Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where would a dual citizen living in a third country start?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paris teacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Where would a dual citizen living in a third country start? Reply with quote

I am a citizen of the USA and Ireland, but was raised in the United States. I currently teach in France. I did my degrees in the United States in Nevada and Arizona.

I am seriously considering applying for university jobs in Saudi Arabia for September of 2017, but the whole process seems daunting, even to someone who is used to French bureaucracy! Do I have to fly back to the USA to do the medical tests? Do I get a police clearance from Arizona, Ireland, or France? What about degree attestation?

I want to start the ball rolling after I get back from my vacation in September of 2016. That gives me a year to undertake this procedure, including a visit to Dubai for the TESOL Arabia conference in March of 2017.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no general rules. It all depends on your employer. One of the "better" employers can fix it. For example, I am a British citizen and when I was resident in Bulgaria, which has no Saudi Embassy, two different employers managed to recruit me with no need for me to return to UK for visa processing. HOWEVER both employers are "wasta-rich". One was the State Airline and the other was KFUPM. It may be more difficult oif you are going with Uncle Al's Language School.
Wolfsong

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Where would a dual citizen living in a third country sta Reply with quote

Paris teacher wrote:
I am a citizen of the USA and Ireland, but was raised in the United States. I currently teach in France. I did my degrees in the United States in Nevada and Arizona.

I am seriously considering applying for university jobs in Saudi Arabia for September of 2017, but the whole process seems daunting, even to someone who is used to French bureaucracy! Do I have to fly back to the USA to do the medical tests? Do I get a police clearance from Arizona, Ireland, or France? What about degree attestation?

I want to start the ball rolling after I get back from my vacation in September of 2016. That gives me a year to undertake this procedure, including a visit to Dubai for the TESOL Arabia conference in March of 2017.

I think it depends on which one of your passports you would be using. That would determine which rules applied. An educated guess would be that the procedure might be simpler using your Irish passport but I could be wrong about that.

As for the police clearance you might need one from each country you are a citizen of + France because that's where you have been working. A hassle, I know. You should look into the procedure for attestation both in the US and Ireland and decide which country is easiest and use your passport for that country when applying. With the police clearance keep in mind not to apply for it too early because jobs in the ME often ask for one which is less than a month old. That complicates things because you have to time your police application right - neither too soon or it will be out of date or too late to take up a job.

Medical tests I couldn't say for sure. But it seems likely they would have to be done in the country where you are a citizen of. In your case Ireland would obviously be much nearer to France than the US would. Gather as much info about procedures in both countries now so that at least it will be easier to decide which passport to use.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police clearances aren't that common. I taught in Kuwait, Oman, and the UAE and never was asked for one. Seems to be a factor in military related teaching and mainly in Saudi.

Female applicants will probably never be asked for one... nor for university level teaching.

VS
Wolfsong

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Police clearances aren't that common. I taught in Kuwait, Oman, and the UAE and never was asked for one. Seems to be a factor in military related teaching and mainly in Saudi.

Female applicants will probably never be asked for one... nor for university level teaching.

VS

So you didn't teach in Saudi? It was specifically Saudi the OP was asking about.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your point other than your usual argumentativeness?

This is in the "General Middle East Forum" so obviously many readers may need general information. And the OP mentioned attending TESOLArabia and would thus encounter employers in other countries of the Gulf.

VS
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only needed a police clearance from the US - my local county, to be exact - for my Saudi visa. All they seem to care about is the passport that's officially tied to the Iqama, not where it's been or what else it's attached to. The EU was far more strict in this regard...

As far as actually getting the visa from a third country, I've heard it's been done but generally you'd want to do it from the country that's going to be applying for the passport - in your case, I would recommend the US as it's going to get the most job offers while the Irish one I almost guarantee won't get much attention.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Police Record Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

VS

I got a police clearance to work in Saudi. I was asked for a "police record", which of course, I do not have. I was told to go to my local police station and get a letter saying that I do not have a police record. One more box ticked!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: er Reply with quote

I had to get the criminal record check done for a shitty job in Kuwait many moons ago. It was a royal pain in the arse. I did it all online but it took several months due to them putting bar codes on docs instead of signing them. Also needed docs proving I lived in the UK, hard for someone who's lived overseas for years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: