Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible scam with Sri Ara Schools. Advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaurez

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Possible scam with Sri Ara Schools. Advice? Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently got a TEFL certificate and started looking for jobs in SE Asia.

I was offered a position by someone claiming to be from Sri Ara Schools (yay!), but shortly after they put me in contact from someone claiming to be from the country's immigration department who wanted a large sum of money from me in return for a visa/plane tickets/etc. (boo!).

It seemed suspicious, so I googled ESL scams and it seems to match the profile.

Just to be certain (because the job offer was very nice - too good to be true it seems) I requested the contact details of previous teachers, which were provided. I emailed both and requested a chat on skype. Both replied, but gave various excuses for why they were unable to talk on skype.

So I'm steering clear of that one.

This is my first experience with something like this (I only started looking for ESL jobs 2 weeks ago), so what would more experienced teachers make of this?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible scam with Sri Ara Schools. Advice? Reply with quote

Jaurez wrote:
I was offered a position by someone claiming to be from Sri Ara Schools (yay!), but shortly after they put me in contact from someone claiming to be from the country's immigration department who wanted a large sum of money from me in return for a visa/plane tickets/etc. (boo!).

This is my first experience with something like this (I only started looking for ESL jobs 2 weeks ago), so what would more experienced teachers make of this?

What specificially is your question about this "job?" Frankly, it doesn't take a more experienced teacher to know this is a stinker. You were right to steer clear.

If you're a newbie and have a BA to go with that TEFL cert, try Korea for your first teaching job.
KayuJati

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure the Malaysian immigration department does NOT book airline flights for you. You buy your own ticket and when you enter Malaysia you go through immigration. I doubt that this potentially fictitious school will line up a visa before you arrive.

I went to Malaysia and studied the language for a couple of months all the while checking job adverts. There was a school with an American degree program (2+2 in those days) and they hired me right away. They worked on transferring my short-term visa (90 days) into a work visa. Yeah, there were two visa runs, but it all worked out and I went 17 years with a valid visa, renewing every other year.

On the ground is better than from overseas.
Jaurez

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I've never encountered something like this, so just wanted some reassurance that I'd taken the correct course of action.
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaurez wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I've never encountered something like this, so just wanted some reassurance that I'd taken the correct course of action.

People should be thanking you for highlighting this.

Not sure why someone above mentioned your BA. Maybe they've never been to Malaysia and had nothing of note to add. Generally speaking, though, employers insist on two years of teaching experience for visa reasons. I say generally because this rule often gets broken even by fairly OK schools. There are a few schools around KL who might be interested, e.g. IH, UK English Matters, Modern English or ELS. Pay won't be great, maybe RM5K, but if you want Malaysia, these are your options. You can do private classes too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: