Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ILA CELTA & tattoos in Vietnam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanR1984

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: ILA CELTA & tattoos in Vietnam Reply with quote

Hi all,

Having been put off of taking a job in China, due to the lack of having a degree and the resultant visa difficulties I will encounter, I have decided that I'll probably head to Vietnam, to do the CELTA course there through a company called ILA. Has anyone here heard of them or done the course with them? Apparently they can do the whole package, visa, 5 weeks of accommodation, and breakfast for the five weeks, for $2695, or something like that, which seems pretty god blue to me!

I am quite heavily tattooed, although all of them are coverable with long sleeves, I have none on my neck or hands. It says on the ILA website that tattoos have bad connotations in Vietnam, and I just wondered how true that was? Am I likely to be turned away by potential employers for having tattoos?

Thanks,

Ryan
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots and lots of Viets are getting fashion tattoos these days and, unlike Japan, are pretty tolerant of foreigners having them. For professionalism's sake, you'd do well to cover, but don't be too too concerned.
RyanR1984

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'd rather hoped as much. I expect I'll be wearing a collar and tie to class anyway.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Having been put off of taking a job in China, due to the lack of having a degree and the resultant visa difficulties I will encounter, I have decided that I'll probably head to Vietnam...

A friend of mine has been offered a pretty good job in China. He's got the creds and experience but the level of bureaucracy to get the visa is a bit outrageous (fly home for background check, then to the US to get degree notarized or certified, etc.)

Quote:
...to do the CELTA course there through a company called ILA. Has anyone here heard of them or done the course with them?

ILA is a big-name chain (which some people pronounce as "Eee-La") with branches nationwide, so they're quite well-known. As far as I know, the company was started by a group of foreign teachers, but they eventually got bought out, or something? Anybody know the details about this?

Quote:
Apparently they can do the whole package, visa, 5 weeks of accommodation, and breakfast for the five weeks, for $2695, or something like that, which seems pretty god blue to me!

..pretty god blue? Is that a typo or an idiom? Just curious...

If it's not an idiom, it should be. Cool

Quote:
I am quite heavily tattooed, although all of them are coverable with long sleeves, I have none on my neck or hands. It says on the ILA website that tattoos have bad connotations in Vietnam, and I just wondered how true that was? Am I likely to be turned away by potential employers for having tattoos?

As Rusty mentions, go with the long sleeves. Get a bunch of nice dress shirts. The local Việt Tiến shirts are fine if you don't want to bring them with you.

The "bad connotation" is with Asian gangsters. As Rusty mentions, the int'l tattoo fad is here as well. Some of the female TA's (teaching assistants) will have small cute ones, or some pithy words of wisdom, usually on their wrist of ankle, so it's not that big a deal nowadays.

Are you likely to be turned away? Well, if they're covered up, the school will never know. The main thing they're looking at is classroom performance. If you're good with the kids, they generally don't care much about your tattoos, your smoking and drinking habits, or your appearance (within reason).

Quote:
I expect I'll be wearing a collar and tie to class anyway.

If you get a job at ILA, which if you're young and inexperienced, you're their type, you will be. Most other schools don't require a tie, as far as I know.
RyanR1984

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sigmoid,

I'm afraid it was a typo on my part, I had entered the reply on my phone. It should have read pretty good value.

Thanks for the rest of the advice too.I think I'm going to go for it with ILA. As I said, it's good value, the course they are offering, so I'll only need to pay for my flights, and evening meals, which I hear you can get pretty cheaply in Saigon.

Are ILA likely to take me on without a degree? It seems as if they are likely to require the proper visas and whatnot, even more so than other, smaller schools and employers.
skarper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think lack of a degree may well be an issue.

Plenty of places take people on an ad hoc basis without a degree or anything - not even a native speaker passport.

Do you need a degree for a WP? I'm not sure. I always thought so but maybe a cert TESOL is enough - technically.

The 64000 dong question is always will your school do their bit? Most won't.

Key is if you can cut the mustard in class. If you are popular, reliable and pliable then you will get work.
RyanR1984

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I intend on studying and finishing a bachelors degree whilst I'm out there, through the OU, so I'll have a degree in a couple of years. I figure I can get by until that point, hopefully.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
ILA is a big-name chain (which some people pronounce as "Eee-La") with branches nationwide, so they're quite well-known. As far as I know, the company was started by a group of foreign teachers, but they eventually got bought out, or something? Anybody know the details about this?

A friend of mine worked for ILA before, during, and after the buyout of ILA.

I think a part of ILA was sold or bought (not sure).

He noticed changes immediately as the buyers were local business people who had and have no experience in education and schools and such.

I don't know which of the 3 original foreigners (or perhaps all of them?) sold his or their share.

In the middle of classes an administrator walks into class with a clipboard and the teacher had to sign his name to clarify he was at work and in class.

Sound a little unorganized?

Welcome to Vietnam.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the tattoo issue, I was recently in a brand new monster mall, and there was a well known school with a franchise there. They had a big picture of their foreign academic manager. He was a young man and he was wearing a tie, but he had those big holes in his ears with big round plugs, I think they call it gauging or some such. He was just standing there in the pic, as natural as could be, like this is the way professionals look nowadays.

I think if a school will put that up as the face of their franchise, we are getting awfully close to acceptance of tattoos between the eyes or whatever young people think is necessary for them to truly express themselves.

Like my brother told me, it was easier when we were young, all you had to do to shock em was to have long hair!
sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are ILA likely to take me on without a degree?

Check with ILA. They're most likely to know.

Quote:
I think if a school will put that up as the face of their franchise, we are getting awfully close to acceptance of tattoos between the eyes or whatever young people think is necessary for them to truly express themselves.

Like my brother told me, it was easier when we were young, all you had to do to shock em was to have long hair!

Yes, it seems like nowadays, with all the celebrities, singers and athletes looking like freaks, it's becoming, or has become the new normal, as these are the successful role models.

It's good in a way though because the same thing seems to apply to poorly dressed old guys with craggy faces, 3-day stubble, and shaggy hair, or youngsters who just can't be bothered to groom and dress up.

The emphasis is on performance rather than appearance, which I think most would agree is a good thing.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting theory, however, it always seems like some attributes are not so accepted. Being overweight for example. I also think your example about old guys is a good one. I think older guys (especially here) need to dress nicely and groom themselves more than the young people. It is accepted for young people to always have a 2 day growth of beard, for example, that is actually a style (I think). Older guys cannot pull it off. Cool on a young person is often sloppy on an old person. Don't you think? I know the VN students expect older people to maintain different standards. Interesting how it goes. Smoking for young people is cool, shows a devil may care attitude. Do it for 30 years, you ruin your lungs, your skin, your teeth are brown, you smell terrible, you're old before your time. Older people can't get away with the same things younger people are forgiven for.

Performance should matter most, but interestingly, considering the word performance, we have to remember, we are putting on a show. I think your best show is not put on with a craggy face or shaggy hair. But I can see with the young people, various markers of young rebellion (tattoos between the eyes, etc.) indeed are part of the show, and may eventually be considered a positive attribute. That franchise was not afraid to show that pic of the guy with the tribal ears as their public face.
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanR1984 wrote:
Hi sigmoid,

I'm afraid it was a typo on my part, I had entered the reply on my phone. It should have read pretty good value.

Thanks for the rest of the advice too.I think I'm going to go for it with ILA. As I said, it's good value, the course they are offering, so I'll only need to pay for my flights, and evening meals, which I hear you can get pretty cheaply in Saigon.

Are ILA likely to take me on without a degree? It seems as if they are likely to require the proper visas and whatnot, even more so than other, smaller schools and employers.

I like "pretty god blue"
I think I will keep it in my new vocabulary of idioms now.
ty ryan

end of transmission

Grendal
Mattingly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanR1984 wrote:
Are ILA likely to take me on without a degree?

ILA has always required a certified degree.

Just do your CELTA there and work somewhere else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: