Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smile English School

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickgrace1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Smile English School Reply with quote

Hello. Does anyone know anything about this company? Good, bad or terrible? Just seen an advert and curious.
Thanks.
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Try answering a few essential questions: Reply with quote

Where are they situated?What kind of visa do they offer?What kind of stds. do they expect you to teach?(kids or adults etc)What are the expected teaching hours and are they at the firms offices?Do they offer accom.-if so, is it shared and where is it situated in relation to work?

And of course what do they pay?Remember that there are around 70 roubles to the euro at present and few vacancies advertised pay more than 50.000 per month,even in Moscow-.often less in other cities and essentials are not cheap!
nickgrace1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. To be honest I was looking for info on what the school is actually like to work for. The deal they offer is pretty good for Moscow.
maruss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: A good deal? Reply with quote

A good deal in Moscow includes decent accommodation,preferably not shared and a salary of at least around 70.000 roubles,which is about 1000 euros per month nett,preferably more because life there is expensive.Then consider what kind of age groups you will be teaching,what the hours are and what the lesson times are(avoid split shifts unless you live very close to where you will be working or you will waste hours on stressful commuting in all kinds of weather!)Twenty-five academic hours per week is enough,bearing in mind you may have admin and lesson planning etc.on top?
Do you have to pay for your own flights and visa etc. and then get a refund at the end of the contract?
Let me know more and try to talk with someone who already works there before agreeing to anything.
nickgrace1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
They give visa support, flights and pay between 70-150,000 rbl a month based on experiance.
I would just like to know if the school is good or not.
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Good or not? Reply with quote

The only way is to find out ask one of their ex-pat staff...or hope one of them sees this posting?
Oscar_1888

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Smile_Teacher! Reply with quote

Hi,

I saw this post, would like to answer a few questions! (5-months with Smile)

Smile provides a work visa, flight reimbursement after three months and shared accommodation or you can opt to have your own flat but of course you must pay for it - they help you find the flat. The accommodation is usually 20 to 40mins from the office.

Salary ranges from 70,000 - 150,000, depending on experience.

I've been with Smile for five months and I am content! I look forward to the future, perhaps 2 to 5 years! And Moscow is stellar!

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask!
maruss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: That's not too bad money..... Reply with quote

Well by standards today in Russia at least, today.If you rent your own flat in that area, which is a suburban town of Moscow, I suppose about 20-30.000 will be enough for something decent, but probably plus bills for heating etc?
My main hesitation would be if it involved teaching kids, although this is a question of preference and also what suits you best.Some younger teachers actually prefer it!Just as well as I doubt if you would get many adults away from the more central areas?
maw

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Russia Reply with quote

Thank you Oscar for your post.
Glad to hear you're having a good time with Smile. I have just started looking at positions available for teaching in Russia so it was inspiring to read your positive feedback. I'm from New Zealand and am wanting to be closer to Finland to be near family but dont have the EU passport. Do you find that Russian schools accept teachers without the EU passport or degrees/masters. I dont have a degree, but have 15 years experience of teaching ESOL at all levels and have taught in Universities and Polytechnics here in New Zealand.
maruss

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Good questions! Reply with quote

Well I did meet several Aussies.Americans,Irish, Canadians etc. while I was teaching there so I wouldn't let being a 'Kiwi' put you off as you are still a native English speaker.You also have good experience to go with that which I am sure some employers there would appreciate?
The degree question is one which you will get various replies to: officially since they changed the rules in Russia some years ago, to get you a one-year legal work-permit as a foreign teacher they need to show that you have a degree-but then some firms still give you work if you come with a business visa.Anyway, search around carefully and don't expect too much,especially as you will want to be in St Petes area which is near to Finland.
maw

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Oscar...im about to send off my CV to a few places in St Petersburg which I found online so will see what happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: