Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am thinking of moving to New York to teach private ESL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: I am thinking of moving to New York to teach private ESL Reply with quote

I have over ten years of foreign teaching experience in several asian countries. I taught at some highly-ranked universities that many asians would instantly recognize. What I am thinking of doing is moving to New York with the idea of teaching private lessons. Has anyone ever tried this?

The reason I want to teach privately is because it looks like the language schools I see advertising on Craigslist don't appear to pay very much.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad idea if that is your only idea for income.

It was about 20 to 25 dollars an hour for teaching privates you recruit from putting up flyers in Korea town or in Japanese supermarkets in Astors place or other places in the city. That was my experience between 2001 and 2011 when I lived there.

ESL = part-time work in North America. This includes community colleges and language schools. Even if you teach in coffee shops, you need to factor in the cost of a drink, photocopies, public transportation, a cell phone, food, rent, and utilities. Also, last minute cancellations happen, or students who suddenly stop their lessons.

Unless you really want to start your own business and make a glossy pamphlet and fax it out to businesses to do corporate privates, you can't really make a living. This route above will cost a lot of money and time to start up. I worked for someone who did this successfully.

It is better to have some kind of full time job (tutoring company, adult literacy through a non-profit or the library system), or a string of part time jobs, and then supplement these with ESL private work.

The best option to make a living in ESL is to certify and get an MA through Teach for America or the NYC Teaching Fellows. The kids are great, but clashes between unions and schools admins are difficult. I lasted 5 years in the system. But, I did meet teachers who thrived in the system and still work there.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Tim. Corporate privates sounds interesting. I'll give it some thought. Going the certification route sounds like the road to misery to me. I know too many who got chewed up after five or ten years and bailed out. Not for me.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Teach for America program, they expect you to leave after 3 years. You will have a certification in hand and an master's in tesol, which would look good when presented to any other employer outside of public schools.

The New York City Teaching Fellows attempts to retain teachers as long as possible. But the average "chew rate" remains at about 5 years. You could still do it and bail after 3 years with you cert. and master's degree.

After I did the NYCT Fellows program and taught 5 years, I got a pretty good job at a private school in Japan. On the table before I left, I also could have got work a salaried adult literacy teacher through a non-profit network.

So that's just a few more thoughts for you. Hope it helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: