Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding jobs when you have higher qualifications?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

China and Vietnam are the emerging ESL markets.
danshengou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is plenty of action in China, not sure about Vietnam though. Do you have any examples of this happening in Vietnam in the tertiary sector?
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard you have to be on the ground in Vietnam.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
I've heard you have to be on the ground in Vietnam.

That's always been the case for Vietnam, but, in terms of the conditions offered there, I think that market's already peaked. Wages haven't really gone up in ages and the inflation rate over there is high so......

Don't get me wrong, I think Vietnam is still a great option for a budding TEFLer looking to gain some experience. Even experienced teachers can carve themselves out a reasonable income and enjoy a nice lifestyle over there while they do it. Having said that, I haven't lived in Vietnam for well over two years now, although I still do read the Vietnam board regularly and have a lot of friends over there.

In regards to China, I don't claim to have any real first-hand experience of the country (although I've visited Hong Kong briefly) but, from what I've been able to gather, I think that market has enormous potential and, for a TEFLer, China's probably not a bad place to be at the moment.
danshengou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:

In regards to China, I don't claim to have any real first-hand experience of the country (although I've visited Hong Kong briefly) but, from what I've been able to gather, I think that market has enormous potential and, for a TEFLer, China's probably not a bad place to be at the moment.

Indeed there are lots of uni jobs in China, but only a handful allow for substantial savings. Moreover, the Z visa is a pain in the arse to get these days, plus China itself is not a particularly 'fun' or 'interesting' place to be, especially outside the 'expat' areas of the Tier 1 cities.
ITeachYorkshire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I got a direct-hire job opportunity in Jeddah, KSA but not sure if this is a good offer:

16,350 SR monthly wage
500 SR monthly travel allowance
17,000 SR annual accommodation allowance
50% of accomodation allowance as one-off furnishing allowance
Use of their University hospital for health care

18 teaching hours a week, but topped up to 40hrs with desk-warming. 1 year renewable contract on mutual agreement.

I've heard from a friend that the accommodation allowance is pretty bad. But I'm wondering if this is probably the best offer I'm going to get in the KSA, current climate taken into account.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITeachYorkshire wrote:
I got a direct-hire job opportunity in Jeddah, KSA but not sure if this is a good offer:

16,350 SR monthly wage

18 teaching hours a week, but topped up to 40hrs with desk-warming. 1 year renewable contract on mutual agreement.

I've heard from a friend that the accommodation allowance is pretty bad. But I'm wondering if this is probably the best offer I'm going to get in the KSA, current climate taken into account.

Yes, that salary is good for KSA, especially given your lack of post-MA experience. The streets are not made of gold. Plus, as stated ad nauseam in these forums, salaries in the region are not as strong as they used to be. Declining oil prices and the push for qualified nationals to replace expats have had an impact as well. (By the way, direct-hire opportunities in KSA generally don't involve desk warming and hanging around campus.)

But seriously, figure out if you want to deal with looking for a flat (see Living in Jeddah on this housing allowance). Or if you'd be more comfortable working a contract that includes employer-provided housing (like KFUPM, if you're male). Regardless, you'll likely have to make some sort of compromise.

I suggest you head over to the Saudi forum since that's your target country.
RedLightning

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITeachYorkshire wrote:
Hey guys,

16,350 SR monthly wage

-The salary is decent...
-If you live within 2 kms of your workplace, the travel allowance might cover a taxi
-I'm not sure what you mean by the "50% one-off furnishing allowance", but 17000/year will cover less than half of your rent (livable apartments range from 2500-4500 SAR/month)
-I won't comment on your health care
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by the "50% one-off furnishing allowance", but 17000/year will cover less than half of your rent (livable apartments range from 2500-4500 SAR/month)

The housing allowance is a lump sum payment provided for each contract year upon renewal. The furniture/household allowance is generally 8500 SAR given as a lump sum payment as well but only for the initial contract.

Compared to Riyadh, the cost of living in Jeddah, including rent, is lower. Unfurnished one-bedroom apartments in Jeddah can be rented for 1200-1500 SAR per month.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I'd consider international schools in Bahrain. The top two are the British School and St Christophers. You've missed the cut for the September start (which is today), but if you can wait it out, you stand a good chance of being accepted to teach English next academic year. They may even have a vacancy in between if someone leaves.

The UAE probably has some decent UK-curriculum schools you should look at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: