Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am in Muscat/Need job advice please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaharaDesert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: I am in Muscat/Need job advice please Reply with quote

Hello,

Currently working in Muscat and looking at securing a new position next year at a foundation program at a university or college.
Can anyone here give me some advice in terms of websites that list positions in Muscat or , if you are currently in Muscat like me, do you know of any future openings at your college/university ?
Many thanks.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in Muscat already, I'd say that the best approach would be to first visit their websites to see if they list any openings that you qualify for. (and the usual online job websites like this one) Next visit the campus and see if you can drop off a CV.

If you have a related MA, look at SQU.

If you just have a BA + CELTA, look at the various private colleges. Wikipedia has a list.

VS
Charlie123

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: I am in Muscat/Need job advice please Reply with quote

Dhofar University's Foundation Program had an ad up on Dave's a little while ago. I think they were looking for a December start. Salalah is a much different city than Muscat, but some people really like it.

SaharaDesert wrote:
Hello,

Currently working in Muscat and looking at securing a new position next year at a foundation program at a university or college.
Can anyone here give me some advice in terms of websites that list positions in Muscat or , if you are currently in Muscat like me, do you know of any future openings at your college/university ?
Many thanks.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your NOC situation first.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Check your NOC situation first.

Good point since it's unclear if it's still a requirement: http://gulfbusiness.com/oman-scrap-no-objection-certificate-for-workers-switching-jobs/
SaharaDesert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the tips...will have a look at Dhofar University...
I do not have an MA...just a BA....
rustyrockets

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a CELTA and at least a few years of experience teaching in Colleges? also. What is your nationality? all these things matter a lot in Oman.
baa_baa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-I want to ask about exiting/entering the country. Is like KSA where you have to get permission and they give you an exit and you would have to be back on the specified day or is it like UAE where you are completely free..well compared to KSA.

Like once on mothers day (during my stay in Dubai) I just disappeared for 24 hours. If it weren't for my friend who I had shared the apartment with no one would have known Smile You know you keep your passport enter and exit the country as you please.

2-Do you get paid on time? Im asking about TATI OMAN. (yea still jobless still searching for those who recognized me, and yea Im being considered for tati oman Very Happy )

3-Also can women rent an apartment. I wont even ask if there will be an agent. I was promised one and I got nothing. (for my job in ksa)

The night I arrived to KSA we couldnt find any place to rent. And when we did it was 12am Shocked it was a horrible experience.

4-Do women have to wear abaya?

5-I must ask, they do have KFC and Hardees and Shawarma right? Mr. Green
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oman is much more like the UAE than KSA. No wearing local clothes... I just dressed modestly. (did two stints in Oman for a total of 6 years back in prehistoric times)

My employer always provided me with a furnished flat. (the good old days... still true at SQU) Your employer should assist you in getting a flat even if you just get an allowance and have to find your own. Hopefully they will meet you at the airport on arrival... ask them their procedures.

No exit visas required and your employer should not hold your passport... beyond a short while at the beginning to get your work visa done.

You can also drive... always purchased my own cars.

Can't report on the employer and its pay promptness... (Did you do a search about them? use search next to FAQ... not the site search at the top right)

VS
baa_baa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so so much.

the thing is that for ksa I was promised an agent but he didnt even show up. just some random dr.heard me cry and she gave me three numbers. by 12 am we got a reply sealed a deal and entered the apartment. I will do as you say but I dont expect much.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly yes... good to have low expectations.

VS
baa_baa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are students segregated? are there any men on campus??? Im going through recruitment for tati oman..man its slow like ksa
Charlie123

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baa_baa wrote:
are students segregated? are there any men on campus??? Im going through recruitment for tati oman..man its slow like ksa

TATI recruits for the Technical Colleges, I think. some of the jobs they offer are highly sought after (good working conditions; fair pay). . TATI is generally considered to be one of the better recruiters to work for in Oman, so it might be worth the wait.

Classes are generally coed.
La Reve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: I'm in Muscat/Job Advice Reply with quote

Nearly all private colleges in Oman offer a variety of nightmares: from pay, administrators and colleagues (false credentials) curriculum and housing.

It's best to get a one-year’s master in the UK in linguistics (American Masters take two-three years) then apply to the Ministry of Manpower Colleges of Technology.

The Ministry of Higher Education is not as well organized as the Ministry of Manpower's colleges, regards curriculum and testing.

However, after aniti-government demonstrations years ago, the government offered college to students who desired the stipend and not education. Thus the whole country's educational systems nose-dived.

I was lucky to enjoy 10 out of 11 years in Oman, from about 2000 to 2012. I doubt much has changed since I left, but look for more updated information. If I had, I would have avoided my last year of hell in Oman.
baa_baa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all for the replies..Im still waiting..I keep on getting an email every two three months...thats what happened when I was getting recruited for ksa...hanging in there Smile

thanks again Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: