Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My likely employability in Malaysia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekobus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: My likely employability in Malaysia Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'd like to seek the collective wisdom of this board. How likely am I to obtain a decent teaching position in KL? In terms of qualifications, I hold a doctorate in Russian Studies and have experience teaching undergraduate students (admittedly, not language so much as history and culture); I have a TEFL certificate issued by the Benedict School in St Petersburg, in 1994 (!), plus an excellent reference from the same. Back in 1998, Language Link accepted this certificate as CELTA equivalent, but it only talks about 40 hours of contact time, whereas schools these days appear to want 120 hours.

Experience-wise, as well as 1994, I taught EFL in Russia between 1998 and 2001, but cannot substantiate this - Language Link have not got back to me, and my other employer is defunct. My university teaching took place in 2008-2010, and I _should_ be able to obtain a reference to this effect.

Some personal details: I am in my early 40s, and made a trial move to Malaysia last year with my wife and two children. We like it there a lot, and have begun to build some good connections. The stability offered by an employment visa would be a huge plus. Work in Petaling Jaya would be ideal from the point of view of commuting.

From reading other posts, I gather RM10k is a good salary, with accommodation and flight allowances a bonus - does that still hold true? Is it achievable for someone in my position, or would I be better advised to obtain a CELTA and/or otherwise recalibrate my expectations? I'd be grateful for any advice you might have. Thanks for reading.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get a job at 10k myr then take it and don't look back.
That is about 3x more than your average TEFLer makes (3-4k on average for basic TEFL teachers).

Your unrelated PhD makes no difference in terms of TEFL jobs. Even less so if your passport is not from an Anglophone country. It might get you a position as a guest lecturer at a smaller university in their language center as an EFL teacher.

Your 40 hour TEFL cert was never equivalent to a CELTA regardless of what you were told. 120 hours is pretty much standard for entry level EFL jobs (when a cert is required at all).

Nekobus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back to me with those clarifications - it's useful to hear what a realistic salary expectation might be.

It's true my PhD is in an unrelated field, but I had wondered whether the associated teaching experience might bear witness to, if nothing else, more recent experience in classroom management, course preparation and the like. I am a native speaker of British English, for what that's worth.

And, yes, I agree, 40 hours does not equate to 120 hours, whichever way I try and cut it.

The question remains, though: am I employable as a TEFL teacher in Malaysia with my current qualifications and experience?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekobus wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me with those clarifications - it's useful to hear what a realistic salary expectation might be.

It's true my PhD is in an unrelated field, but I had wondered whether the associated teaching experience might bear witness to, if nothing else, more recent experience in classroom management, course preparation and the like. I am a native speaker of British English, for what that's worth.

And, yes, I agree, 40 hours does not equate to 120 hours, whichever way I try and cut it.

The question remains, though: am I employable as a TEFL teacher in Malaysia with my current qualifications and experience?

TEFL cert, degree, anglophone passport.
Yes, you are employable as an EFL teacher.
10k MYR = unlikely, even with a PhD if you are just teaching EFL.

Straight off the plane you will largely be treated like any other fresh meat. 4k MYR with no benefits.

Nekobus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
TEFL cert, degree, anglophone passport.
Yes, you are employable as an EFL teacher.
10k MYR = unlikely, even with a PhD if you are just teaching EFL.

Straight off the plane you will largely be treated like any other fresh meat. 4k MYR with no benefits.

Again, my thanks. It's good to know that I will have some options as things stand. Would investing in a CELTA raise that initial 4k figure sufficiently to be worth the upfront cost?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekobus wrote:
Would investing in a CELTA raise that initial 4k figure sufficiently to be worth the upfront cost?

Those lukewarm salaries are with a 120-hour TEFL cert.

Instead of pinning your hopes on securing some great-paying, entry-level EFL gig, why not look into either Russian translation jobs or university teaching posts in Russian Studies that allow you to work online while living anywhere in the world? Or change directions to focus on business (see Business council set up to boost Malaysia-Russia trade ties).
Nekobus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

Those lukewarm salaries are with a 120-hour TEFL cert.
Oh.

nomad soul wrote:
Instead of pinning your hopes on securing some great-paying, entry-level EFL gig, why not look into either Russian translation jobs or university teaching posts in Russian Studies that allow you to work online while living anywhere in the world? Or change directions to focus on business (see Business council set up to boost Malaysia-Russia trade ties).

Funnily enough, it's translation that has been paying the bills for the last few years, and offered us the independence of movement to try Malaysia in the first place. I'd love to hear more about these university teaching posts in Russian studies that would allow me to work online - might be another option, especially as I'm much more up-to-date in terms of qualifications and experience. That last link is intriguing, thank you.

Now that we'd like to make a more permanent base there, I'm looking for something which offers an employment visa and - hopefully - therefore greater stability than that offered by doing a visa run every 90 days. It's that stability which is the attraction, rather than the - as you say - somewhat tepid salaries.
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's it going in KL/PJ? I have to say that whilst I'm envious, you're very brave. I lived and worked in KL on three occasions, the last was regrettably now over 12 years ago. Saying that, I married a Malaysian so go back for extended visits at least once a year.

The attitude of my (Chinese) Malaysian wife sums it up for me. She loves going back to Malaysia often as do I, but the political situation means she'd rather live in the west. So whilst I'd really love to live there again for a few years and will do so, I'll always have an exit plan. I'm not saying that Malaysia will turn into Syria, but you've now been there since last year and must've noticed not all is well. Saying that, I've already said I'm envious so in your shoes I'd give it a go.

How are you able to stay in Malaysia now visa-wise? I'd look at that before anything else. I think somewhere between RM4K and RM10K is a fair estimate for income, but in the long term with a family, some serious calculations are needed. A year or two is fine, but I'd be looking at plans after that.

As I say, good luck, and I'm envious, but be careful.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny Hod, ALOT of my Chinese ex students who have gone on to work abroad have ended up working in Singapore, apparently Malaysia 'hates the Chinese' but 'Singapore loves us.'

I've been about 6 times to KL/Malaysia and have had nothing but positive experiences. The infrastructure and people seemed to be on a level above anything else in that area of Asia, and, beside maybe HK [without Mainlanders] and Singapore, it's not until you reach Japan, Australia or maybe UAE spreading out that you hit the same kind of level of development imo.
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, Singapore is a developed country. Malaysia meanwhile has pretty much the same racial mix, although far more land and natural resources, but continues to lag far behind. You won't get any argument from me that Malaysia is a nice place to visit or even live in in the short term, but no one who lives there now will tell you all is well.
KayuJati

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed my 17 years in Malaysia, but I would never go back there now until and unless the Big Thief gets ousted. Too much (typical) rhetoric being thrown around to protect him and some will take that as a license to strike out at westerners.
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always the optimist, reading back I'd say we've been a little bit negative to the opening poster.

Malaysia's an amazing country which offers multicultural experiences other countries just can't match, and whilst I head back there for four weeks a year, it irks me pretty much every day that I can't just stay there again right now for a couple of years or so. I could, of course, but it's not so practical right now.

Saying that, if I never set foot there again, I'd be glad I got to experience Malaysia warts 'n' all. I'm not going to retire in Malaysia (hopefully), but I'm definitely spending a couple of years there again soon.

Just be ultra careful, as it's an interesting country with many problems.
Nekobus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
How's it going in KL/PJ? I have to say that whilst I'm envious, you're very brave. I lived and worked in KL on three occasions, the last was regrettably now over 12 years ago. Saying that, I married a Malaysian so go back for extended visits at least once a year.

The attitude of my (Chinese) Malaysian wife sums it up for me. She loves going back to Malaysia often as do I, but the political situation means she'd rather live in the west. So whilst I'd really love to live there again for a few years and will do so, I'll always have an exit plan. I'm not saying that Malaysia will turn into Syria, but you've now been there since last year and must've noticed not all is well. Saying that, I've already said I'm envious so in your shoes I'd give it a go.

How are you able to stay in Malaysia now visa-wise? I'd look at that before anything else. I think somewhere between RM4K and RM10K is a fair estimate for income, but in the long term with a family, some serious calculations are needed. A year or two is fine, but I'd be looking at plans after that.

As I say, good luck, and I'm envious, but be careful.

Hi Hod, thanks for the good wishes, and sorry to be so slow replying - for some reason I never got notifications that the thread had been updated. We just got back to PJ after 4 months in the UK, and are still getting over the jet-lag...

There's an interesting mirror image in the attitudes of our other halves: my OH has a mixture of Russian and Vietnamese heritage, and actually she's found life in the UK to be very uncongenial - she's had rocks thrown at her before now - which was one of the main drivers in us moving East. But, yes, we have Malaysian friends of all backgrounds who bemoan the direction of political travel. That said, she and I also have ties to Russia - I know where I currently feel more comfortable, as a Westerner. Also, that Russian experience means we also have a plan B constantly in mind Wink (Currently, that's to relocate to Vietnam, where we have extended family, with all the plusses and minusses that entails - which is why we are trying Malaysia first...)

At the moment we're doing visa runs every 90 days, but there will only be so many more times we can do that, I think (although we know of one Australian guy who has managed to keep doing that for 10 years...) Never mind my kids, I need more stability than that, which is why I'm looking for an employment visa. (PVP won't offer the kids a dependent visa; Labuan company costs a small fortune; MM2H doesn't give you employment rights even if we could afford to raise and then lock up the hefty deposit for a year etc etc). My current plan is to get an entry-level teaching job if I can, get back up to speed, and maybe look at DELTA or Masters 2 or 3 years down the line if everything is working out well. Meanwhile, IIUC my OH can get a dependent's visa and therefore the right to work here if I am on an employment visa, and even if not she still has a UK-based business. So we have other income as well as my putative teaching salary, plus of course many fewer outgoings than in the UK. Even without employment here, and allowing for a return UK flight once a year, it's already a financially positive move for us.
meyanga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should try the universities - that would be your best bet. There are loads of private colleges and universities in KL, just send in your CV and/or cold call them.

What is your accent like? If you have a reasonable accent then perhaps you could try the lower end international schools like Fairview or Tenby???I actually don't know what the salaries are like there but it might be worth a try. Fairview Ipoh has an Eastern European principal if I'm not mistaken - I think she's Russian but I can't recall 100%.

Good luck!
Nekobus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyanga wrote:
I think you should try the universities - that would be your best bet. There are loads of private colleges and universities in KL, just send in your CV and/or cold call them.

What is your accent like? If you have a reasonable accent then perhaps you could try the lower end international schools like Fairview or Tenby???I actually don't know what the salaries are like there but it might be worth a try. Fairview Ipoh has an Eastern European principal if I'm not mistaken - I think she's Russian but I can't recall 100%.

Good luck!

Thank you! I do have a noticeable regional accent, which I suspect might have militated against me from the perspective of the international schools. You were prescient about the private colleges and universities: I recently started at one. Not at the lowest rate mentioned on this thread, either, (but, equally, not at the highest...), albeit with no added benefits other than support applying for the relevant permits: it's a monthly sum and that's that. Being on the spot was obviously helpful: they were keen to fill the post quickly, and I think my availability to start ASAP helped to compensate for the potential weaknesses in my CV that would probably have led me to being overlooked had I been applying from the UK.

Thanks, everyone, for your contributions to this thread. I appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: