Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding a job from Quebec?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
albn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Finding a job from Quebec? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm considering teaching English in Japan, but I'm worried my background may be a deal-breaker.

I'm a white male in my mid twenties, recent graduate (BSc) and have no relevant teaching experience. I would say my Japanese reading/listening level is about N2, but my speaking ability (which I imagine is more important) is significantly lower due to lack of practice.

The issue is that I attended elementary and high school in French. So while I learned English from a young age and am confident that I could pass for a native speaker, I can't satisfy the "10+ years of schooling in English" which seems to be a requirement to get a visa for teaching English. Only the last 5 years of my education were at English institutions.

I am wondering if being a Canadian citizen is enough to slip past that requirement, or if there is a way around it somehow. I'm certainly open to the idea of getting a teaching certification if necessary. I'd also be open to moving to Japan before I have a job if it would significantly improve my chances.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Chopin16

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not in Japan but I am in a neighbouring country and yes I think it is easier to find a job when you are in the country but you are young and you should be able to find a job from Canada. You will only earn 250k yen without accommodation though I think as an entry level teacher. I don't know if Japan requires a CELTA/TEFL to teach but you don't need one in Korea, just a Bachelors in any subject. wHY DON'T YOU get a job in Korea first, and then it#s just an hour's flight to Japan to get your Japanese job. You get free flights to Korea and free accommodation here. That's what I have done and I have got myself an interview at an international school now that I am here which I don't think I would have got had I been in the UK. Check out Gaijob Pot for entry level jobs. They tell you whether you have to reside in Japan or not. It's expensive Japan, so be careful.
Chopin16

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I forgot, I would not say I had had tuition in French if I were you. No one will find out. So long as you speak like a native, look like one and act like one, you will be fine.DOn't tell people what they don't want to hear is my advice.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting question. I believe you'd be getting a Humanities visa, which doesn't seem to have such a requirement. Your university degree + Canadian citizenship should be fine.

Here's a link:

http://visa-immi.com/workingvisa/humanities/#criteria

You seem to fall under C of Criteria 1.
albn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the both of you.

taikibansei wrote:
This is an interesting question. I believe you'd be getting a Humanities visa, which doesn't seem to have such a requirement. Your university degree + Canadian citizenship should be fine.

Here's a link:

Thanks for the link - very useful. Seems like you're right.

So I guess this means that the "education done in English" requirement I often see on job postings is not necessarily visa related and just something employers add to weed out non-native applicants? I'm curious if they would actually ask for high school transcripts as proof or something.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

albn wrote:
Thanks to the both of you.

taikibansei wrote:

Here's a link:

Thanks for the link - very useful. Seems like you're right.

So I guess this means that the "education done in English" requirement I often see on job postings is not necessarily visa related and just something employers add to weed out non-native applicants? I'm curious if they would actually ask for high school transcripts as proof or something.

It depends on your passport. If you're from a non English-speaking country, you need to have a certain number (depends on the country) of years of education in English to qualify for a work visa. (The best place to find correct info about this is not here but on the Japanese Embassy web page for your country.) You are from Canada, with a university degree from an English-medium university. Unless Quebec has different rules--couldn't find any, but then I didn't look too hard or long--the requirements are as stated in that link. I.e., no need to submit your high school transcripts.
albn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taikibansei wrote:

It depends on your passport. If you're from a non English-speaking country, you need to have a certain number (depends on the country) of years of education in English to qualify for a work visa.

I see! Thanks very much for all the help.
Chopin16

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no such thing as a high school transcript. Not in England anyway. I have never had to send proof of my high school certs ever I don't think. You are over worrying I think. Just don't say anything. Just say you're Canadian and you won't even have to say you're a native speaker then as it will be assumed you are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: