Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

where is itslatedoors?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Don't be silly.... Reply with quote

For a start,I was born in Elgin in Maryhill hospital,(Scotland)..he's a Brit.Please don't insult me.However,our trails have crossed..it some time back in the wonderland that is called Qatar.
Lucy Snow

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry--didn't mean to jump into the middle of one of those English vs. British things. But your grammar and punctuation are similar--is this something you guys pick up in Qatar?
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: no... Reply with quote

no....it's just being lazy on a keyboard.
bnix

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: The "Late", Largely Unlamented "doors" Reply with quote

I don't see a lot of people rushing to post elegies.Lucy Snow,interesting theory you had there about biffinbridge(WHERE do they get these names?).But apparently(I say APPARENTLY) biff has "scotched" that rumor.Lucy S.,I was thinking along those same lines.

Another theory I had....that "doors' was actually T.D.O.(The Dangerous One)...a guy who used to post outrageous stuff on the old forum.But I guess that was pretty improbable,since the last time we heard from T.D.O.,he was holding off the bandits in Mali Rolling Eyes

Well,I really think "doors" got axed from the forum.Oh well,what the hell...he still has his "supermodel" wife and his highpaying job in Qatar... Laughing Crying or Very sad
bnix

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: The "Late", Largely Unlamented "doors" Reply with quote

I don't see a lot of people rushing to post elegies.Lucy Snow,interesting theory you had there about biffinbridge(WHERE do they get these names?).But apparently(I say APPARENTLY) biff has "scotched" that rumor.Lucy S.,I was thinking along those same lines.

Another theory I had....that "doors' was actually T.D.O.(The Dangerous One)...a guy who used to post outrageous stuff on the old forum.But I guess that was pretty improbable,since the last time we heard from T.D.O.,he was holding off the bandits in Mali Rolling Eyes

Well,I really think "doors" got axed from the forum.Oh well,what the hell...he still has his "supermodel" wife and his highpaying job in Qatar... Laughing Crying or Very sad
travellingscot

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: English/British thing Reply with quote

Sorry to be fussy Lucy,but if someone is born in Scotland and doesn't want to be a Brit,why is it an English vs British thing? By the way,looking at the dates of doors departure and the arrival of biff, i tend to agree with your assumption.
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Give it a Yank Reply with quote

Dear travellingscot,
Actually, we have a similar situation in the States. Try calling someone from Mississippi or Alabama a " Yankee " ( as in " Yankee Go Home " ) or a " Yank " and see what happens.
Regards,
John
Lucy Snow

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: English/British Thing Reply with quote

travelling scott--sorry, I didn't mean to sound insensitive. I've always had trouble remembering who's British and who's English--it used to irritate the hell out of a Welsh friend of mine.

(sigh) Things were so much easier when I lived in Fargo-land...
travellingscot

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Nationality Reply with quote

John and Lucy--i wasn't offended,as i realise that because the language is "English",our nationality issues can confuse many people.I have had to correct many British people who persist in using "England" when they mean Britain,and even television newsreaders have made this mistake and been swamped by emails of complaint.
I think the Irish and British thing can be a real minefield for many foreigners,and when asked by business students what to do,i have told them to ask the person in order to avoid causing offence.
I hadn't realised the "Yank" issue would be anything other than mildly annoying so thanks for the advice.
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Better dead than red Reply with quote

Dear travellingscot,
" I hadn't realised the "Yank" issue would be anything other than mildly annoying so thanks for the advice."
The amount of annoyance will be in direct proportion to the degree of redness of the Southerner's neck.
Regards,
John
Steiner

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: The south will rise again! Reply with quote

...and the ones who'd be really annoyed wouldn't be caught dead north of the Mason-Dixon Line, much less out of the country.
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: ho hum Reply with quote

Travellingscot........it's utter coincidence.
slaqdog

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: where'sthedoors Reply with quote

in answer to sarcy comments. I have met this guy-
yes he does have a well paid job in the hole they call Doha
yes his wife is good-looking
he does have some good jokes and some very s***** ones
My guess is jail, he's become "itscloseddoors"
yes he has more humour than most teflers (but hey thats not saying much)
And, he is mad as a hatter Laughing
scot47

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: itsearlydoors Reply with quote

"Mad as a hatter" ? That is true of large numbers of people in this game.

Do they point that out to you on your supercool TEFL cert course at Dr Awful's TEFL Academy ? No, of course not. They sell you their dubious certificate and diploma programmes by telling you how wonderful the job is and how amany jobs there are. Anywhere you want. Switzerland, the Congo, Malta. The world is your oyster.

The reality is opportunities are limited and many people who do this EFL thing for any length of time end up as severely damaged individuals !

So there !!!!!!!!

Last edited by scot47 on Wed May 07, 2003 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Damage control Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
Ah, a rare opportunity to offer a differing opinion.
" . . . many people who do this EFL thing for any length of time end up as sevrely damaged individuals ! "
I can speak only from my own experience, of course, but having had Lord knows how many hundreds of different colleagues in this field over the years, I haven't encountered many " severely damaged individuals " at all. And those I did, were, I'd say, severely damaged before they ever entered the field. Either I've been unusually fortunate or you've had some real doozies as workmates.
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: