Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nasty surprise outside my door
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chroniclesoffreedom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Nasty surprise outside my door Reply with quote

Well I don't know how to put this. But I woke up yesterday morning only to find a pile of human feces outside my door. Ok I understand it is their country, but do they really need to find the most gruesome ways possible to remind me that they can do whatever they want to me and there's nothing I can do about it?
romanworld

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Nasty surprise outside my door Reply with quote

Chroniclesoffreedom wrote:
Well I don't know how to put this. But I woke up yesterday morning only to find a pile of human feces outside my door. Ok I understand it is their country, but do they really need to find the most gruesome ways possible to remind me that they can do whatever they want to me and there's nothing I can do about it?

Was it placed there purposely or was it an accident? If purposely, it is obviously a statement. Have you upset someone?
Chroniclesoffreedom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Nasty surprise outside my door Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:

Was it placed there purposely or was it an accident? If purposely, it is obviously a statement. Have you upset someone?
No. I don't even talk to any of the people in my apartment complex. I am perfectly well behaved. I don't even have visitors at all.
romanworld

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Nasty surprise outside my door Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:

No. I don't even talk to any of the people in my apartment complex. I am perfectly well behaved. I don't even have visitors at all.

You didn't answer the first part of my question. If it as put there purposely, it is obviously a statement, and a nasty one. I'd be fuming. You might wanna talk with your neighbours or the security guard in your block about this incident.
Chroniclesoffreedom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Nasty surprise outside my door Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:
romanworld wrote:

You didn't answer the first part of my question. If it as put there purposely, it is obviously a statement, and a nasty one. I'd be fuming. You might wanna talk with your neighbours or the security guard in your block about this incident.

I believe it was on purpose. It was a big pile. Like three different people squat there and did their thing. I talked to the other people and some laughed or kept saying sorry I don't know.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why a lot of EFL teachers dont want to teach English to the locals...as they (the locals) pay us in LOCALLY MADE wages... Laughing
romanworld

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Nasty surprise outside my door Reply with quote

I believe it was on purpose.

Well that really is foul. Have you just moved into this place or have you been there a while? If the latter, has anything like this happened in the past? If it has, then I think someone is sending you a message that they don't like foreigners and want you out. You might want to report it to the police in case something else happens again later. Are there no CCTV cameras around?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a disturbing trend throughout ASIA....they are now not as welcoming EFL teachers as before...this POO PILE incident at one's front doorstep is likely to happen more often in the near future....unfortunately we are being seen as the "foreign enemy' in their "local" neighboorhoods!!! Shocked
Chroniclesoffreedom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Nasty surprise outside my door Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:
I believe it was on purpose.

Well that really is foul. Have you just moved into this place or have you been there a while? If the latter, has anything like this happened in the past? If it has, then I think someone is sending you a message that they don't like foreigners and want you out. You might want to report it to the police in case something else happens again later. Are there no CCTV cameras around?

I really don't know what it is about my skin color that makes people so upset. And yes there are cameras around. Yes I went to the police. They laughed at me.

I remember the saying "Ilha formosa. Taiwan will touch your heart". Yes I am sick of people posting videos on youtube and making other blogs about Taiwan telling you just what you wanna hear and making you think Taiwan is that great.

Why is Taiwan so overrated?
romanworld

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Nasty surprise outside my door Reply with quote

Is it? People rarely post here and many that do, myself included, are quite critical of the place. My advice is to use this incident to your advantage and leave the country in search of greener pastures. There's nothing sadder than seeing foreign Teflers stuck in a place like Taiwan when there are so many other better options around Asia. The only folks that talk up Taiwan are the ones that are married to local woman and are stuck there.
Shakey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Nasty surprise outside my door Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:

The only folks that talk up Taiwan are the ones that are married to local woman and are stuck there.

That's it in a nutshell. Cognitive dissonance. I see this in Korea, too, where most of the foreign TEFL teachers are abused and miserable. Many do leave, though.

Taiwan is just but one small piece of the TEFL pie. Move on. See the world. Or move from where you are now and try a new city or change apartments.

As mentioned above, though, look at the lack of activity on the Taiwan forum here. On one hand, I'm kind of a little surprised at how slow the Taiwan forum is, but I guess I'm not really all that surprised since demand for teachers has fallen. 15 years ago this forum was quite active. But the same can be said for Dave's EFL Cafe forums in general. Forum activity has come way down. With Reddit, Facebook, and other forums, Dave's is a skeleton of what it used to be. I rarely sign in here anymore but follow the various Reddit TEFL country-specific forums.
romanworld

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Nasty surprise outside my door Reply with quote

Shakey wrote:
That's it in a nutshell. Cognitive dissonance. I see this in Korea, too, where most of the foreign TEFL teachers are abused and miserable. Many do leave, though.

What is really sickening about Taiwan is the myth the media put out there of the friendly Taiwanese people. How many times have you read or heard about the amazing hospitality of the Taiwanese people? Of course it's all spin. Amazing, though, how quiet the media are when nasty things happen to foreigners. If the media are forced to report on the issue because it has become high-profile, then invariably they will look for scapegoats to blame. In our story here for example the media would likely report that it was other foreigners taking a dump outside the OP's door, thus assuaging the guilt that the ordinary people of Taiwan feel. You've gotta be really desperate to teach English in Taiwan. It really is the dregs.
Shakey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Nasty surprise outside my door Reply with quote

[quote="romanworld"]
Shakey wrote:
In our story here for example the media would likely report that it was other foreigners taking a dump outside the OP's door, thus assuaging the guilt that the ordinary people of Taiwan feel. You've gotta be really desperate to teach English in Taiwan. It really is the dregs.

Reminds me of that time a female Taiwanese politician showed up at a police station office and slapped a foreign professor in the face for his involvement in trying to rescue a Filipino or Indonesian maid from a tyrannical employer. Taiwanese politicians never miss an opportunity to bash the foreigner in public.
romanworld

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Nasty surprise outside my door Reply with quote

Shakey wrote:
Reminds me of that time a female Taiwanese politician showed up at a police station office and slapped a foreign professor in the face for his involvement in trying to rescue a Filipino or Indonesian maid from a tyrannical employer. Taiwanese politicians never miss an opportunity to bash the foreigner in public.

Yes, the poor OFW's from the poorer parts of SE Asia are treated like muck. It's appalling, really. Their human rights are violated every day yet they have no one to turn to. If they kick up a fuss, they are simply deported and labelled troublemakers. Most of these people have religion in their hearts, which is more then I can say for the heathen Taiwanese. You've gotta be real desperate to teach English in Taiwan . . . and the salaries suck to boot.
Shakey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Nasty surprise outside my door Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:
Shakey wrote:

Yes, the poor OFW's from the poorer parts of SE Asia are treated like muck. It's appalling, really. Their human rights are violated every day yet they have no one to turn to. If they kick up a fuss, they are simply deported and labelled troublemakers. Most of these people have religion in their hearts, which is more then I can say for the heathen Taiwanese. You've gotta be real desperate to teach English in Taiwan . . . and the salaries suck to boot.

What the Japanese do with their training or apprentice program and what the Taiwanese do with Filipino and Indonesia maids and Thai construction workes is effectively human trafficking and modern day slavery. It's just labelled as "apprenticeship training", "domestic worker", etc.

Japan has long exploited south east Asians for cheap labor. Taiwan follows suit.

I talked to a maid one day in a 7-11. She was Filipino. When I asked her about her schedule, she told me that her Taiwanese family only gave her 1 day off a month. the Taiwanese work these Filipino girls like mules, take their passports and bully and abuse them into submission.

Ilha Formosa! Taiwan will touch your heart!

Last edited by Shakey on Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: