Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English Language Skills

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bedevilled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: English Language Skills Reply with quote

I'm new to the Teacher's Forum and while having read through several posts, I am appalled with the poor English language skills of the very people supposed to be teaching it.
ghost

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Poor English Language skills Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of Teaching English, where basically unskilled individuals who happen to have English as their mother tongue can obtain employment as teachers and even University Professors.

As long as foreign countries do not insist on professional training from the country of origin, the situation will continue, because teaching English can be a profitable business for many school owners.

The fact that someone has a 'Certificate in Teaching' from Kalamazoo Institute of Languages, or wherever, does not help the situation either. Many of those places granting Certificates are simply businesses.
ls650

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: English Language Skills Reply with quote

Bedevilled wrote:
I'm new to the Teacher's Forum and while having read through several posts, I am appalled with the poor English language skills of the very people supposed to be teaching it.

I try to be reasonably careful with my spelling and grammar when posting on the Internet, but it IS just a casual forum. If someone quickly taps out a note with the odd typo or misplaced word, I wouldn't sweat over it.
KCA420

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by KCA420 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Bedevilled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a difference between typos and not knowing the difference between 'which' and 'witch'... or for that matter 'there', 'their' and 'they're'.

I was just passing comment and seems as though the only ones 'sweating over it' are the extremely defensive ones... hmmmm... wonder why.
Chester

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Ingrish skills Reply with quote

gee wiiz kiddies.
my typing is pretty bad.
whats your point?
i failed secretary school.
I teach english.
i failed monk school too.
i go to church on sunday.

apalled indeed.
drgonzo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe...
I think one of the worst ones for language on this forum is Willy...
but I think he is just doing that for fun, because I know him, and he is a good teacher, and can speak the English language.

I know Chester too... and he can't speak... damn English/Australian accent.
phis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since "Bedevilled" blew my cover, you are all going to accuse us of working in collusion. If you knew her personality, you would know that there is no way she will agree with what I say unless she truly believes it is so. We have had more arguments than agreements - but we still manage to find a 'middle ground' where we can use both our ideas.

Having said that, I just want to say the same. There is a difference between 'typos' (because your fingers are typing ahead of your valid ideas). BAD ENGLISH, because you don't know it is bad, or because you dont''t give a damn if it is bad or not, and this is what you will tell your students anyhow. And doubts, because you are really not sure and you have decided to bluff your way through.

Don't 'blast' Bedevilled just because she made some statements that you may not agree with. I don't agree with everything she says. But please let us have a reasoned discussion.
Chester

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: reasonable discussion Reply with quote

i dont get it
Bedevilled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this is getting a little out of hand.

Chill people. I was merely making an observation... can't we all just get along?!!!!

hmmmm
phis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes
GuruStip

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait 'til you work in a school and see how confusing for students all the differences between teacher's grammars are. (grammars are, grammar are, grammar is - delete where applicable...)
Canadian verb patterns anyone?

ps- that was a joke, don't stress out please Canadians.
"I wish I would've boughen aboot 10 less beers." Wink
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bedivilled wrote

"I'm new to the Teacher's Forum and while having read through several posts, I am appalled with the poor English language skills of the very people supposed to be teaching it."

Surely it's, "Teachers' Forum" . Also, "skills" should be followed by "them" and not "it".

Twisted Evil Glass houses and stones? Laughing

To err is to be human
cariduit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said Cardinal Synn! I would also like to add that the use of the word "while" in Bedevilled's first post is also inappropriate.

And Bedevilled, who seems so surprised at the negative response her original post received, shouldn't be (surprised, that is) - of course a forum of ENGLISH TEACHERS is bound to respond negatively to a post stating that those "very people" can't speaka the lingo......

And as the importance of being able to spell perfectly - it ain't that important. In the UK a huge spelling test was recently carried out on school kids. The results, which weren't so flash, where then splashed around the media as evidence of how terribly schools are failing their kids.....but then the Guardian newspaper gave part of the spelling test to a number of supposedly very very smart people with very important jobs and they also did not do very well.......

What the hell are we doing with a language that choses to include such confusing words like their/they're/there anyway? Ridiculous. I blame the language, not the teachers................ and if you've been learning any Indonesian, you'll know that a language which perfectly spells words the way they sound, with very little variation on the spelling rules and patterns makes much more sense anyway - and lets not even start talking about English grammar......what a ridiculous glut of tenses we use......waste of energy, I say. Let's just be rid of them all and only speak/write in present tense, with the use of simple qualifying words to explain the WHEN of it all..... make all our lives easier, especially us teachers Smile .....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: