Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tutoring under the table in spain. american. no bachelors.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstuartlewis71

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: tutoring under the table in spain. american. no bachelors. Reply with quote

i'm posting a lot these days!

I am an American, with no bachelors, getting my oxford seminar certification next month. i am working with a local non profit, esl organization where i will be volunteering as an ESL assistant for 5 months, while also working on a practicum(5 months) there. This will be my second semester volunteering at Manos de Christo.

I am well aware at how hard/impossible it is to find work in Spain.

I DO NOT expect to find work at any kind of school there in Spain. It would be nice and I am OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS but not holding my breathe.

My questions is: WHAT CHANCES DO I HAVE ON FINDING TUTORING WORK ANY WHERE IN SPAIN?

I hear it is possible to find tutoring work in mostly the major cities in Spain. Mostly Barcelona comes up.

I have plenty of spunk/moxy and am not real shy when it comes to "hustling" for work. I understand doing what one has to do to survive but is tutoring, in you alls opinion a feesability, for someone like me with no CELTA, no bachelors?

Thank you all!
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read up on the Schengen zone. Your chances of earning any kind of steady income are nil, and your chances of deportation along with a ban from entering the EU again for up to 10 years is HIGH.
Dave Rochester

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but he's not holding his breathe!
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True - I reckon he is breathing;-)
I personally think his best bet is to go breathe his breaths in Ecuador, which he says he loves.
mstuartlewis71

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Rochester wrote:
but he's not holding his breathe!

this is your contribution to the topic. k then!
mstuartlewis71

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
True - I reckon he is breathing;-)
I personally think his best bet is to go breathe his breaths in Ecuador, which he says he loves.

so spiral... really?! maybe a tad unnecessary? a little dramatic?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

OP, this is a forum for teachers of the language. If you make a mistake with spelling and/or word choice, you can of course expect to be ribbed. Goes with the territory.

Quote:

No. I'm being realistic, not unfriendly. I presume that you can work legally in Ecuador (I don't know as Europe is my field of play). You cannot in Spain, and the chances that you will - seriously - be caught and deported are indeed quite high.

Again, I suggest that you read up on the Schengen zone and its rules for non-EU member citizens.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked for advice and you got it, plain and simple. You will find places that will SAY they can find you legal employment in Spain, but it's not true. I adore Spain and would do just about anything to live there. I have dual citizenship, neither of which helps me work legally in Spain. In addtion, I have a Bachelor's in Education, a Graduate Cert in teaching languages, two TESOL's 20 years experience teaching as well as writing curriculum and supervising and training new teachers. And I speak Spanish. And I can't get any kind of job in Spain. Believe me, I tried. So, yeah, sad to have someone bust your bubble, but it was a kindness in the long run.
mstuartlewis71

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
You asked for advice and you got it, plain and simple. You will find places that will SAY they can find you legal employment in Spain, but it's not true. I adore Spain and would do just about anything to live there. I have dual citizenship, neither of which helps me work legally in Spain. In addtion, I have a Bachelor's in Education, a Graduate Cert in teaching languages, two TESOL's 20 years experience teaching as well as writing curriculum and supervising and training new teachers. And I speak Spanish. And I can't get any kind of job in Spain. Believe me, I tried. So, yeah, sad to have someone bust your bubble, but it was a kindness in the long run.

Bubble not exactly bursting here. I kind of already came to the same conclusion weeks back. I truly did. I just figured I would give the communications here one last try.

I appreciate your blunt, honesty. I really do. I don't want to arrive in Spain, feeling obligated to play out some charade, in the form of job hunting that will lead nowhere. I'm too old for that shit.

I can save the TEFL money perhaps and just go backpacking in northern Spain with some friends. Does not sound like that bad of an idea these days!

again thanks!
mstuartlewis71

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:

Bubble not exactly bursting here. I kind of already came to the same conclusion weeks back. I truly did. I just figured I would give the communications here one last try.

I appreciate your blunt, honesty. I really do. I don't want to arrive in Spain, feeling obligated to play out some charade, in the form of job hunting that will lead nowhere. I'm too old for that shit.

I can save the TEFL money perhaps and just go backpacking in northern Spain with some friends. Does not sound like that bad of an idea these days!

again thanks!
mstuartlewis71

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:

OP, this is a forum for teachers of the language. If you make a mistake with spelling and/or word choice, you can of course expect to be ribbed. Goes with the territory.

Quote:

No. I'm being realistic, not unfriendly. I presume that you can work legally in Ecuador (I don't know as Europe is my field of play). You cannot in Spain, and the chances that you will - seriously - be caught and deported are indeed quite high.

Again, I suggest that you read up on the Schengen zone and its rules for non-EU member citizens.

No I respect your input concerning how I would have a better chance of getting a job in Ecuador over Spain. This was legitimate and it was appreciated. I had a bad day today, because the "tone" of how you wrote it came across pretty condescending to me, at the time.

I pretty much came to the conclusion weeks back that Spain would not be working out, as far as teaching goes. I figured I would hit the boards here one last time and see if I could find some kind of secret truth perhaps, that eluded me before.

I appreciate your candor Spiral!
mstuartlewis71

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

No I respect your input concerning how I would have a better chance of getting a job in Ecuador over Spain. This was legitimate and it was appreciated. I had a bad day today, because the "tone" of how you wrote it came across pretty condescending to me, at the time.

I pretty much came to the conclusion weeks back that Spain would not be working out, as far as teaching goes. I figured I would hit the boards here one last time and see if I could find some kind of secret truth perhaps, that eluded me before.

I appreciate your candor Spiral!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: