Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where Would I Be A Good Fit?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spelunker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: re: agreed Reply with quote

Quote:
When you arrive in Spain, you're on your own, for everything

And post-brexit nothing is guaranteed anymore. We could end up being screwed when it comes to visas, rent, and so on.
DMcK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"On your own, for everything" - the tone of this sums it up.

Be prepared to learn how to survive on very little. You can do it in the fruit n veg shops, but you will lose weight. That said, we eat too much anyway.

However, you can find positions teaching 30+ hours in one location for 25+/h which is not too bad. BUT - enjoy the summer. You could gorge until you burst while you make the big bucks, then lose the excess in the pool in the summer. You won't get these positions, however, before you serve your time in the trenches surviving on worm omelettes, shaking some hands and making some contacts.

Spain is no place for an English teacher with a family to feed, imo.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: re: the EU in general? Reply with quote

Quote:

You will get no disagreement from me there mate. Hard enough as a single person in say, Madrid, in shared quarters, worrying about savings for the summer, let alone for a bloke with a family. Maybe Germany is ok if one is qualified, but the Med countries, as they would say in NYC.....fuggedaboutit!
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: re: the EU in general? Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
Quote:

You will get no disagreement from me there mate. Hard enough as a single person in say, Madrid, in shared quarters, worrying about savings for the summer, let alone for a bloke with a family. Maybe Germany is ok if one is qualified, but the Med countries, as they would say in NYC.....fuggedaboutit!

Germany better than Spain for ESL? What planet do you live on?!
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least the German economy is stronger than those in the south, generally. However, the competition in Germany is huge and full-time jobs are few and far between.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Well, at least the German economy is stronger than those in the south, generally. However, the competition in Germany is huge and full-time jobs are few and far between.

It doesn't really matter that much as most Germans that need it already have a very good level of English. In Spain, there are people in companies desperate to improve. And the government often helps pay for the classes. A lot of people in Spain have woken up to the fact that English is essential these days.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: re: salary wise Reply with quote

Sorry nicky I meant salary wise!

And yes spiral, the german economy should be much better off, ergo, better chance of being paid what is promised in full and and higher than in Spain.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: re: salary wise Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
Sorry nicky I meant salary wise!

And yes spiral, the german economy should be much better off, ergo, better chance of being paid what is promised in full and and higher than in Spain.

I disagree as that's not how the ESL world works. The economy has some importance but you also have to look at demand. Cost-of-living wise you'd be better off in Spain and I don't think the hourly rate is much lower than richer countries (in Paris it's a few more euros an hour for a much more expensive city).
Spelunker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: re: true.. Reply with quote

But even a low paying job in Saudi, pays better than Spain, with much lower living cost. I say if you have a BA and you are single, it's not really worth it to slog it out in Spain, or the Eurozone in general. Germany may be different but I have no masters degree, so it's a no go for me. To each to teach their own....!!!!!
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: re: true.. Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
But even a low paying job in Saudi, pays better than Spain, with much lower living cost. I say if you have a BA and you are single, it's not really worth it to slog it out in Spain, or the Eurozone in general. Germany may be different but I have no masters degree, so it's a no go for me. To each to teach their own....!!!!!

I'd happily take a massive pay cut to avoid living in a country like Saudi.
SirKirby

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are the kids? If they're very small, don't do it, especially not working in a language school!

To make enough to live on you're almost certainly going to have to work early (like start at 08.00), possibly work lunchtime AND work late (like finish at 22.00). And NOT be with the kids on a Saturday morning, either.

Even if you work company classes, they're still going to spread out all over the day (not to mention all over whatever city).
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the OP has been sufficiently discouraged from visiting his thread ever again. Confused
Spelunker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: re: spain and unemployment Reply with quote

Quote:

Get back to me on how 600 euros a week tax free with free flat with no bills in Saudi is a bad deal compared with after sending X amount of emails in Spain resulting in only 2 replies not one single JOB. Nothing personal against you by the way, just saying how it is in the part of Spain I am in.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: re: spain and unemployment Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
Quote:

Get back to me on how 600 euros a week tax free with free flat with no bills in Saudi is a bad deal compared with after sending X amount of emails in Spain resulting in only 2 replies not one single JOB. Nothing personal against you by the way, just saying how it is in the part of Spain I am in.

It hasn't got anything to do with the money; It's all about the culture. I'm not a big fan of Islamic theocracies ( or living in Islamic countries in general) so I'd give it a wide berth. No amount of money is going to make that worth it.

Are you in Madrid? I can't see why you're still not getting replies. Business is still good according to all the people I know on the ground.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: re: fair enough Reply with quote

Like I said, to each their own. Not in Madrid, nor near it. But I'd still take toughing out a few months in the mid east, over a few months of being unemployed in bankrupt Spain. Thanks for the reply, by the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: