Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about women's clothing in Muscat ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaharaDesert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Question about women's clothing in Muscat ? Reply with quote

Hello,

Can one find ready made clothing in stores/malls for women that are "curvy" (on the heavier side) in Muscat ?

Also, are there places one can buy fabrics and then bring to a tailor to get clothing made ? If so,is it easy to find good yet inexpensive tailors ?
No Place Like Home

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure you can! Marks and Spencer and Debenham's usually have larger sizes in stock. I never got any clothes made but there are lots of tailors in the Muttrah Souk area, maybe someone else has experience of this.
SaharaDesert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Place Like Home wrote:
Sure you can! Marks and Spencer and Debenham's usually have larger sizes in stock. I never got any clothes made but there are lots of tailors in the Muttrah Souk area, maybe someone else has experience of this.

This is good to know!
Can anyone here comment on their experiences with fabric stores and tailors in Muscat ?
Noelle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indian Art Palace in Al Qurum has great fabrics, but I wouldn't recommend using their tailor services. Very expensive. Suggest buying fabric there and taking it to a cheaper tailor you hear about through word of mouth.

I found a lot of the western shops in Muscat to be bland-- lots of clothes that I suspect UK/European stores didn't actually want on their racks, so perhaps they were sent to the M.E.Sad

Shoes also seemed to be very wide... everywhere.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Clorhing Reply with quote

Most people I know buy their clothes (underwear, beachware) and shoes back home or in Dubai.
The local tailors stitch mostly abayas and dishdashas. Their skill level may allow for copying of a simple garment. Anything out of a magazine (picture) would be too challenging.
The good tailors charge accordingly and it might be cheaper and less hassle to go to Dubai for a shopping trip.
If anyone has found a "gem" they would never give the particular information. Same goes for drivers. The promise that "I'll give you the details next time" never comes through.
Good service at a fair price is very rare in Muscat and once secured, it is not shared for fear of losing it.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larger sizes in Slash and other shops in City Centre Mall.

For stitching, trick is to take something that fits and get the tailor to copy it. Students can usually point you to a good tailor.

Raise Oman in Al Khamis Plaza, Qurum has a great selection of materials
spudulike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Clothes in Lululand Reply with quote

Are you kidding? Same as in London or New York. Just don't choose to work in Yanquil. Unless you really like camels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: