Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Age for retirement?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super Modal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Age for retirement? Reply with quote

I've been searching for information about the cut off age for hiring in Oman and the retirement age. I'll be 50 next month, so I have to consider whether it's a good idea to leave my job in Jeddah where the retirement age is 60.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many jobs are being cut in Saudi, so if you want to move over to Oman, now would probably be the time to do so. (but that job could be Omanized too) I know many teachers in Oman who are between 65-75 years old and been there for years. (these are not in the contractor jobs - these are direct hires)

Nothing is guaranteed anymore in the Gulf. Once you reach the age of 55, getting hired will be very difficult, but in Oman if they are happy with your work, age tends not to affect the employer's ability to renew your contract.

VS
Super Modal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm looking for direct-hire jobs in Oman. KSA is unpredictable right now.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to find a direct hire job in the interior of Oman.....many teachers there are ageless!!
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Unpredictable vs Security Reply with quote

Since the beginning of the oil crisis, the hostility towards foreigners has grown massively as they are seen to take away jobs from the locals. Be prepared for verbal abuse, spitting in your face and the (albeit) rare physical attack.

Teachers leaving have not been replaced. Instead, their students have been distributed, resulting in class sizes of 40 plus students. Teaching hours were increased. A lot of the IT and Administration duties (enrolment of students, management of online materials) are pushed on to teachers.
The workload is massive now.
Salary and benefits have been cut.
Living costs are rising due to inflation.

The absolute ruler is close to death's door (cancer).
There is no heir. Unrest (similar to the Arab spring) and chaos is expected as wanna-be rulers will fight for Power.

If this situation is better than your current one: go for it!
balqis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean EFL Educator, they are ghosts, to develop a joke rolling along your favourite rails....

balqis

Last edited by balqis on Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
Since the beginning of the oil crisis, the hostility towards foreigners has grown massively as they are seen to take away jobs from the locals. Be prepared for verbal abuse, spitting in your face and the (albeit) rare physical attack.

Really? I've been to a lot of places and, whatever their faults, the Omanis are some of the most welcoming and hospitable people I've ever met. I'm sure there are incidences of foreigner/local conflict, but the same could be said of anywhere. Has the country really gone to hell in a hand basket in the five months or so since I left?

Whatever will be wrote:
Teachers leaving have not been replaced. Instead, their students have been distributed, resulting in class sizes of 40 plus students. Teaching hours were increased. A lot of the IT and Administration duties (enrolment of students, management of online materials) are pushed on to teachers.

Conditions are in decline across the Gulf and that's the way it has been for ages. Certainly, this has been exasperated by the oil crisis, but, you would also have a lot of variation based on institutions. For example, at the college I was at, you could have doubled the class sizes and teaching hours [not saying that this is what has happened] and it would have still been manageable.

Whatever will be wrote:
There is no heir. Unrest (similar to the Arab spring) and chaos is expected as wanna-be rulers will fight for Power.

My understanding is that the successor has been fixed and his name is in a safe both in Salalah and Muscat. I don't know why they just don't publicly announce it, but, apparently this is just the way it is done. Given HRH's track record I'm betting on a wise decision on the appointment and a peaceful transition, but, I guess, anything is possible.
madrileno

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Unpredictable vs Security Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:

If this situation is better than your current one: go for it!

I can attest to the not hiring new teachers, increase of duties, and the increase in class sizes at my public college. I haven't witnessed any animosity from Omanis towards expats though.

Cost of living is definitely going up here though. Things are radically different now from when I first came to Oman 7 years ago.
parched

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Unpredictable vs Security Reply with quote

I have not experienced hostility from the locals during my time here. I would describe their behavior in general as polite and friendly.
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only real hostility I ever felt was on a daily basis when those young Omani males were herded into the caravans, like cattle, for English education....
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Hostility Reply with quote

Resentments, passive-aggressive behaviour (allocating the worst students to your class only),sabotage (witholding or giving false Information) ostracism (switching to Arab to exclude you from the conversation) and bullying have always gone on but now it is a notch up to open hostility. The level of hostilitywill depend on the colour of skin, the gender and the place in the pecking order.
White, male native speakers with years of teaching experience and at least a Masters degree will not get bothered. Especially not, if they are handsome.

A dark skinned female newbie teacher gets it.

Anybody "white" is assumed to be a tourist in public places and is spared grief.

Racism is alive and well in this country, it has been exasperated by local people's fear for their jobs/ comfortable lifestyle. The oil crisis and economical uncertainty brings out the worst in people.
Super Modal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this is the case all over the world and throughout history. Look at the election results in the USA.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Racism Reply with quote

True, but it has intensified in Oman since the oil crisis.

The OP was asking for a less uncertain/ troublesome location. Hence, the financial pressure on the locals and their coping strategy of blaming and taking it out on the "foreigners" is an issue.
As is the impending death of the absolute ruler, who had not been seen in public all year due to ill health. There is no heir, which will cause fighting amongst possible incumbents.
Troubles on a large schale are ahead.
Then again: it might still be better than living in Saudi Arabia.

The grass is always greener on the other side.
balancedsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: The real story on retirement ages Reply with quote

Super Modal, please ignore most of what you've read. 14 years in-country and I've seen a lot of people hit retirement age.
[b]
[b]All[/b] government jobs come with a mandatory retirement age of 60.[/b] The exception is SQU, because they don't fall under any ministry, so they can make their own rules.

Things are more flexible in the private sector. They can get labour approvals well beyond that if they supply a justification that's accepted.

What does that mean for us? It doesn't really matter who hires you for the job. If they don't want to keep you on, they'll just say that you've hit 60 and good-bye. If they want to keep you, they will. If you're an agency hire, they'll give the company the necessary justification. If you're employed directly by a ministry, they'll transfer you to an agency, once again with the necessary paperwork.[b][/b]

Government or agency, which is better? Another time.
balqis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The real story on retirement ages Reply with quote

[quote="balancedsentiments"]Super Modal, please ignore most of what you've read.

thanks!

balqis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: