Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Forum To Post: Helping Syrian Refugees?

 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ebooktrial0001



Joined: 02 Jan 2014
Posts: 156

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Which Forum To Post: Helping Syrian Refugees? Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I have met some Syrian refugees and feel it is a genuinely unfortunate situation they are in. I have some contacts in higher education; but, I feel that not enough is being done for basic education, in English.

Does anyone know some good institutions, first-hand, to offer help?

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 11245
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post is very vague. Other than the UN and various NGOs that focus on Syrian refugee issues, you're asking about institutions to do what exactly and in which country?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rtm



Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Posts: 1002
Location: US

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Forum To Post: Helping Syrian Refugees? Reply with quote

It's not so much an "institution," but TESOL Int'l Assoc. has a Refugee Concerns interest section, which has a number of members who have been active in helping Syrian refugees. If you are a member of TESOL, you should join their listserv. Or, I'm sure the leaders of the group would be able to point you in some useful directions. More info here: https://www.tesol.org/connect/interest-sections/refugee-concerns

As nomad soul said, it depends on where you are talking about. I know where I live, there are local refugee centers that help refugees in many ways, one of which being language support.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team


Joined: 18 Jan 2003
Posts: 6504
Location: Need to know basis only.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are attempts to turn this thread into a discussion of politics, the thread will no longer be available. Any authors of such attempts will be banned along with their ISPs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
scot47



Joined: 10 Jan 2003
Posts: 15299

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely help has to be offered on a local level ? On our offshore island classes are being offered with finance from the London Government. There is an increasing emphasis on volunteer teachers, whjch is not sensible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ebooktrial0001



Joined: 02 Jan 2014
Posts: 156

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I just feel that if I could maybe spend a summer or a semester in a country with refugees, it might be a rewarding way to help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 11245
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebooktrial0001 wrote:
I just feel that if I could maybe spend a summer or a semester in a country with refugees, it might be a rewarding way to help.

Then contact NGOs working in the region. But don't expect to teach English; refugees need to learn the language of the host country.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alien abductee



Joined: 08 Jun 2014
Posts: 527
Location: Kuala Lumpur

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
ebooktrial0001 wrote:
I just feel that if I could maybe spend a summer or a semester in a country with refugees, it might be a rewarding way to help.

Then contact NGOs working in the region. But don't expect to teach English; refugees need to learn the language of the host country.

A significant number of refugees are in camps in a country where English is not the first language, and they're waiting for screening to be completed so they can move on to the UK, Canada, Australia. In some cases they wait for many months. Those people are in need of English lessons.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 11245
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien abductee wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
ebooktrial0001 wrote:
I just feel that if I could maybe spend a summer or a semester in a country with refugees, it might be a rewarding way to help.

Then contact NGOs working in the region. But don't expect to teach English; refugees need to learn the language of the host country.

A significant number of refugees are in camps in a country where English is not the first language, and they're waiting for screening to be completed so they can move on to the UK, Canada, Australia. In some cases they wait for many months. Those people are in need of English lessons.

If they're refugees heading to an English-speaking country, then they'll be provided ESL lessons via a non-profit or government ESL refugee settlement program after they get settled into their host country. (I used to be an in-home tutor through my US state's refugee ESL program.)

Given the OP's vague question about higher education in some unnamed country/countries, it's unclear what he was asking about. Regardless, he's American and can easily find info about programs in the US since he won't get teaching work in the UK, Canada, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alien abductee



Joined: 08 Jun 2014
Posts: 527
Location: Kuala Lumpur

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Alien abductee wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
ebooktrial0001 wrote:
I just feel that if I could maybe spend a summer or a semester in a country with refugees, it might be a rewarding way to help.

Then contact NGOs working in the region. But don't expect to teach English; refugees need to learn the language of the host country.

A significant number of refugees are in camps in a country where English is not the first language, and they're waiting for screening to be completed so they can move on to the UK, Canada, Australia. In some cases they wait for many months. Those people are in need of English lessons.

If they're refugees heading to an English-speaking country, then they'll be provided ESL lessons via a non-profit or government ESL refugee settlement program after they get settled into their host country. (I used to be an in-home tutor through my US state's refugee ESL program.) In future just ignore the questions that aren't up to your "high" standards.

Given the OP's vague question about higher education in some unnamed country/countries, it's unclear what he was asking about. Regardless, he's American and can easily find info about programs in the US since he won't get teaching work in the UK, Canada, etc.

This will be news to you but in some receiving countries the organizations set up to assist refugees can be and are stretched to the limit, and many refugees are NOT receiving English lessons on arrival. There are often months long waiting lists for these services. You may have been involved with this in the distant past but the times have a'changed. And in future consider ignoring "vague" questions that don't meet your "high" standards. The rest of us can handle it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 11245
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien abductee wrote:
This will be news to you but in some receiving countries the organizations set up to assist refugees can be and are stretched to the limit, and many refugees are NOT receiving English lessons on arrival. There are often months long waiting lists for these services. You may have been involved with this in the distant past but the times have a'changed. And in future consider ignoring "vague" questions that don't meet your "high" standards. The rest of us can handle it.

My "high standards?" Seriously, no need to turn this into an unwarranted personal attack on me. The OP was last known to be in China, so it's unclear which country/countries he's referring to when he says he wants to "spend a summer or a semester in a country with refugees."

English language programs for adult newcomers to the US are always stretched thin, which is why they rely heavily on volunteers (like me). That's not new. In fact, I usually suggest that newbies on these forums commit to volunteering at a refugee/ESL literacy program in their area as a way to get introduced to teaching ESOL.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China