Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Science Jeddah
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
Chase is currently recruiting for ICEAT. If you apply to Chase, do not apply to ICEAT.

ICEAT has nothing to do with this specific employment opportunity.
Super Modal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: No pay raise until Sept 2017 Reply with quote

Without any warning we are now finding out that we won't receive a pay raise this year. There is no way of knowing what else will be cut, but I'll try to keep updating as new information comes in. It really adds up. For me, it's about $2000 CAD/year. People here are applying for jobs outside of KSA.
1chunk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: No pay raise until Sept 2017 Reply with quote

Super Modal wrote:
Without any warning we are now finding out that we won't receive a pay raise this year. There is no way of knowing what else will be cut, but I'll try to keep updating as new information comes in. It really adds up. For me, it's about $2000 CAD/year. People here are applying for jobs outside of KSA.

Sorry but what did you expect? I'm sure you've been following the news and the recent cuts. Even Saudi citizens have not been spared.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil glut continues. The money continues to disappear. Hiring native speakers was nothing more than keeping up a good self image. I think wages are going to collapse to the point where there's no longer any reason to work in Saudi. Teachers are being forced to share apartments and are now being offered salaries at 2400 US a month. The firings will start increasing. Believe me it will get a lot worse.
FrenchConnexion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't Chase and Red Chair only recruit native speakers? They seem to offer the best packages nowadays, but the visa restrictions stated in their ads is a huge problem.
cloudlessdreams

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Modal wrote:
I forgot to mention that it is a direct hire job, but you are recruited by a recruiter.

I thought that direct hire meant that you weren't going through a recruiter??!

Also is 14000 the norm for related MA and experience teachers?

Super nose dive!

Thanks
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct hire refers to who holds the contract - an institution, not a contractor. Even many direct hire institutions use recruiters.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloudlessdreams wrote:
Also is 14000 the norm for related MA and experience teachers?

If you're referring to direct hire, salary is generally based on verified prior experience. (See The skinny on direct-hire university opportunities.) Ads posted for contracting company positions usually indicate a salary range. Either way, you'd have to apply to see what you'd be offered.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is distinction between recruiters and contractors. recruiters sign you up and ship you off on the galleys. Contractors lure you to the country. You work for them and they hire out your services to the REAL employer. Typically the contractor will be picking up the same each month as the luckless teacher

Modern management technique learned from the Western World.

Much better to go direct hire - which may be through a recruiter.
Super Modal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are employed by the National Guard according to our iqamas.
cloudlessdreams

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for clearing that up.

I've seen the skinny on direct hires but with the new cuts I was trying to estimate typical salaries relating to OP's MA.

Thanks again.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloudlessdreams wrote:
I've seen the skinny on direct hires but with the new cuts I was trying to estimate typical salaries relating to OP's MA.

There are various criteria used for calculating pay for direct-hire positions. Therefore, trying to get an idea of what a typical salary is based on others' situations is pointless. For example, some employers favor post-MA TESOL experience, while disregarding prior teaching jobs. Also, employers don't consider tutoring and volunteer teaching experience. Some may not count paid, non-TESOL work.
Super Modal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: no more return air for final exit and possible 15% of salary Reply with quote

1. It looks like we teachers at KSAU-HS in Jeddah won't be getting the return airfare when we do our final exit. My colleague in another department of the university who is exiting soon was refused it because they said that she used it during her summer vacation. Although it's clearly stated in her contract (as well as in mine) that she is entitled to it, they just won't give it to her.
2. Also, the rumour that we might be charged 15% of our salaries in rent seems to be coming true. There is an ad on Dave's by MD Talent Search that is obviously for our university that says as much.
http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=41418

I expect that these cuts won't be announced in advance just as the cut to our annual pay increase was not announced. Very shady!
bigdurian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: no more return air for final exit and possible 15% of sa Reply with quote

Super Modal wrote:
1. It looks like we teachers at KSAU-HS in Jeddah won't be getting the return airfare when we do our final exit. My colleague in another department of the university who is exiting soon was refused it because they said that she used it during her summer vacation. Although it's clearly stated in her contract (as well as in mine) that she is entitled to it, they just won't give it to her.
2. Also, the rumour that we might be charged 15% of our salaries in rent seems to be coming true. There is an ad on Dave's by MD Talent Search that is obviously for our university that says as much.
http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=41418

I expect that these cuts won't be announced in advance just as the cut to our annual pay increase was not announced. Very shady!

The plane ticket thing is not just shady, it's illegal.

By law, an employer has to provide you with a ticket home.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LaborCourt will take up the case if your employer refuses to give you that return ticket. (But not if you are on a business visa !)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: