handed with no work visa.......but then I heard from other FT's and the imported help (domestic maids), they make it difficult for everyone.

I had my BA, CELTA and a few years teaching EFL (UK, Japan and HK). I was maybe very lucky to get in the NET scheme primary pool but this didn't actually turn into a job although I did have 2 interviews which I arranged myself rather than through the pool.

Were you in HK when you applied? I was living in the HK so attended the interview there.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: re: not the net scheme Reply with quote

I was at a language centre type gig, but I have now given up on both China and HK as places to teach, due to the visa problems. They are both pretty much becoming the same anyway. Good luck.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: re: not the net scheme Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
I was at a language centre type gig, but I have now given up on both China and HK as places to teach, due to the visa problems. They are both pretty much becoming the same anyway. Good luck.

I understand you are frustrated with what happened to you but I don't think this is true at all. Yes, some parts of the biggest cities in China might be superficially comparable to Hong Kong but even then there are currently a lot of differences. And I'm not just talking about physical stuff like infrastructure but cultural and historical differences. Mentality and attitude differences. Yes, HK is changing, slowly merging with mainland China, but it will be a long time before the two are indistinguishable.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: re: fair points... Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, HK is changing, slowly merging with mainland China, but it will be a long time before the two are indistinguishable.

The first step, which on completion of that bloody stupid high speed rail link (kcr works just fine for me!), is linking in with Shenzhen. Once that is all done and dusted, then they will work on merging HK and Shenzhen together, yes it will be a long time, but many parts of the New Territories are dirty, filthy and mandarin speaking, so not much different from parts of the mainland. I give Hong Kong another ten years....at best. The good days of the early 00's are over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: