Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adjunct Interviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Adjunct Interviews Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have an interview next week for a college position. I currently work in a government settlement program, so I would appreciate any advice on the hiring process in a college-level position. Thanks in advance!
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Adjunct Interviews Reply with quote

Hello, santi,

I see this is an adjunct position. You didn't indicate if it is ESL or another subject.

Based on a few decades of experience in a variety of formal teaching settings, I found that interviews for adjunct positions generally are not as rigorous as full-time ones. Of course, the interview process can vary widely from one institution to the next. In my past experiences, there were anywhere from 1 to 2-3 professors who posed questions about methodology, years of experience, and/or a summary of a lesson that fared well (highlighting activities --the T's and Ps-- from presentation to guided practice to independent practice), and a host of other questions that would be difficult to anticipate but for which you probably know the answers off the top of your head.

Could you contact HR or the Dept. head to ask if there will be a panel (members of the Hiring Committee) and how you should best prepare for the interview (to determine if it will involve a presentation) and how long? However, I can't imagine that you would be expected to deliver a presentation without advising you in advance so that you will have adequate time for preparation. The professor(s) may simply ask you to summarize your credentials and experience based on your c.v. (be sure to take extra copies with you) and what levels and skill areas you prefer to teach and why. It also would be a plus to bring a few copies of a lesson plan or syllabus that you have developed in the past.

As you well know, the interview often concludes with a few minutes to address any questions you may have. [edit for irrelevant info]

I doubt it's formal so I wouldn't worry. After all, you are an experienced educator. Good luck!

PS Don't hesitate to PM with any specific questions you may have.

Regards,
PS

Last edited by peripatetic_soul on Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjunct Interviews Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:
I have an interview next week for a college position. I currently work in a government settlement program, so I would appreciate any advice on the hiring process in a college-level position.

Assuming Canadian colleges aren't so different from the US... Since you also have experience with young learners, make sure your responses and examples reflect an academic, adult language student. Also, check out the English language department's website for the types and levels of courses they teach, extracurricular activities, student demographics, etc.

For your interview questions... Ask about resources for teaching as well as opportunities for professional teacher development.

Good luck!
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Adjunct Interviews Reply with quote

Spot on, NS about recommended questions to the prospective employer in Canada (sorry I missed that detail--not the U.S.).

Good luck!

PS
santi84

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your input. I'll bring the whole portfolio. It's for an online/blended class (and not many hours at that), so I'll focus on lessons which used technology.
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed! Smile The interview involved a lot of questions about current educational technology and balancing multilevel needs. I think I did pretty well, so fingers crossed!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eyes and legs are crossed for you as well. Smile
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it! Your advice is much appreciated. I'll be busy for the next little while Laughing
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was quick! Congrats, santi-girl! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: