Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fines for giving friends a ride in the car

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Fines for giving friends a ride in the car Reply with quote

http://timesofoman.com/article/73755/Oman/Transport/Expatriates-in-Oman-ferrying-passengers-in-private-vehicles-can-reclaim-fine-if-they-can-prove-innocent

Recently, many expatriates told the Times of Oman (TOO) that they were stopped and fined by police officials for ferrying relatives and friends.

“I was stopped and fined by a police official on the basis that I was transporting my friend in return for money two days back. I was just helping my close friend to reach airport in my private vehicle. We tried our best to convince the official that we are not doing anything wrong but he didn’t lend an ear to our requests. We were fined OMR35,” an Indian expatriate working at a senior position in a company in Muscat, told TOO.

“I drive a sedan. I annually pay taxes and insurance to have four people in my car. How can the police stop me and slap a fine for helping my friend to reach airport? I was stopped in Al Khuwair and fined,” the expatriate, who was fined, said.

A group of expatriates who went in a car to celebrate a birthday party was also fined.

“I went to Qurum to celebrate my birthday. My friend was driving the car. My group was stopped by police and we were fined for moving together in one car,” Parth Mehta, told Times of Oman. “While talking to us, the police told us that this is not a new law,” Parth added.

Illegal private operators

Meanwhile, the police official added that this has been done to curb illegal private transporters.

“We know that many expatriates are ferrying people in private vehicles in return for money. So, patrolling is carried out to catch these violators.

However, depending on the circumstances they are caught in, if they can prove they are innocent, then they can reclaim the fine,” the police official added.

Tonia Gray, general manager at Competence HR, said she is surprised the ROP is stating that it will refund fines if the

individual ‘can prove themselves innocent.’

“Surely it the job of the ROP to prove the individual guilty of any offence before issuing a fine. Surely it is better on our busy roads that people ‘car pool’ and isn’t it an individual’s own choice as to who he allows in his or her car? I accept that there should not be ‘private’ taxis as this affects the income of public transport and taxis and there are probably insurance issues, but offering people lifts and carpooling with friends and colleagues should surely be acceptable?” Tonia asked.

Some other expatriates, who were fined after carpooling from the Darsait Church a few weeks ago, said they were surprised by the police’s move.

“We were having a sort of carpooling to visit church. While we were driving back, we were stopped and fined,” the expatriates added.
“As it is Christmas season, we had late night prayers and celebrations. So we got late. And moreover, as we are coming from same area, we opted to carpool to save on petrol.

However, we were disappointed when we got fined,” the expatriates added.

Meanwhile, taxi drivers in Muscat said patrolling should be increased as illegal private transporters were stealing their market share.

“We are not saying that expatriates, who are providing help to a friend or relative, should be fined. But illegal transporters should be identified and caught. Police can find illegal transporters in front of schools and airports. Those who indulge in illegal transporting should be fined severely,” Mohammed Faisal, a taxi driver in Muscat, said.

Question: How does one prove that one is friends with the driver?
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another clear example of Omani BS......how can a 'private' car owner be sanctioned, or fined on the spot for giving a lift to somebody?!! Whatever happened to 'innocent til proven guilty"? As for the crooked 'legitimate' taxi drivers of Muscat and the extortionate charges..... Confused
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect that this is pretty much only happening to expats of a few passports.

Sounds like they are attempting to stop independent Uber-clones.

VS
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like the New World Order for Expats Oh Man style!! Shocked
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was there I knew a lot of Indians who worked illegally as taxi drivers undercutting the local guys. I guess this could be the reason.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me the reason is the unreliability and extortion of Omani taxi drivers.

This week, it was announced that expat street sellers will be banned while Omani street only sellers will be allowed to continue business. If I have some more time, I'll dig up the reference.

Expat street sellers offered lower prices, higher quality and better service. Thus, their business were striving and Omanis got jealous. Lobbying and complaining with the usual 'wasta' (corruption) ensured that they hold a monopoly.

The customers will be the losers and as long as this practice (closing good business and service of expats in favour of expensive, unreliable and poor ones) spreads across other areas, the whole country will be worse off.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about someone getting stopped when he was driving with a friend. Luckily he was able to show evidence on his phone that they were friends on Facebook . Wink Idea Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: