Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rents-a survey.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Rents-a survey. Reply with quote

I've just renewed my lease for a studio in Abu Dhabi. It's costs 84,000 AED per annum, which is almost $23,000. In fact my rent just increased 5%.

What do you pay in the UAE?

For any newbies, this is what they'll demand up-front in one hit unless you get a 2 cheques deal in AD. They'll also ask for a 5k deposit and 5k commission and you'll need to buy the furniture. ADDC and the AC companies will also demand a deposit.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Rent Reply with quote

Online Island
Studio
First and only tenant in the flat
Been here 5 years or so
60,000 for three years and went up to 63,000 last year, but did not go up this year
$1428 or so a month
Utilities: 120 AED
Chiller: 85 AED
2 checks
Pool
Gym
Spinney's, Starbucks and shopping are nearby

Could I get a studio like that in NYC for that money? No.
Could I get a studio like that in Wichita or Buffalo for less? Maybe
Location, location, location

Can I walk away with this much salary in my pockets in Wichita? No

Furniture? Dubbizle it for necessities or white goods. Go spartan for the first year. In June you can walk away with amazing deals on furnishings at give away prices. Get to know the Pakistani fellows with trucks by the taxi stand at Al Wadah.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: yup Reply with quote

Yup we started at 77 and they've just increased it. We're moving out after this next 6-month extension. Actually, if I still have a job our next place will be 70k. We have 3 pools, 3 gyms and Boutik mall. However, ADEC have put many teachers in our building so the rents are rising when everyone else's are falling. Our friends live in a studio which is 60k but the contract isn't tawtheek, so he can't sponsor his wife and we all agree the place is grotty (her husband's a realtor). You can get illegal rooms for 35k. The Sun Tower studios across the road are 90k plus. If you go towards Raha they're 95K+. The Corniche wanted 100k in several of the places I looked at, some even more. Abu Dhabi is a rip-off. It might be because I work for an oil company and they take the pish.

However, our friends in RAK and Al-Ain pay about 4 to 5k a month for really nice places.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Al Ain commute Reply with quote

Since Al Ain is in the Emirates of Abu Dhabi, folks can still choose to live in Al Ain and commute. Folks live in Poughkeepsie, NY and commute to New York City every day, too. You balance your options.

The point is that newbies should make sure they understand the full package that they are being offered. Rents do vary, as do the needs of each individual applicant. The economics have pushed the market to value those with single status, rather than married couples or families.

It is unfortunate that some recruiters do not tell you where the job is located. Housing is a significant factor when it comes to the paycheck.
burgess29

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a newbie, I arrived in August. I found a deceent studio (900 square feet) comprising of a living room and bedroom (1 room) with a separate kitchen, separate bathroom and balcony.

It's on the top floor of a new apartment building in Al Mafraq, Abu Dhabi. I negotiated a reduction in deposit and fees. So for the year - I'm paying 55K; half upon moving in and half as post dated cheque. Two installments.

It's a great view and short commute...but when my wife arrives in June, we'll need something bigger...

burgess29
Gulezar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Good deal Reply with quote

Is that out by the Carefourre, on island? Seems that there are quite a few new buildings out that way. Do they provide a pool and gym?

I should have shopped around, but I didn't see anything on Dubbizle and just signed for another year since the there was no increase in the rent.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: re Burgess Reply with quote

Is that rental contract a tawtheek contract because you do know that you can't get your wife a visa without a tawtheek contract don't you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: