Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korakuen English Centre
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sour Grape

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unhappychappy wrote:

I am being sexually harrassed from an old woman staff. I am a guy!
Today I got told that she is going to have my kid!
WHAT THE FU%K IS THAT ABOUT! Am I going to be raped or what?

You may say oh I am overreacting but either way sexual harrassment is sexual harassment whether it is directed to a female or a male.

An old woman is sexually harrassing you?

Shocked

The reason nobody is dealing with this particular complaint is that they can't believe (as I can't) that you are being serious.
sallycat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unhappychappy wrote:
Perhaps I should clear this up.

You may say oh I am overreacting but either way sexual harrassment is sexual harassment whether it is directed to a female or a male.

I have asked for that person to stop it but nothing has been done.

WIth regard to the union, I think they are on the right track.

Your right I am fustrated that nothing has been done.

no, i don't think you're over-reacting. it sounds scary. make sure you tell as many people as possible and collect any written evidence you can (i.e. if she's writing notes to you). if she's insane enough to claim she's going to have your kid, she's insane enough to make other accusations, too.
Jazz1975

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sallycat wrote:
unhappychappy wrote:
Perhaps I should clear this up.

I have asked for that person to stop it but nothing has been done.

WIth regard to the union, I think they are on the right track.

Your right I am fustrated that nothing has been done.

no, i don't think you're over-reacting. it sounds scary. make sure you tell as many people as possible and collect any written evidence you can (i.e. if she's writing notes to you). if she's insane enough to claim she's going to have your kid, she's insane enough to make other accusations, too.

Ditto. I'm all for believing someone that's been victimized by sexual harassment regardless of whether they're female or male. It can happen to anyone anywhere.
yamanote senbei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sexual harassment isn't anything to joke about. The problem is when you are dispatched, and in this case illegally, who do you complain to Korakuen, the school board, or the school that you work at?
wangtesol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently heard that the owner of Korakuen claims to be the person to have created illegal outsourcing (gyomu itaku) to public schools 30 years ago!!!!

And now he runs an offshoot branch in Shanghai, so China and illegally dispatched English teachers will go through similar legal problems as here. Time to export our labour knowledge to the China Forum on ESL Cafe.
Big John Stud

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sour Grape wrote:
unhappychappy wrote:

An old woman is sexually harrassing you?

Shocked

The reason nobody is dealing with this particular complaint is that they can't believe (as I can't) that you are being serious.

I completely agree with Sour Grape. unhappychappy is playing with everyone's head on this thread!
Big John Stud

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wangtesol wrote:
I recently heard that the owner of Korakuen claims to be the person to have created illegal outsourcing (gyomu itaku) to public schools 30 years ago!!!!

And now he runs an offshoot branch in Shanghai, so China and illegally dispatched English teachers will go through similar legal problems as here. Time to export our labour knowledge to the China Forum on ESL Cafe.

Iwata the owner of Korakuen has been around for many years and does have an offshoot branch in Shanghai. I must admit I wonder if he started this, but Koraduen is no where near the size of Interac or ALTRIA.

At least Iwata operates pretty honest. There are so many dispatch companies that bid low and then try to take advantage of their employees.
yamanote senbei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Korakuen English Centre, was founded in 1976, it is one of the premier language services companies in Japan. We have been dispatching native speakers as language lecturers to various private schools,companies, and private lessons all over Japan.

This is direct off their site. It only became legal to dispatch native speakers as language lecturers in 1999, and that's only if the company has a dispatch licence. Korakuen doesn't have one.
wangtesol

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so it is right on the Korakuen company website that they do business in China. Has anyone gone to the China forum and explained to teachers there what is going on? That is illegal contracts, their management tricks etc...

I have never worked for them, so I really don't know their tricks.
yamanote senbei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big John Stud wrote:
At least Iwata operates pretty honest. There are so many dispatch companies that bid low and then try to take advantage of their employees.

Companies like Korakuen make 30% to 50% off of their teachers. It's illegal but few of the teacher have any idea that they are being so blatantly ripped off by Korakuen and by the schools that they work at.

It's hard to compare Korakuen with the bottom feeding illegal dispatch companies because most of Korakuen's business is with relatively well off private schools not the near bankrupt public BOEs than companies like RCS and Interac deal with.
wangtesol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: korakuen business practices in Wuxi, China Reply with quote

from the korakuen website
Quote:
Korakuen English Centre, was founded in 1976, it is one of the premier language services companies in Japan. We have been dispatching native speakers as language lecturers to various private schools,companies, and private lessons all over Japan.

So Korakuen has been illegally dispatching teachers since 1976? For 30 years!!!!

Wow. This garbage is trying to take off in China as well. I heard on the radio today, in Canada, that the Chinese government wants to place 2000 Canadian teachers into Chinese public schools. The funny thing is, they want certified teachers. Good Luck!

It is the same situation in Taiwan where they have thousands of positions open for ceritified foreign English teachers, but of course, they fill less than 100 positions since what kind of certified teacher would want to teach in poor working conditions for less money than one would receive in their home country?
amonjakku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Korakuen - Skirting Japanese Labour Laws Reply with quote

I recently had the unfortunate experience of working for a hakken gaisha by the name of Korakuen English Centre, managed by one Seiji Alan Iwata in 2016. I had previously submitted my information to Korakuen for consideration as a teacher trainer. As for me, I have been teaching EFL for over 2 decades and have a graduate degree in Linguistics. I’m also black and fairly tall.

Iwata contacted me by phone looking for a last minute replacement 3 business days before the beginning of classes. Iwata asked me about my experience at the jr. and sr. high school level. I told him I hadn’t worked at that level since 2004. He also asked me about my experience teaching essay writing. I explained in detail how a regular essay writing class was conducted. He then arranged an interview for the next day with Ichikawa Gakuen, where I told them the same information. I got the job; full-time.

As there was no employee handbook/code of conduct and I received no orientation to the school, I stressed that I would need help regarding information about the school, classes and students. Didn’t get that. Long story short, 5 weeks later (3 weeks total class time), I was terminated without notice. No discussion. No meetings. No letters. I wasn’t even given reasons for my termination. I actually had to ask. The “reasons” given, by email, had nothing to do with my duties and/or responsibilities as outlined in my contract. In other words, not professional reasons.

For asking for these ‘reasons”, Iwata responded with threats and power harassment in an effort to intimidate me. My dismissal was personal; some student or students and/or staff just didn’t like me. 5 “reasons” had to do with me using short forms or “nicknames” for the students (e.g., Kaz, instead of Kazuyuki). 4 “reasons” had to do with inferiority/narcissism regarding an innocent observation made 4 weeks previously (student came up suddenly behind me and I mentioned she was tiny, as in petite). This same student angrily tried to confront me during class and afterwards, actually tried to start an argument. I had no idea she had tried medical treatment to increase her height, but it had failed. I apologized, but she subsequently accused me of using profanity in our private conversation; sometimes, kids lie. 2 “reasons” even criticized me for actually “forcing” the students to write essays in an essay writing class.

I was paid an extra month for being terminated without notice. However, I believe my termination was wrongful and asked for 3 months. Iwata mentioned he would “never” agree to that. I approached the Labour Inspection Office in Kudanshita, but they seem to have limited influence on companies. The Tokyo Bar Association in Shinjuku mentioned that if I had been employed directly, I couldn’t have been dismissed for the reasons given. Korakuen should pay the entire year’s salary simply for having the audacity to perpetrate this farce.

It is clear that despite the fact that I was hired for my experience, education and skill, in my opinion, person or persons at Ichikawa Gakuen found it impossible to accord me any degree of professional courtesy or even a modicum of respect by talking to me, directly, about their concerns. Quite ironic when you consider that we’re talking about the communication business. Not to mention this behavior is textbook racist.
victory7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just low, how low can they go?

Sorry to hear about that. Yep, for all its first world features and technology Japan still belongs in the 'developing' category re labor relations and rights, especially in industries where foreigners are employed.

I understand most of the people employed by J government bodies like Labor Standards Boards are genuine about improving this but at the same time they don't have the legal weapons to cut down these m chuckas and make them pay and hurt to pay for their abuse of foreign workers. Including English teachers.

On that note I heard an unbelievable story in my local nomiya recently. At first I didn't believe the person who told me, I said it was too late for April Fool's. There is a school with a no. of branches that has just screwed over the English teachers who were good enough to work for that school on a no basic pay system.

They earn jack if students don't ask for them. So the job has zero security. You'd think the people who now run the place might understand that and have some thanks for gaijin willing to work in that system but hell no - they tore up the contracts the teachers had and replaced them with a very short new contracts. So the teachers are under more pressure and can lose their jobs before next year comes.

I want to ask those people - why would you take a reaming like this? And I bet even the Labor Standards Board could do something about that.
victory7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted because of double post.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victory7 wrote:

I understand most of the people employed by J government bodies like Labor Standards Boards are genuine about improving this but at the same time they don't have the legal weapons to cut down these m chuckas and make them pay and hurt to pay for their abuse of foreign workers. Including English teachers.

The thing is, Labor Standards Boards do have the legal weapons to make these people hurt. However, I'm not sure what the OP here means by "Labor Standards Boards." I'm willing to bet that he went to one when there are actually four labor boards in each prefecture--usually in different buildings in different parts of the town--each with its own distinct legal specialty.

I have both used these labor boards before and advised others to use them successfully. Not knowing more (the OP made little sense to me), my first reaction would be to go down to the Roudou Kyoku (労働局) and possibly the Roudou Kijun Kyoku (労働基準局) and the Roudou Iinkai (労働委員会) today with as much evidence as you can muster and ask for them to intervene. If you are not fluent in Japanese, I would bring somebody who is--preferably somebody Japanese. I recommend this course because 1) it is free, 2) they will give you honest feedback on whether you have a case, and 3) assuming you convince them to act, they will act very aggressively for you.

Note that racial discrimination per se is NOT actionable in Japan. However, the contract protections here are far stronger than in many other countries (including the States), and the harassment laws are both broadly defined and extremely actionable. Here, for instance, is the government's definition of power harassment:

https://www.no-pawahara.mhlw.go.jp/foundation/pawahara-six-types/

The pertinent Wikipedia page is helpful as well, particularly this:
厚生労働省は、これ以外のパワハラにも十分注意すべきであるとし、2012年1月にパワーハラスメントの典型例を示した[8]。
暴行・傷害(身体的な攻撃)
脅迫・名誉毀損・侮辱・ひどい暴言(精神的な攻撃)
隔離・仲間外し・無視(人間関係からの切り離し)
業務上明らかに不要なことや遂行不可能なことの強制、仕事の妨害(過大な要求)
業務上の合理性なく、能力や経験とかけ離れた程度の低い仕事を命じることや仕事を与えないこと(過小な要求)
私的なことに過度に立ち入ること(個の侵害)
パワーハラスメントの定義・指針を策定した9県は、岩手(2005年)、大分(2006年)、佐賀(2007年)、熊本(2007年)、富山(2008年)、兵庫(2009年 )、和歌山(2009年)、静岡(人権啓発センター:2009年、人権問題に関する調査・職場における人権問題)、沖縄県教育委員会(ホームページでもパワハラ定義を公開2010年)。岩手、大分、佐賀、熊本の4県は、「コンプライアンス基本方針」や、セクハラも含む「ハラスメント要綱」などの一部に盛り込んだ。 厚生労働省指定法人21世紀職業財団が
「公開叱責(多数の面前での叱責)、人格否定」
「感情を丸出しにするモンスター上司、給料泥棒呼ばわりする」
「退職勧奨や脅し」
「無視の命令」
「困難な仕事を与えて低評価にする、過剰なノルマ」
「パワハラの訴えを聞き流す」
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%91%E3%83%AF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%8F%E3%83%A9%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A1%E3%83%B3%E3%83%88

During your visit to the labor board, you/your Japanese companion should be emphasizing that you are a tax-paying resident with (if applicable) JAPANESE DEPENDENTS. Make sure you and/or the Japanese person with you emphasizes the illegal firing and/or harassment issues, and that you were doing more than satisfactory work in all areas under evaluation before these incidents occurred. Your goal will be to get one of these agencies to act aggressively on your behalf.

Whether you go to the Roudou Kyoku, Roudou Kijun Kyoku or the Roudou Iinkai, they will likely tell you to go somewhere else as "they can't help you there at this stage." (I think they do this to ensure that you're really serious....) Follow their directions and go to the place they tell you. Then, tell the new place that you've been to the other place(s) and were then TOLD TO COME TO THE NEW PLACE.

Basically, the new place will listen to your story and if all goes well, will likely agree to file a jougen (助言) with the school. This will be the first step, to be followed by something called an "assen" (斡旋), i.e., a request for arbitration/moderated negotiations. Eventually, it may end up in court as well...assuming you/the school wants to go that far. (Usually, the schools will choose to settle before this.) Keep in mind, though, that this can be a time-consuming process--anticipate at least six months before a settlement is reached. That said...it's free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: