Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unemployed with a CELTA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spasibo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't advise a 30 year old to spend 4 years getting a Bachelor degree for the sole purpose of teaching English. It's a waste of time and money. Far better ways to approach it.

Go work in a country which doesn't require a degree.

Sadly Russian companies who teach English will screw the teachers around with poor pay and conditions. Better off just working home for now and take a trip there.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spasibo wrote:
I wouldn't advise a 30 year old to spend 4 years getting a Bachelor degree for the sole purpose of teaching English. It's a waste of time and money. Far better ways to approach it.

Go work in a country which doesn't require a degree.

Education is an investment and not a waste of time and money. In fact, a BA is the equivalent of what a high school diploma was decades ago.

The pool of countries that don't require a degree for immigration/work purposes is shrinking, and job seekers who lack a BA find themselves competing against degree holders for few openings (and declining pay). Plus, some countries require their citizens to hold a BA in order to teach and make no exceptions for foreigners.
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: You are both right in your own ways! Reply with quote

Unless you have the experience, qualifications and good luck to land a lucrative teaching job in an elitist school, it is arguable whether it is worth the time and expense of studying for B.A. just to become an ESL teacher?
It is notoriously badly paid and there are plenty of unscrupulous private institutes who do the industry no justice...there are many stories on- line on this site and elsewhere and this applies to the U.K. as well!.
However,in all fairness I knew several 'old timers' in Russia who had been there many years and were making very good money from private lessons after establishing their reputation.....like everything else it takes time and determination to build up a student network and the competition is very keen.
Nowadays most people can only afford to pay less,often 50% of what they could a few years ago and this is why there are fewer than before who have stuck it out.
After the economic downturn in Europe and elsewhere during the last decade,many people who had degrees and who previously worked in other fields but lost their jobs, decided to take CELTA courses with the aim of starting another career,making the number of qualified people even larger and employers consequently became even more choosy.
Some countries make having a degree a standard requirement anyway,ostensibly because they consider that anyone without university education would not be up to standard?There may also be other demands and where I live, knowing the local language fluently is also necessary to get a job even in a private institute where most of the students are children of school age.State schools jobs,where conditions are much better and salaries and conditions can be very lucrative with seniority are for locals only and highly sort-after!
But as a general word of advice,ESL teaching is something you do because you feel it is your vocation,rather than as a way to make a lot of money or to get work in a particular country in most cases.
Spasibo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points Marruss. I never said a bachelors degree is a bad thing, but if your goal is to teach English then it surely isn't worth it to spend 4 years and huge debt.

You might as well get a useful degree in computer science, engineering, business finance and earn big bucks. Teaching English oversea is a transient, temporary job for most people. I wouldn't spend all my time on a degree if I was only going to teach for a few years afterwards.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spasibo wrote:
I never said a bachelors degree is a bad thing, but if your goal is to teach English then it surely isn't worth it to spend 4 years and huge debt.

You might as well get a useful degree in computer science, engineering, business finance and earn big bucks. Teaching English oversea is a transient, temporary job for most people. I wouldn't spend all my time on a degree if I was only going to teach for a few years afterwards.

The point wasn't about getting a degree solely to teach EFL; a bachelor's degree is the minimum for many jobs --- regardless of the profession. In fact, employers in our home countries are more likely to recruit/hire a degree holder over someone who didn't complete tertiary studies. At least, that's the case in the US.
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Sadly that's often the case nowadays... Reply with quote

A good counter argument might be that there are too many people taking degrees in many developed countries nowadays and then not being able to find the job they had hoped for while there is a dire shortage of people for many other types of work which need other skills rather than academic qualifications- by no means all of those positions are menial or badly paid?
descartes123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still jobless.

I had a few interviews with 'schools' in St Peters, all which turned out to be very dubious. For example: one offered me an ambiguous contract, then went absolutely silent.etc..

I am still trying to land a job there, I am even thinking of non teaching jobs (If that is possible?)

But my experience hitherto in this pursuit has been absolutely dismal.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am still trying to land a job there, I am even thinking of non teaching jobs (If that is possible?)

Not unless you can do something useful that they can't find a local to do...and if you have very high-level Russian language skills.
elkotik

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work visas require a degree certificate as well anyway.

Why not try Moscow? Although many places there are equally shady.

I know of one person who did a CELTA in the UK without a degree and got a job in Cambodia, he eventually did a master's in TESOL after enough experience and is now becoming a qualified class teacher in the UK.
descartes123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elkotik wrote:
Work visas require a degree certificate as well anyway.

Why not try Moscow? Although many places there are equally shady.

Are you sure about the degree certificate for work visas? I heard that a high school diploma can also suffice?

As for Moscow, I really didn't like it compared with Peters. And from what I heard it seems extremely expensive to live, especially on a teacher's salary.
osen77

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi descartes,

I would still try Moscow. As a non-native (with degree and celta) it was difficult for me to get a job teaching English. Russia was easier than other countries, even then I got absolutely no replies from schools in St Pete, but I got a few offers from Moscow. Yes it's expensive, but you can get a flat with reasonable rent away from the centre, and since the metro system is quite good it shouldn't be a problem. And there are schools in the suburbs. At least then you can get a foot in the door, and try for St Pete later?
descartes123

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi osen77

Thanks for your response. In a way you are right. I have just always been set on St Pete's for many reasons. I found the people there friendlier than Moscow too, but I was only there on holiday.

What is it like to live in Moscow?
Spasibo

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised you haven't found a job in Russia yet at all. Lots of teachers with Celta working in Moscow. I don't know about St Pete though.

Usually not having a degree is not a deterrent for schools as long as you have an ESL certificate and are a native speaker. Loads of teachers were leaving Russia after the ruble collapse so there was a shortage. Well good luck hope you find something.

How much actual teaching experience do you have? That could be a factor also.
maruss

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: 'I was only there on holiday...' Reply with quote

You could be in for a very rude awakening to reality if you go to work and live in Russia!Although I had been there many times previously and travelled around quite extensively before I took the plunge, I still found it very hard to adjust to the reality of life there, even though I had a nice apartment in Moscow and a few close Russian friends.
Although I would agree that St.Petes. is less stressful and possibly better for the reasons you have already described, the fact that you have had no job offers should make you ask some serious questions why?
Some years ago the authorities there tightened up on the minimum requirements for hiring foreign teachers and many firms now specify that you have to have a degree before they can accept you, which was not the case ten years ago when I went.
Having teaching experience which is relative to their needs is also a definite advantage.
Having said that though, fulfilling all their requirements is no guarantee that you will have a good experience, as you can read in many postings on this site.It would be well worth your while reading up on some of them and costs you nothing!
osen77

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the nice things about Moscow is the parks, I live really close to one by the canal, and there's lots of things to do there in your spare time. Ok, there's skiing in the winter... Otherwise the suburbs look pretty much the same, endless rows of soviet era buildings. As far as cultural activities go, there's lots of opportunities in the centre, but I haven't had time to explore yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: