Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone heard of EZ Learning?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maryrose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi prettygoodsh,

What you have mentioned in this forum is from your position as an employee and I understand it. However, many things have been changed positively here so far whether you believe it or not (in terms of working relationship, salary, benefit...)

I used to be an employee before sitting at management chair, so I feel Ok when reading your comment. But I also want to type these words to let you and others know that we are not that bad.

I have been trying to build EZ Learning Hue to be one of the best center. There will be many staff come and go because of many reasons but this is normal in this open world, to me. I work for EZ Learning and devote my private life to develop it not to let it go down because of such reviews. I learn from failure and mistake.

To me, it's a sad story when remembering about you. I wish you luck with your job wherever you are.

This is such a journey of making mistakes, learning from them and growing better.

Regards,
Mrs. Anh
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence and I'm not yet in Vietnam, but a teaching position paying $800 a month sounds like pittance.

Those are Ukrainian wages[and the women are SUPER HOT].

I can make $800 a month working 8 hours a week ONLINE with no office hours.

$8 an hour is absolutely criminal.

I can make $2000 a month online and in Hanoi have also been offered $26-28 an hour teaching, yes Hanoi is more expensive but I'd be earning 3 times more. Surely a sandwich doesn't cost you three times more, surely a cola isn't three times more.

Also, a lot of the $26-28 an hour don't actually require you to be in the office ,simply turn up and teach and as someone with 8 years of experience I can normally fit the topic to the students fairly easily.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: re: clarification? Reply with quote

Quote:
Those are Ukrainian wages

Care to clarify, because I am utterly confused. This board is for Vietnam. So what use is flapping on about wages in a war torn former soviet republic in e. europe, unless there is a connection to the Ukraine/CIS that I am not aware of?
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ukraine is a dump and a war torn country that is extremely poor, and yet the country can pay the same wages as this place in Vietnam.
cb400

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That offer is not great when you dig into it. $800 a month is insanely low for the HOURS asked, maybe if you had 15-18 hours a week that is an OKAY deal. Even though cost of living in Danang and Hue is lower than Hanoi or HCMC there is also alot less to do.

This is foot in the door type of offer.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as stated, if a teacher is putting in 25 teaching hours EVERY WEEK, $800 is an absurdly very low offer. That's a lot of teaching hours. I'm wondering where is all that extra money going if not to the teacher?

When I came to Danang about 5-6 years ago, I was making $1000 per month just teaching 15 hours. I can understand that Hue is smaller and a less attractive location, but in that case you should be trying add a higher incentive for people to come teach there.

If I was teaching 25 hours every week in the central region, I would expect something like $1400-$1600.

Just do the math yourself. If you teach 25 hours at $15 (low pay already) per hour, you'd be making $1500 per month.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: re: salaries Reply with quote

One thing is certain, expats on here like to discuss money/pay/salaries. Perhaps a new breed of FT from back in the day, guffaw guffaw Laughing Are you all these digital nomad blokes as well?

Quote:
If you teach 25 hours at $15 (low pay already) per hour, you'd be making $1500 per month.

Yet people come over to teach for that pay, so what does that say about the countries they are leaving behind? Even working for minimum wage in a live in position in the UK makes you better off than teaching in Vietnam, so it must be that many don't like their country, or just want a year or two away. EFL in Asia does not pay well, even working with your hands in Aus/Canada pays better, yes, even mopping floors believe it or not.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: re: salaries Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
One thing is certain, expats on here like to discuss money/pay/salaries. Perhaps a new breed of FT from back in the day, guffaw guffaw Laughing Are you all these digital nomad blokes as well?

Quote:
If you teach 25 hours at $15 (low pay already) per hour, you'd be making $1500 per month.

Yet people come over to teach for that pay, so what does that say about the countries they are leaving behind? Even working for minimum wage in a live in position in the UK makes you better off than teaching in Vietnam, so it must be that many don't like their country, or just want a year or two away. EFL in Asia does not pay well, even working with your hands in Aus/Canada pays better, yes, even mopping floors believe it or not.

No.

It's that the cost of living is 100x cheaper in Vietnam. You make $1500 per month here, it's like the equivalent of make $5000 a month back home.
cb400

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: re: salaries Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:

Quote:

The experience and knowledge you again from working abroad is invaluable and is hard to put a $ amount on. For anyone teaching abroad money is not often he most important thing and getting snarky about people's reasoning for it.

I left a good paying position in Canada when I went abroad 14 years ago and never regretted the money aspect. There was several times in my Vietnam career I was making more than I did back home (not teaching) but like most things in VN it was short term.

Like I suggested to the OP, the offer is okay not great. Use it as a stepping stone to Vietnam and 'learn' from your experiences here.

Last edited by cb400 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Spelunker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: re: only while in vietnam Reply with quote

Quote:
You make $1500 per month here, it's like the equivalent of make $5000 a month back home.

There is another side, beyond money, you miss out on. Family, friends, clean air, free healthcare (UK/Canada), and bigger housing space and so on. I still say earning pounds in the UK in a menial job with accomodation provided or working in a trade in Aus/Canada can pay better than being an EFL teacher in Asia. Even 20,000 rmb per month in China is nothing compared to what a teacher with a BA can earn in the middle east.....swings and roundabouts. I have spoken my views for now, thank you for posting yours also. Logging out after this post, as I need to get cracking jobwise...it's August now after all! Cheers and cheap beers whereever you may find yourselves come September.....manhole lid clunks into place, TTFN Cool Shocked Twisted Evil
Mattingly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maryrose wrote:
Hi prettygoodsh,

What you have mentioned in this forum is from your position as an employee and I understand it. However, many things have been changed positively here so far whether you believe it or not (in terms of working relationship, salary, benefit...)

I used to be an employee before sitting at management chair, so I feel Ok when reading your comment. But I also want to type these words to let you and others know that we are not that bad.

I have been trying to build EZ Learning Hue to be one of the best center. There will be many staff come and go because of many reasons but this is normal in this open world, to me. I work for EZ Learning and devote my private life to develop it not to let it go down because of such reviews. I learn from failure and mistake.

To me, it's a sad story when remembering about you. I wish you luck with your job wherever you are.

This is such a journey of making mistakes, learning from them and growing better.

Regards,
Mrs. Anh

Folks, run away fast. Run, run, run!!!!!!
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She wants it to be the best center, and is offering wages that will surely only attract backpackers and people with mental disorders.
maryrose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

800USD/month is a story of the past. Now, we offer higher salary.

15 USD/hour = 1500 USD/month
accommodation provided
transportation provided
tax paid by center
bonus on contract completion

This rate may be not as high as big cities in Vietnam such as Hanoi, HCM. However, this is one of the highest in this city.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: re: backpackers and mental people Reply with quote

Quote:
and is offering wages that will surely only attract backpackers and people with mental disorders.

And the flashpackers (whoever they are!?!) look down on the backpackers, and the long term expats look down on the flashpackers and so on and so on.

Mental disorders? Thought that was a heavy metal band name. If you are talking about people who are ill, and yes I do classify what you term mental disorders as illnesses, then those people are at home in an asylum/hospital or getting care/treatment in the community at large as long as they are not a threat. Someone with schizophrenia will not up and leave the UK for somewhere like teaching in Ho Chi Minh or Chiang Mai when they can't get treatment there, and would not last one day teaching anyway, as it would be noticed.Took me FIVE minutes to post this.
prettygoodsh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: EZ Learning re-brands to "American English School- AMES Reply with quote

maryrose wrote:
Hi prettygoodsh,

Regards,
Mrs. Anh

I am glad to hear that your school is trying to learn from your past mistakes and misjudgments. Social media can come back to bite you in these times. You say your school is "Not that bad" which says it all really. How about trying to be a good school? For that, you need positive values and honest management. I wish you all the best. There are many great hard working staff there and I hope they are appreciated.

Good luck with your new re-branding of the school "American English School- AMES Hue".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: