Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taxis versus car rentals in Muscat ????
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying a car or not is a constant debate, I would always have one for the same reasons that I have one in the US. I want the freedom to go where I want when I want... without having to depend on the way too often undependable.

Everyone must set their own financial priorities. It depends on how long one wishes to stay. If a year or two only, I would lease a car... if longer I'd buy. Expat females find it very east to sell a car at the end without losing much... it normally took me a day to sell.

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Not a matter of choice Reply with quote

These days, it's not really a question of "...how long one wishes to stay..." as there is no job security or ability to plan ahead. The job can be taken away any day without warning.

Currently, it's very difficult to sell anything (car, furniture, whitegoods) as the market is flooded with stuff from expats who are leaving the country due to the oil crisis.
So, it's either a case of waiting around to find a buyer who will pay a decent price or of selling fast but for a low price/at a loss.

Salaries are fairly low these days and if anybody wants to save a few Rials for a rainy day or retirement, or perhaps even travel during time off, owning a car will be a massive financial set back.
The sub-continentals throwing themselves in front of cars to extort money to compensate for pain/injuries incurred are anorher headache. It's a blackmailing scheme particularly aimed at single expat drivers, especially females. The "accident victim" likes to wait until you stand at a traffic light, then jumps on the hood claiming it was the driver's fault that they got hit. There are usually a group of 3-4 others who will testify to it. So, you pay the money and get away or you call the police and have more trouble than the 50 Rials that these daylight robbers sting you for.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why I avoided recruiter jobs and always went direct hire... in every Gulf country where I worked.

You need an MA and years of related experience to get these jobs.

VS
No Place Like Home

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a really good deal by renting a car via my landlord. He gave me a very competitive price for a reasonable car which he serviced and valeted every month for me. Always worth asking coz these guys always know someone who knows someone! He also had taxi driver friends who would give me a good price for any trips into the city when I didn't fancy driving. When I consider that my friend has written off 3 cars of her own in 3 years (other drivers' faults every time) then at least having a rented car takes the stress out of dealing with the insurance companies!
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a air conditioned government bus which runs from Seeb to Muttrah and back. The buses come in 10 minutes intervals.

The baiza buses constantly appear.

The trick with taxis is to find out the fares and get to know the drivers (and phone them when required).

No need for a car.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the MWASALAT buses exist but they often do not stop as they are either full or don't take white people. I've hailed the buses many a times even to the extent of jumping in front of the them, literally into the middle of the road. All they do is swerve and continue. Rolling Eyes

Baiza buses ply the main roads only; no side roads are on their routes.

Drivers are often unreliable, even when phoned they may or may not show up or come late, which is a problem when the passengers has an appointment to attend or needs to go to work on time.

Either way (car, taxi or buses), transportation is a real hassle.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've caught the bus at the bus stop often and it's never been full.

I also have the numbers of several reliable drivers.

I let the drivers deal with the hassle on the roads and get from A to B fine.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't ask - just pay the price Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
Except for the airport taxs, there are no meters.
I never negotiate the taxi fare beforehand to avoid the endless haggling that follows.Just ask a couple of (male) students what they pay going from A to B by taxi, that's the price.
Hail a cab, jump in the back and mutter the destination in Arabic. As soon as the cab is there, toss the correct amount of baizas and jump out to be on your merry way.
Most cabbies will accept this technique. If the odd one complains, reply in Arabic that you know the price as you keep walking away.
For regular pick-ups (to work or Arabic classes), get a sub-cab. There are plenty of male drivers from the sub-continent (India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh...), who are reliable, cheap and pleasant. If you are a female, Arabic female drivers are an option. Just ask your female students (be discrete) for contact details.
Naturally, these drivers are not legal taxis but if a friend, neighbour or work colleague gives you a lift, its much the same.

Reminds me of the time a taxi in Manama tried to change me apHId for a two km journey. I told him I wasn't paying that much and that I'd call the police. He said I didn't have to pay if I thought it was unfair. Exit left.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: