Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there any delays with YOK?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Are there any delays with YOK? Reply with quote

My paperwork was sent to Yok early July, but I have to receive my new residence permit, and the job starts on September 1st, but it's August 23rd, and I have no work permit. Since I have no idea what's going on, I've started to look for jobs in other countries since my university hasn't obtained my permit yet, and I need to work.
Larryj917

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: YOK Reply with quote

is always slow, or has always been in my 4 years in Turkey. I suspect they may let you start work if you have a contract, and send the permit at their leisure. Not to be preachy, but be sure your school is proactive. Bug them.
BrotherJimma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely need to stay on your school about it, but this is the norm here and not a reason to panic. It is quite common to receive your permit after 3 or even 6 months of working here. Bureaucracy is even slower than usual this summer, due to the closure of so many schools. Don't leave the country if you do not have your residence permit yet-I did so in this same situation, and I was forced to spend a month in Europe before I was allowed re-entry, despite having a signed contract and an appointment for the following day.
Larryj917

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: BrotherJimma Reply with quote

is exactly right. Turkish immigration is pretty unforgiving about overstays. If you stay in Turkey, you'll most likely be fine, but if you leave and try to return (depending on the date you first entered the country) you may be subject to a fine and a travel ban.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: