Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University work in Vietnam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The bear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: University work in Vietnam Reply with quote

Hell all,

For the past few years I've been teaching in China. University work in China is plentiful, the hours are low, housing provided, long holidays. The downside being low salary.

I was wondering what the situation is like in Vietnam. I've been thinking of moving to a different country within Asia and would like to know a few things about university work in Vietnam, I'd be grateful if you could answer them.

1) Are there many university teaching positions?
2) What's the usual salary?
3) How many teaching hours a week?
4) Other benefits like accommodation, flights, long paid holidays?

For a bit of background I'm in my late 20s, MA in TESOL, CELTA, 5 years of university teaching experience in China and the UK.

Thanks for your input.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: University work in Vietnam Reply with quote

The bear wrote:
I was wondering what the situation is like in Vietnam. I've been thinking of moving to a different country within Asia and would like to know a few things about university work in Vietnam, I'd be grateful if you could answer them.

Certainly. I've worked at 3 Unis in the South and the North.

I assume you are referring to teaching English and/or IELTS and not a specific other subject (in English).

Quote:
1) Are there many university teaching positions?

There are some, yes. I would not say many.

However, if you want to teach at a University and that's your goal you will find a position teaching English or IELTS speaking - but not the other IELTS skills as Vietnamese English teachers teach those.

Quote:
2) What's the usual salary?

Contract salaries are very rare. It's an hourly wage. But they do have you sign (an official) contract that states you agree to finish a class(es) you start.

Unfortunately (IMO) most Unis pay $22 net, which is too low, in my opinion.

Most Universities pay "$25 gross USD" and then tax about $3 to put in their pocket. Do not ever expect to get a tax receipt as proof of payment.

Quote:
3) How many teaching hours a week?

You can get around 12-20 hours and sometimes more.

Quote:
4) Other benefits like accommodation, flights, long paid holidays?

The only holiday is Tet (New year) and the other holiday of a day or two that occur throughout the year.

You're paid hourly so no benefits, and even if you sign a salaried contract you would not get any accommodation, flights, or paid holidays.

It's different than China.

Quote:

For a bit of background I'm in my late 20s, MA in TESOL, CELTA, 5 years of university teaching experience in China and the UK.

Thanks for your input.

You have good quals and experience.
The bear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: University work in Vietnam Reply with quote

Mattingly wrote:
Thanks

Thanks for your input, it's a little disheartening the job doesn't provide accommodation and the holidays are short.

22 USD/Hour is a little more than I make from my job in a university in China, but that's with long holidays and accommodation provided, so it's something to think about.

Cheers
D. Amokachi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried RMIT?
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for your input, it's a little disheartening the job doesn't provide accommodation and the holidays are short.

22 USD/Hour is a little more than I make from my job in a university in China, but that's with long holidays and accommodation provided, so it's something to think about.

What Mattingly describes is correct. Almost all teaching work in Vietnam is just hourly paid, basically freelance. It may seem like a bit of a bummer compared to what you're familiar with. If you want something more secure, the closest is teaching at a primary/secondary school with an English-language curriculum, so-called "international" schools, which are not true fully-accredited international schools but offer some sort of long-term contract with visa assistance.

Everything has advantages and disadvantages though. Here the major advantage is freedom and independence. OK, you to pay to provide your own accommodation, but it's of your own choosing and you can move whenever you feel like it.

Similarly, with holidays you just tell the school when you are going to take a break and for how long. OK, you're not getting paid during that time, but it's your break whenever you want. You don't need to go on holiday with the entire populace of the nation.

So, the basic strategy is to work hard for a while and then have a lazy 2 or 3 months with very little or no teaching, usually during this time of year when there are fewer classes available anyway.

The best thing to do would be to spend one of your long holidays in VN (if you haven't already), see if it appeals to you as a place and pop into a few schools, network a bit or do so via the Internet. Research and explore your options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: