Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Passport vs. Other ID

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstack

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Passport vs. Other ID Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of anyone having trouble getting a job because they didn't have a passport? In other words, if I were to go down on a tourist visa with a birth certificate and drivers licence, with no passport, would this hinder my job search? Any opinions on this would be appreciated.
MELEE

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The direct answer is no, I've never heard of anyone being turned down for a job because they didn't have a passport. Probably because no one has ever tried. I wouldn't recommend coming to Mexico that way unless you are staying for two weeks or less.

If you want to work legally, you will need a passport to get a work visa.

Best of luck,

MEL
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Definitely a passport Reply with quote

Having a passport is the easiest way to go. No one questions it as it's universally recognized. A driver's license or birth certificate from Wyoming may stump some people in Mexico.

For a job, you may need more than just the passport, depending on where you go. If you can provide a diploma, certificate, degree, it will go easier and may may be required.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gringo Greg

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: another option Reply with quote

Another option if you are an American and want to leave on short notice..just go to Mexico. Applying for a passport is quite easy at the US Embassy. Just show them your birth certificate and driver's license. It takes about 2 weeks to get it. When I first went to Mexico, I did the same(except passports were issued the same day then). It sure beats waiting 4 to 6 weeks for one back in the states.

Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: