Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Riga and Tallinn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirby42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Riga and Tallinn Reply with quote

Currently living in Russia and I'm just thinking about Riga and Tallinn. Got a few quick questions.

1. What's it like working and living there as an ESL teacher? I'd imagine it's quite similar to Russia although maybe I'm wrong.
2. Is it possible to find a decent number private students in these cities?
3. What sort of wage would you need to be earning to live comfortably in these cities? Enough to support a family?
4. I can speak Russian but I have no knowledge of Latvian or Estonian. Can I survive on Russian alone?

Thanks in advance Very Happy
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tallinn

1. A number of language schools have you running around teaching in companies and institutes. So, be prepared to be flexible.

2. Probably.. Again, I got an offer to teach a child for one hour three times a week at their house and with all the travelling involved I declined. You would need to get organised and do two-hour sessions/teach somewhere close to you to make things easier.

3. Wages were low and that is why I left. Even the university teachers are on about 1000 euros a month. Renting in Tallinn is expensive in comparison.. Even international students are paying 300 euros for a room, so apartments are around 400-500 euros anywhere near the centre.

4. You will have no difficulty speaking English and Russian to get by.

Overall, Tallinn is a nice place. If you could get a few good evening gigs and eventually find a cheap Russian apartment in the outskirts you could probably do quite well!
kirby42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the reply. Sounds very similar to the situation in Russia with regards wages and having to run around the city to teach.

Interested in hearing people's thoughts on Riga.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall being told that there is a pretty high level of competition on the job market in Tallin (it's a trendy place to be). That was a few years back; curious if it's still the case.
GF

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I recall being told that there is a pretty high level of competition on the job market in Tallin (it's a trendy place to be). That was a few years back; curious if it's still the case.

Yes, there still is. There are a lot more CVs coming in than there are decent jobs for native speakers. Most language schools don't even bother with native speakers as local teachers are often just as good and are far cheaper to employ.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Riga and Tallinn Reply with quote

kirby42 wrote:
Currently living in Russia and I'm just thinking about Riga and Tallinn. Got a few quick questions.

1. What's it like working and living there as an ESL teacher? I'd imagine it's quite similar to Russia although maybe I'm wrong.
2. Is it possible to find a decent number private students in these cities?
3. What sort of wage would you need to be earning to live comfortably in these cities? Enough to support a family?
4. I can speak Russian but I have no knowledge of Latvian or Estonian. Can I survive on Russian alone?

Thanks in advance Very Happy

Depends what you mean about being similar to Russia. It's a more Europeanised experience but with definite post-Soviet influence. Yes, market here in Riga is still good for privates and has the advantage versus southern Europe of being year-round. I returned here from Panama in May and things were slow, only had 7.5 hours, but have over 20 now, mostly privates. There's been a tilt in the market in recent years towards more young learners, but the majority of students are still adults. Riga has a bigger Russian community than Tallinn, is a bit cheaper and if you ever do go down that road, Latvian is easier for an English speaker (especially one with Russian knowledge) than Estonian is. In both countries you can usually get by with English, especially with the younger generation.
jm2505

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Tallinn is in the EU not Russia Reply with quote

I cannot speak for Riga, but as a resident in Tallinn I would suggest that before you ask about the teaching you get used to the idea that Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania are not part of Russia, nor are they CIS states. They are all part of the EU

If you have Estonian students you may find well find they are still sensitive about not wanting to be part of Russia ever again.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tallinn is in the EU not Russia Reply with quote

jm2505 wrote:
I cannot speak for Riga, but as a resident in Tallinn I would suggest that before you ask about the teaching you get used to the idea that Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania are not part of Russia, nor are they CIS states. They are all part of the EU

If you have Estonian students you may find well find they are still sensitive about not wanting to be part of Russia ever again.

Well, that is true for the Estonian speakers.... I knew a good Estonian friend who was was a Russian speaker and she had studied in the UK and was well educated. She told me that her country had been taken away from her and didn't feel like it was hers anymore!

Also, in class there is a big difference in attitudes between Russian and Estonian speakers on Putin and politics in general!
jm2505

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Tallinn is in the EU not Russia! Fact Reply with quote

Some facts rather than opinion are needed here...

March 1990 - Estonia declared independence from the Soviet Union.

March 1991 - In an independence referendum in Estonia which included Russian speakers - 77.8% voted in favour of Estonian independence.

2004 - Estonia joined the EU (again following a referendum of all residents)

2016 - NATO troops, in their thousands, are stationed in the Baltics (at the request of Baltic governments) to prevent Putin taking back control of the area.

A good brief web site on Estonian history can be found here http://www.estonica.org/en/History/1985-1991_Restoration_of_independence/The_road_to_independence/

So, Estonia is part of Europe. It is not part of Russia. it is not a CIS ....
irrespective of what opinions people may have.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Estonia is part of the EU and I never said it wasn't.. Just making the point that Russian speakers look upon things very differently to Estonian speakers. Also, I was surprised to learn that around 30% of the population (maybe higher) go to Russian schools and still learn Russian as their first language in Estonia. I heard that the government wanted to change this but things move slowly with these kind of matters.
GF

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
Yes, Estonia is part of the EU and I never said it wasn't.. Just making the point that Russian speakers look upon things very differently to Estonian speakers. Also, I was surprised to learn that around 30% of the population (maybe higher) go to Russian schools and still learn Russian as their first language in Estonia. I heard that the government wanted to change this but things move slowly with these kind of matters.

It's not 30% as Russians are about 25% of the population and not all of them go to Russian schools. Regarding the Estonian language in Russian schools, students in Russian gymnasiums have to do 60% of their courses in Estonian.
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tallinn is in the EU not Russia! Fact Reply with quote

jm2505 wrote:

March 1991 - In an independence referendum in Estonia which included Russian speakers - 77.8% voted in favour of Estonian independence.

2016 - NATO troops, in their thousands, are stationed in the Baltics (at the request of Baltic governments) to prevent Putin taking back control of the area.

A good brief web site on Estonian history can be found here http://www.estonica.org/en/History/1985-1991_Restoration_of_independence/The_road_to_independence/

It's not about people, it's about this *website* not having been upgraded in forever, and being 10 years behind in the news.

Dumping Estonia in with CIS countries is ridiculously laughable. Complaining that the esteemed moderators around here couldn't find their elbows with a map (of Europe) will get you banned for life+.

Estonia = post communist backwater. Now shut up and eat your soup.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tallinn is in the EU not Russia! Fact Reply with quote

expatella_girl wrote:
jm2505 wrote:

It's not about people, it's about this *website* not having been upgraded in forever, and being 10 years behind in the news.

Dumping Estonia in with CIS countries is ridiculously laughable. Complaining that the esteemed moderators around here couldn't find their elbows with a map (of Europe) will get you banned for life+.

Estonia = post communist backwater. Now shut up and eat your soup.

In fairness, it doesn't say anywhere on the forum that the Baltics are part of the CIS, it's the posters who are making the mistake of posting here, not the moderators. General Europe forum is better, though to be honest it's an understandable mistake.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The attitude here to Russian is a bit weird, though. Many of the locals will tell you how much they dislike Russian, yet they all watch Russian films, listen to Russian music, laugh at Russian comedy club, watch Russian sports teams, engage in Russian culture in so many other ways etc.

This month I had to go to the tax office here in Riga to sort some stuff out. The finer points of finance and accountancy are still (to my shame) beyond my Latvian abilities. Usually I got one of my ex-students to do it, but she seems to have left as her email and phone aren't working. I politely enquired whether it would be possible to get an English-speaking consultant to help me. I've taught some of their employees before, so I know that many of them do speak it.

I got a really stern reply back advising me that they only dealt in the "sole official state language" i.e. Latvian. Ho hum. I brought a friend along and had to buy her lunch for her trouble. When I went, 40% of the consultants were speaking Russian (!) So much for the sole official language policy....

Same in the wider society, most jobs, even crap ones paying 350-500 euro a month, require English, Russian and Latvian.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: