Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NET Scheme questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdickun83

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: NET Scheme questions Reply with quote

Hi there. I am a certified teacher with six years experience (US and abroad) and a TEFL certificate. I am hoping to get an estimate on what my starting salary would be if i were to get a job in the NET program in HK. Also, do they pay for accomadation?

I looked on line but the website is written in pretty obtuse language.

Thanks for any help.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: NET Scheme questions Reply with quote

mdickun83 wrote:
Hi there. I am a certified teacher with six years experience (US and abroad) and a TEFL certificate. I am hoping to get an estimate on what my starting salary would be if i were to get a job in the NET program in HK. Also, do they pay for accomadation?

I looked on line but the website is written in pretty obtuse language.

Thanks for any help.

Assuming that all your experience and qualifications are ticked off and accepted (no reason they wouldn't be) then I guess you'd start on around 65k HKD per month (that includes the housing sllowance) for Primary.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link for the EDB NET scheme pay is here: http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/sch-admin/admin/about-sch-staff/net-scheme/remuneration-package.html

Basically the salary range (including allowance but excluding retention bonuses and flights etc etc) is approx 47 - 73K / month.

We can assume you won't go in at the entry level but a lot would depend on how much they value your experience.
mdickun83

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

I'm seeing that rent is about 17K in city center and 11K outside. Is that accurate? I'm interested to know what my savings potential is if I live relatively frugally (not going to restaurants much, etc).

I have a friend who is thinking of joining me but he doesn't have his teaching credential. He has a CELTA and two years experience though. Any idea what he'd be looking at making if he got a job there?
CEB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdickun83 wrote:

I'm seeing that rent is about 17K in city center and 11K outside. Is that accurate?

I'd say no! If you want a "real" apartment, it would be more like 25k on the island and 15k outside.

If your 6 years experience are documented and accepted by the EDB then the above post is correct that you'll be on around 63k - 65k. You could probably save between 35 to 40k a month and live very comfortably (assuming no dependents).

The hard part is landing a job. You're more than qualified but there just aren't that many jobs out there. You are literally one of thousands of applicants for 50-60 schools.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdickun83 wrote:
Awesome! Thanks for the info.

I'm seeing that rent is about 17K in city center and 11K outside. Is that accurate? I'm interested to know what my savings potential is if I live relatively frugally (not going to restaurants much, etc).

I have a friend who is thinking of joining me but he doesn't have his teaching credential. He has a CELTA and two years experience though. Any idea what he'd be looking at making if he got a job there?

Rent will vary widely based on size, condition, location, amenities etc etc. Also, you have to choose between a flat share and your own place. If you want your own place, what's your preference? Flats here vary from cage homes (basically a small box with just enough room for a bed) up to luxury apartments. Only you will know your own lifestyle preferences and rental budget. You can check out https://www.squarefoot.com.hk for some rough indication on pricing.

Cheaper flats can be found island-side if you are willing to settle for smaller places and older buildings (walk ups for example). Kowloon side is a bit cheaper and the New Territories even more so.

Your friend will be able to find language centre work or a position in a local school assuming he has a bachelor degree (non-teaching related is ok) to go along with his CELTA. He can expect something in the range of 20-25K / month to start off with but he can always top that up with private students if he wishes to. I know quite a few teachers in this position and some of them are doing very well (e.g. some are earning more than they would under the EDB NET scheme). Note that it does take time to establish yourself, gain local knowledge and build up your network in order to do well in this field.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah rents can be funny. Really depends on what you're willing to accept. Some anecdotes:

I currently rent a two bedroom in Tai Kok Tsui for 14k a month., it's in a modern 'clubhouse style' building and I signed the lease at the peak of rent prices - could prob get it for 13 now.

My friend lives in an older two bedroom in Mong Kok, nice apartment inside, building still has a lift, bathroom isn't great (only real downside) and pays 10k a month.

Another pays 9.5 for a one bedroom in Causeway Bay. It's a walk up so a much older building.

RE job prospects yeah finding a position on the NET scheme can be a challenge. This year there were only 30-40 PNET positions I think, and not all of them were actually advertised publicly. On top of that some advertised publicly already had a preferred candidate. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say on a poor year there could be well under 30 'legit' PNET positions. The EDB massively over recruit for the hiring pool (by hundreds) so competition can be fierce.
mdickun83

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who gets a newsletter with some of the advertised openings so I am hoping that can bolster my chances a bit. But if that fails, does anyone know what the average salary is for a teacher at an international school there? Would it be close to the same?

I'm in Morocco now and while it is fun, I really don't make much. I'd like to save at least 3k USD/ month.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

International School salaries are not quite on par with the EDB NET scheme. I would say the range is mostly between 30K - 70K / month (and perhaps a bit more for the really top tier internationals). This is complemented by widely differing benefits so you have to check each school's benefits policy carefully.
mdickun83

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Thanks for the info everyone.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdickun83 wrote:
I have a friend who gets a newsletter with some of the advertised openings so I am hoping that can bolster my chances a bit. But if that fails, does anyone know what the average salary is for a teacher at an international school there? Would it be close to the same?

I'm in Morocco now and while it is fun, I really don't make much. I'd like to save at least 3k USD/ month.

Apologies for coming across as a bit of a see you next tuesday here but pretty much all of your realistic competition for jobs will have access to the exact same newsletter.

3k USD savings is a massive chunk if you're living on you're own. HK salaries are good and you would likely get closer to it here than most places but I think even on a good salary you might come up short some months (and tbf comfortably save it on other months).

Either way best of luck Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: NET Scheme questions Reply with quote

mdickun83 wrote:
I am a certified teacher with six years experience (US and abroad) and a TEFL certificate. I am hoping to get an estimate on what my starting salary would be if i were to get a job in the NET program in HK. Also, do they pay for accomadation?

"Certified" meaning you're a licensed k-12 teacher? If so, in which subject?
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kowloon wrote:

3k USD savings is a massive chunk if you're living on you're own. HK salaries are good and you would likely get closer to it here than most places but I think even on a good salary you might come up short some months (and tbf comfortably save it on other months).

Either way best of luck Smile

Yup, HK salaries can be great but a few things can significantly affect your ability to save:

1. Lifestyle factors. Unlike some areas where FT's can struggle to spend their income due to lack of things to do or a low general cost of living, HK is the opposite. There's a plethora of options here to spend your hard-earned cash on. If you want to regularly enjoy the comforts of home (e.g. western foods, bars, restaurants etc etc) it can get expensive quickly. Living a consistently frugal lifestyle here can be tricky and requires a strong will and forward planning.

2. High upfront costs for accommodation (whether renting for the first time or changing places). Some people avoid this by flat sharing but this option isn't for everyone.

3. The need to save up for your tax payment. Unlike a lot of western countries like the UK where your tax contributions come out of your monthly income, here you are required to save up and pay your taxes in 2 lump sum payments (usually Jan / Feb and again in Mar / Apr time). This can come as a surprise to some although the general HK taxation rate is quite low.
lugubregondola

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The absolute most you can earn on the net scheme is 107k usd says.
The average is going to be half that so point 29 which is 51k usd. What is tax on that? 10% would leave about 45k usd. I'm guessing there's other deductions like health insurance so the likely average take home pay is going to be around 40k usd
This isn't much for an expensive city like hk. You also have housing pay on top of this
lugubregondola

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some international teachers in china in tier 1 cities on 40000rmb per month plus housing. Most are on less i know, but some get these salaries apparently
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: