Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cant decide on the living arrangements
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Arab/Muslim culture Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
Basic information is available but does not cover the intricacies and complexities encountered in daily life.
SQU has an extensive induction booklet for newbies, which is most helpful. However, other places have squid all.

The squid ruled at SQU when I arrived. Nothing from mgmt, but help with the medical, legal process. Bank and phone company on campus... pre-internet and sat TV. All of us newbies banded together and figured it all out with some assistance from those that had been there the first two years. Get a car... head to Seeb or MQ for supplies. I came from Cairo so it all seemed very clean, peaceful, quiet, and organized. LOL All is relative.

VS
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was a TATI recruit and lasted 3 years in the deepest interior. No regrets about the experience and certainly pleased with the money banked but absolutely would NOT have gone to live/work in Ibri had I been better informed. Granted, I didn't do much research but was absolutely lied to by TATI staff regarding facts and information about the place. 'Yes, furnished accommodation will be an option"-it wasn't. "Yes, there s a range of public transportation options.'-there aren't. These recruiting agencies clearly don't give a toss about the people they hire and dispatch to some very remote locations. I also have heard one of their tactics with those hired from the subcontinent is to keep the passports as well. Pond life-for sure.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Passport confiscation Reply with quote

TATI isn't the only recruitment agency that lies...the others do too.

Taking an expat's passport is a common strategy to keep them from running away. Usually, the pre-text of "... needed for the visa arrangement" is used. If they give a loan to the expat to furnish the flat (AC, fridge, bed), they always keep the passport as security.

Forget about a relaxing weekend in Dubai wirhout a passport.

Feeling trapped
Sad
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TATI offered no loan that would cover even the basics-all they gave out was half a month's basic salary......around 500. I had my own money....but wasn't prepared to invest. A couple guys I know did, and then found themselves informed the following April that they wouldn't be retained for the next year!
danshengou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
i was a TATI recruit and lasted 3 years in the deepest interior. No regrets about the experience and certainly pleased with the money banked but absolutely would NOT have gone to live/work in Ibri had I been better informed. Granted, I didn't do much research but was absolutely lied to by TATI staff regarding facts and information about the place. 'Yes, furnished accommodation will be an option"-it wasn't. "Yes, there s a range of public transportation options.'-there aren't. These recruiting agencies clearly don't give a toss about the people they hire and dispatch to some very remote locations. I also have heard one of their tactics with those hired from the subcontinent is to keep the passports as well. Pond life-for sure.

Technically, furnished accommodation is always an option, if you pay for it. And it stands to reason that a range of public transportation options being available in the hinterlands requires a bit of further clarification Wink
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what the rental housing situation is like in Ibri, but, I was very glad to get Salalah as my posting. Having said that there were a few other potential spots that I think would have been doable. The one that I am really glad I missed out on was Rustaq. From what I hear, it's just a dusty town with one main street. The fact that 'rustaq' in Persian actually means 'rustic', probably says it all...
danshengou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general point with regard to living in less desirable locations is that the amount of money you are getting will probably be insufficient to compensate for the hardship caused by the isolation and boredom, which over time can really take its toll.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
The general point with regard to living in less desirable locations is that the amount of money you are getting will probably be insufficient to compensate for the hardship caused by the isolation and boredom, which over time can really take its toll.

Uh huh. Also it can do things to you. The following is purely anecdotal so take it for whatever you think it's worth, but, a friend of a friend just spent years in what would be considered a 'challenging' [but well-remunerated] posting in Saudi Arabia. By all accounts, prior to going, he was a pretty normal guy. My friend met up with him recently in Muscat and he said he was shocked by the transformation. Apparently, he's a shell of his former self and, according to my friend, it's almost likes his "soul has been sucked out of him". He may have pretty healthy bank balance, but, no amount of money is worth that.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'challenging' but 'well-remunerated' posting wouldn't be BAE by any chance? Got a 3-month stint coming up in mid-Sep (if I jump through all the clearance hurdles).

How long was he in Saudi?

The $4500 salary (worth an extra £350-£380 after Brexit due to the weaker pound) swung it, especially after the Omani CAS/Al Nawa confusion, the reduction in salaries/vacations, and the deduction of the first week's hotel costs from teachers' salaries).
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Siobhan 22. I'll send you a PM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: