Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Local Hiring and Management Customs...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kim Macintosh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Local Hiring and Management Customs... Reply with quote

Seems to me that my assumptions about handling my career, coming from North American, may be in need of a reality cheque.

It's hard to put my finger on exactly what is going on, to phrase a question properly. So, any experience or illuminating comments on the subject would be welcome. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Here (and in Europe), employers like to see written letters of reference. I am getting the feeling, after a few interviews, that they don't consider me a real candidate until I have quit my prior job and have this paper in-hand. It is as though the prior employer must release their ownership of me. Handily, this practice also obliges the job seeker to be out-of-work and in no position to negotiate. Unlike in North America, I don't get the sense local employers are used to having someone shop for a better deal while still employed.

It also seems to me that those in these inevitably small local communities of English schools all know each other, and they may well informally collude on wages, as well as to not poach on each others teachers. Perhaps they go as far as to call each other up to see if a current employer still needs such and such a teacher....

The use of contracts may help explain these things. Employers may be assuming one has a contract (not always true with foreigners), and their main concern may simply be whether it has been finished, when a teacher would get their reference letter as proof of performance and again be on the market. Still, an employer cannot expect a reference letter until then, so how does one handle things when approaching a new school?

Am I wrong in thinking I'm being viewed askance, as I go about looking for a better deal? How can one even get a real reference letter when you leave, with proper notice, but when the school wants to keep you there regardless, as its Native Speaking, North American, Marketing Face (putting aside teaching)?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here (and in Europe), employers like to see written letters of reference.

Where is 'here' exactly? Would help to know the country you are in...

Quote:
It also seems to me that those in these inevitably small local communities of English schools all know each other, and they may well informally collude on wages, as well as to not poach on each others teachers. Perhaps they go as far as to call each other up to see if a current employer still needs such and such a teacher....

Depends on where you are of course, but I think this is true in many cases. In my experience (primary and secondary international and bilingual schools as well as language institutes), a lot of folks do know each other and communicate regularly. Colluding on wages...that's a stretch to say. Larger institutes and schools are corporations with salaries decided by boards, accountants, and human resources staff. I've seen schools zealously hide their salary information from other schools.

That said, many schools and institutes are part of larger city, state, national, and international associations where salaries are discussed and debated.

Quote:
The use of contracts may help explain these things. Employers may be assuming one has a contract (not always true with foreigners), and their main concern may simply be whether it has been finished, when a teacher would get their reference letter as proof of performance and again be on the market. Still, an employer cannot expect a reference letter until then, so how does one handle things when approaching a new school?

Not following you here...use of a contract is the norm for employment across most industries.

I'd say it's true to say that a school would be concerned that you have finished a contract with a previous employer before considering you (and a reference letter). It is a red flag to HR people if you've left a school mid-contract or otherwise didn't complete your obligations somehow. The thinking is that if you didn't complete a contract somewhere else, you're probably not going to complete one with me.

Quote:
Am I wrong in thinking I'm being viewed askance, as I go about looking for a better deal?

Perhaps, again I think depending on if you are breaking a contract or not. If you have no contract and are not tied to a school year schedule, then you should be fine to be searching. Perhaps it's all down to the way you approach employers and how you answer the question of not being able to provide a reference letter? I'm trying to imagine that conversation...

"Can you provide a reference letter from your last employer?"
"No, they won't give me one OR No, I don't want them to know I'm leaving "

You don't exactly look like a trustworthy candidate if that's the general flow of things for you.

My advice - if you are going to continue on this route - is to indicate to potential employers that you're looking ahead to the end of your contract and can provide a reference letter once it is complete (or after you've given notice if you have no contract) and that you prioritize completing your obligations with your current employer.

Any HR person you talk to will love that sense of loyalty as it makes their job much easier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kim Macintosh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Ecuador. I think, on reflection, that my concerns boil down to communication issues. With good communication people have more confidence in rolling the dice on a new relationship. And "good" English is far from assuming good communication in cross cultural business negotiation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: