Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DELTA 'equivalent to' an MA?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I thought it would be about six courses.
Anyway, in Australia, at least, it is viewed favorably.
In the US, a MA is better, or of course, a doctorate, at least for administration.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
The Delta is considered an academic qualification. According to the Qualification and Credit Framework in the UK, a Delta is considered to be at the same level as an MA, and a number of universities offer between 20%-50% credit transfer for an MA program if you have a Delta:

https://cambridgedelta.org/2014/01/09/delta_exemptions/

It's not a bona fide academic qualification, which was my point given the requirements to enroll in the modules compared to admission into grad school. It's more like professional development training.

Per that same Delta blog link:
Quote:
"The Cambridge DELTA Diploma is a professional qualification at post-graduate level (a Level 7 Qualification according to the British Curriculum Authority).
The Diploma provides an excellent bridge for those who wish to pursue further academic qualifications related to TEFL at Masters level."
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can it not be bona fide if it equates to up to 50% of an MA degree? Of course it is bone fide, and again you are making very general, sweeping comments when you don't actually know what you are talking about. People read your assertive remarks and think that they are true, when often they are the very opposite.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
bona fide

DELTA is not equal to an MA or to any other academic degree; that's why it's not considered a 'bona fide' academic qualification on its own.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
It's not a bona fide academic qualification, which was my point given the requirements to enroll in the modules compared to admission into grad school. It's more like professional development training.

Per that same Delta blog link:
Quote:
"The Cambridge DELTA Diploma is a professional qualification at post-graduate level (a Level 7 Qualification according to the British Curriculum Authority).
The Diploma provides an excellent bridge for those who wish to pursue further academic qualifications related to TEFL at Masters level."

How can it not be bona fide if it equates to up to 50% of an MA degree? Of course it is bone fide, and again you are making very general, sweeping comments when you don't actually know what you are talking about. People read your assertive remarks and think that they are true, when often they are the very opposite.

My use of "bona fide" in this context is for something that is true or actual.

My comments are based on Cambridge's own description of the Delta (per the link you provided), in which it's referred to as "a professional qualification at post-graduate level." In fact, not once is it labeled by Cambridge as "academic" on http://www.cambridgeenglish.org. Additionally, the number of credits accepted by UK universities widely varies.

Anyway, this Delta-MA TESOL debate is certainly more relevant to employment and academic situations outside the US.
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. In Australia I don't know if it is a requirement for certain positions, but it might be used for professional development.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you well know, if the Delta was just a professional qualification then it wouldn't be classed as equivalent to up to 50% of an MA in the UK. You were making the assertion that it wouldn't be accepted for credit for an MA program when this is blatantly not true which is the essential point here.

The US system is different, and perhaps there the Delta is not classed as being on the same level as postgraduate courses.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
As you well know, if the Delta was just a professional qualification then it wouldn't be classed as equivalent to up to 50% of an MA in the UK. You were making the assertion that it wouldn't be accepted for credit for an MA program when this is blatantly not true which is the essential point here.

(Bolding is mine)
Uh, reread my posts; I have never stated or asserted that the Delta wouldn't be accepted for credit for an MA program in the UK. In fact, I clearly posted that the number of credits varies among UK universities. Again, Cambridge refers to the Delta as a "professional qualification." So instead of pointing the finger at me, your beef should be with them for labeling it as such.

By the way, it's not unusual for American-based professional credentials to qualify for partial US university credit.

and currentaffairs wrote:
The US system is different, and perhaps there the Delta is not classed as being on the same level as postgraduate courses.

That's the gist of this thread; it's unclear how and even if the Delta would be classified in the US since it's a UK qualification. For starters, unlike UK graduate degree programs, many American MAs in TESOL include, at minimum, an academic quarter or semester-long practicum. (An Internet search using 'MA TESOL program practicum' yields link after link of American university programs indicating a practicum.)

Additionally, there are Graduate Certificates in TESOL, which essentially are the foundation and possibly one or more elective courses directly from MA TESOL programs. This would be an option for the OP if he's interested in eventually pursuing an MA TESOL (although this thread is now over a year old). Unlike the Delta, US grad certs require admission into graduate school just like an MA. That said, some graduate certs do not include a practical component because they are geared more toward experienced, practicing teachers in the US. However, there's usually a supervised teaching practice course offered as an elective.

Anyway, what's common for the UK may not have the same relevance or level in the US.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: