Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oman's severe shortage of teachers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Shortage Reply with quote

Well, there is a shortage of teachers in the colleges but it has been compensated by increasing the class size to 40 plus students, effectively that two classes of 20 students in the one room.

Teachers thus get twice as many students, marking, pastoral care, academic advising and administrative tasks (enrolments, attendance, sick leave,make up exams, appeals,...)

The shortage of teachers in the tertiary sector is real but yet to be reported.
madrileno

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmericanAmina wrote:
I have a BA in English, and my MA in TESOL will be complete by spring, and I have some teaching experience but not at the university level.

You could definitely get a position with one of the Colleges of Applied Science with these credentials. Google the recruiter for these colleges, "Al Nawa", and go from there.

Alternatively, you could apply to one of the private universities/colleges, but I don't recommend this unless you REALLY want to get your foot in the door into Oman. The private colleges/unis tend to have very poor reputations here, with the exception of maybe GUTech in Muscat.

AmericanAmina wrote:
I'm curious about life in Oman and what my teaching prospects there would be. What's the word on the streets? Are the universities hiring? Or just complaining about a lack of teachers...?

Life is definitely slower here than it is in the UAE. The cost of living is also significantly lower. This is reflected in Oman's having a lot less Western amenities than the UAE. With the exception of Muscat, Salalah, and Sohar, you won't find the variety of restaurants, shopping, and entertainment you have in the Emirates. Many people who come here, come for just that reason, though.

For your prospects, refer to my previous answer. The colleges are hiring, just not as much as before due to the oil crisis. The hiring season here falls in mid to late Spring (April-early June) for September starts. Jobs are advertised occasionally though to cover runners or people who choose to not show up after being hired.

AmericanAmina wrote:
I don't mind living in small towns. I usually prefer it actually. I've heard the climate is greener and cooler in Salalah, which sounds pretty appealing to me.

Almost everyone who comes here starts out in an interior town for their first job, before moving to Muscat or one of the other large cities later on. Again, look to the Colleges of Applied Science since they've locations throughout the Sultanate. When you apply, you can specify your first choice, but it's not guaranteed.

Good luck.
balancedsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch, Madrileno!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that schooling possibilities for your kids in the villages is very limited. Home schooling would be tough if you are teaching as Omani employers tend to expect you to be on site for 40 hours a week.

VS
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Be aware that schooling possibilities for your kids in the villages is very limited. Home schooling would be tough if you are teaching as Omani employers tend to expect you to be on site for 40 hours a week.

VS

Thanks. Yes, good point. If my husband and I are both teaching full time, then I definitely need decent options for my kids' schools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: